• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie/TV clichés

Fairly self-explanatory. I would like to nominate these two:

"It's been too long old friend."

"We're not so different, you and I."

Movie/TV clichés

If we're including visual cliches: a shot down a long corridor where the ceiling lights go on (or off) in sequence, each accompanied by a 'doosh' sound.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

'goddamm it, the D.A.'s bustin' my ass'
      'just give me 48 hours, captain'
      'goddamm it, you've got 48 hours'

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

T'aint no movie. It's Machiavelli.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Well, it's in a lot of movies now.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

You're gonna need a bigger thread.

(More an in joke than cliche, perhaps, but definitely overused.)

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

He's a maverick.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

stonelephant wrote: He's a maverick.
                  Actually following Mumpo's suggestion and moving beyond quotes - plots:

A maverick cop strikes out on his own against orders, looking for the men who killed/raped/kidnapped his wife/daughter/sister.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

+1 for the maverick cop striking out against his boss. The maverick cop always has to be likeable too.

How about the 'X's last-minute race against time to tell Y of their love for them' thing? That seems to be in every rom-com type film ever.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

There was that recent film starring Woody Harrelson where the maverick cop was thoroughly dislikeable, But I agree that's very much the exception.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote: 'goddamm it, the D.A.'s bustin' my ass'
                        'just give me 48 hours, captain'
                        'goddamm it, you've got 48 hours'
                        For the win.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

"Why Miss Jones... You're Beautiful!" (after female lead removes glasses.)

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

In romantic comedies there's almost always that moment half an hour or so from the end where the romantic leads fall out over a ridiculous misunderstanding before ultimately getting together in time for the end of the film.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

No sports movie would be complete without the classic training sequence as seen here in Rocky III where the athlete or team are put through their paces to a cheesy musical accompaniment.

Typically they start the sequence rusty, with poor technique, out of shape etc. but after a short montage they are transformed into lean, mean sporting machines. Here's another example from the latest Karate Kid.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

'You're not the first you know'
                                'Sorry?'
                                'You won't be so pretty in a few years, then it'll be someone else..oh, he did't tell you did he, about me, the children'
                                'Excuse me, I need to be somewhere...'

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

El Tel wrote: No sports movie would be complete without the classic training sequence as seen here in Rocky III where the athlete or team are put through their paces to a cheesy musical accompaniment.

Typically they start the sequence rusty, with poor technique, out of shape etc. but after a short montage they are transformed into lean, mean sporting machines. Here's another example from the latest Karate Kid.
                                  You're gonna need a montage!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b7D8E-zvZew

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Reed John wrote:
                                    Originally posted by El Tel
                                    No sports movie would be complete without the classic training sequence as seen here in Rocky III where the athlete or team are put through their paces to a cheesy musical accompaniment.

You're gonna need a montage!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b7D8E-zvZew
                                    They've nailed it!

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Romantic comedies are an interesting form. The audience knows how it will end within the first few minutes of the film - what's funny, or not, and enjoyable, or not, is seeing how they get there. They're usually crap, but not always.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Reed John wrote: Romantic comedies are an interesting form. The audience knows how it will end within the first few minutes of the film - what's funny, or not, and enjoyable, or not, is seeing how they get there. They're usually crap, but not always.
                                        The one with Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep a few years back was all right. Can't remember what it was called. Baldwin stole it; I've realised I don't particularly like the way Meryl Streep does rom com. As Good As It Gets was OK too.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Reed John wrote: Romantic comedies are an interesting form. The audience knows how it will end within the first few minutes of the film - what's funny, or not, and enjoyable, or not, is seeing how they get there. They're usually crap, but not always.
                                          That applies to most 19th Century fiction too.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

I'd give anything for the arrest and prosecution by law of any screenwriter, producer, director and star who consents to film another 'villain who walks away nonchalantly from explosion as it happens behind him' sequence.

When that particular cliche happens, they might as well add the end credit disclaimer 'no original ideas or concepts were used or devised during the making of this film'.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

ian.64 wrote: I'd give anything for the arrest and prosecution by law of any screenwriter, producer, director and star who consents to film another 'villain who walks away nonchalantly from explosion as it happens behind him' sequence.
                                              Even if they're only one day from retirement?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

"You just don't get it, do you?"

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

This one happens at a films climax: Baddie has good guy #1 held at gunpoint and is about to kill him. You hear a gunshot and you're tricked into thinking for a split second that baddie has killed good guy #1. But no! Baddie slumps to the floor dying rather than gg#1. Then the camera pans to good guy #2 (who we haven't seen for the past 10 minutes of the movie) who we now know shot baddie in the back just in time to save his compadre. Hooray!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X