The golden age of quizzing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The golden age of quizzing

That's what a contestant on Pointless Celebrities said on Saturday (3 pointless answers in the final for me, by the way): that this is the golden age of quizzing, or quiz shows.

Well, I certainly can say that I have never loved a quiz show as much as I love Pointless. It is so well thought-through, it needs no gimmicks and presenters shouting in histronically. And the chemistry between Osman and Armstrong is really good. Plus, some questions are set by our man Andy C. I'm not sure I like the new thing of contestants getting three turns. And there should be access to ALL pointless answers in the final round, not just those Osman bothers to read out.

I also love Osman's side project, House of Games. As with Pointless, the questions are set beautifully.

Another quiz show I really enjoy is Australia's Hard Quiz, which is as much piss-taking ans quizzing. Australians are strange people.

I can live with Eggheads, though I can't stand the eggheads. I haven't got into The Chase, and I don't like Mastermind much, especially the right-wing quizmaster dude. In any case, Mastermind would cover all ages of quizzing, golden or otherwise.

So, four quiz shows I like (one is Australia), plus The Chase, which is popular despite my indifference... Does that constitute a golden age? Have I missed anything unmissable?

Just to improve your day slightly, G-Man, John Humphrys is leaving Mastermind after 18 years as of the end of this series. He'll be replaced by BBC News journalist/presenter Clive Myrie from the next series.

Comment

Tenable is quite good G-Man in both concept and presenter (imo - yes, I like Warwick Davis and he makes jokes about being on Star Wars). And then there's Only Connect which has earned it's own thread.

Comment

Is 15 to 1 still going? I thought that was excellent with the questions being of the right balance in terms of difficulty, culture and range of subjects.

Comment

Re. Pointless v The Chase, I've said it before, Pointless just has too much waffle, if they just got on with things it would last no more than 10 minutes. The Chase has been outstanding in recent weeks, what I love about it is the expectation that you will be defeated by The Chaser and the genuine amazement when the The Chaser is beaten. Nearly always Shaun Wallace, who is a massive confidence player and completely looses focus after a couple of pushbacks. The new Chaser, Darragh, is really impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
            Is 15 to 1 still going? I thought that was excellent with the questions being of the right balance in terms of difficulty, culture and range of subjects.
            Sandi Toksvig had hosted a revival in recent years, but that appears to have been unofficially cancelled, at least there hasn't been a new series in recent times.

Another interesting development, ironically caused by Covid, is that elite quizzing tournaments have become much more accessible to the general public - previously, there would be Grand Prix and European Quiz Championships held annually, and generally they were the preserve of the ultra-quizzers, such as Kevin Ashman, Paul Sinha, etc. Now however, with the advent of Zoom, anyone with a tablet is being encouraged to participate in events such as the UK Online Quiz League , the UK Quiz Circuit events, and the granddaddy of US quizzing, Learned League.
            Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 17-05-2021, 20:00.

Comment

As I morph into the old man who shouts at clouds, I find The Chase to be satisfying shouty telly. First, the answers to questions that tell you the answers ("Which 19th century Danish author wrote fairy tales ...?"), and then the bonus shouting, when the contestants refuse thousands of pounds because "I would never take the minus" as if pride was worth more than a new house.

It's staggeringly popular in New Zealand, though that probably tells you more about the standard of local output than anything.

Comment

What is noticeable on quiz shows these days is that "quizzing" as a culture is highlighted and celebrated much more than it used to be. There's no pretence that competitors are random members of the public who have applied on a whim, rather than committed hobbyists, or even semi-professionals, who often have multiple appearances on different shows under their belts. The balance between acknowledging the world of quiz enthusiasts and minimising the risk of less engaged viewers feeling left out has shifted in favour of the former.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  What is noticeable on quiz shows these days is that "quizzing" as a culture is highlighted and celebrated much more than it used to be. There's no pretence that competitors are random members of the public who have applied on a whim, rather than committed hobbyists, or even semi-professionals, who often have multiple appearances on different shows under their belts. The balance between acknowledging the world of quiz enthusiasts and minimising the risk of less engaged viewers feeling left out has shifted in favour of the former.
                  Thankfully, when newcomers do come across the various online competitions (generally through Facebook), the hobbyists and even the semi-pros are generally extremely welcoming, offering advice to players at all levels on how to improve their performance, being kind in their appraisals but never patronising. Of course, as in all sports, there's always some egotists, but they're very much the exception, with most knowing the effort it took for themselves to rise to the top.

Comment

That's good to know, DR. I typed my post rather slowly while attending to dinner so missed the crossover with yours above it. I wasn't meaning to imply that the current situation is less desirable than an imagined golden age of amateur quizzing, just that quiz culture is much more prominently featured in the big shows these days. This may partly be due to the increased emphasis on telling the contestants' personal stories, as is the case across all genres of television.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                      As I morph into the old man who shouts at clouds, I find The Chase to be satisfying shouty telly. First, the answers to questions that tell you the answers ("Which 19th century Danish author wrote fairy tales ...?"), and then the bonus shouting, when the contestants refuse thousands of pounds because "I would never take the minus" as if pride was worth more than a new house.

It's staggeringly popular in New Zealand, though that probably tells you more about the standard of local output than anything.
                      I watch The Chase purely for the final chase. 2 minutes of questions with no interruptions, that is the ultimate quizzing. I always keep my score as well (I was awful and only got 11 last night). Then 2 more minutes with minimal interruptions straight after.

It's the only time I demand absolute silence in my living room, from 5:45 to 5:55.

I've applied to go on The Chase because I want to have a go at said final chase, but have had no luck to date.

Regarding the Chasers, I find it always depends on how they cope after their first missed answer. Jenny Ryan (The Vixen) for example really struggles on high teen-early 20s if she gets one wrong in the first few questions. However, she's absolutely ruthless on anything 16 and lower.
                      Last edited by Simon G; 18-05-2021, 06:46.

Comment

With The Chase being on every evening, I tend only to tune into the last fifteen minutes or so. The format is very good, though.

Yes, Pointless is a bit too waffly for me, too. (I enjoy Osman's House of Games on occasion, however - although that's a knockabout panel game rather than a quiz show.)

Comment

I could watch Pointless all day. I never get bored of it and I always learn something new. I’d be happy to see it bossing BBC teatime a decade from now

Comment

Only Connect would be the one G-Man overlooks.

Of the three people I know who have been on these shows, only one is a professional quizzer (one of considerable reputation, actually - he has his own wikipedia page and everything). And in his case he was on the shows in question 20-odd years ago.
                            Otherwise my uncle was on Eggheads, and a mate was on Only Connect.

Comment

Love Only Connect - not so much the presenter. University Challenge is our only all family event now (similar presenter issues). Getting a few right whilst watching either is always a good feeling.

Comment

I once got 3 questions right on a University Challenge episode once - it was the best day.

Comment

I’m pretty sure London mayoral candidate Sian Berry has won 15-1. It’s never mentioned anywhere, but I was at university with her when she was on. And I’m fairly confident she won.

Comment

Maybe she won a daily round, but she definitely doesn't seem to have won a series.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                      Maybe she won a daily round, but she definitely doesn't seem to have won a series.
                                      I love Montague being disqualified for appearing in disguise. I hope a monocle and false moustache were involved

Comment

Oh, I have no idea what a series is. I thought you just won a daily round then sailed off into the sunset.

Comment

Basically, in both versions of 15 to 1, you play out the daily game, and in the final round, your score per question is converted into points - so the 15 winners with the highest scores returned for the Grand Final, where the series winner was crowned.

Comment

Pointless: too much filler-chat. The Chase: ITV adverts and filler chat. Only Connect: the increasingly irritating/unfunny Victoria Coren Mitchell, plus the final round points tally making the preceding ones virtually redundant to the outcome. Take all the fluff out, half the show time, and they would all be much improved.

Give me Ask The Family, or even the likes of Blankety Blank and Family Fortunes, any day.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                              Pointless: too much filler-chat. The Chase: ITV adverts and filler chat. Only Connect: the increasingly irritating/unfunny Victoria Coren Mitchell, plus the final round points tally making the preceding ones virtually redundant to the outcome. Take all the fluff out, half the show time, and they would all be much improved.

Give me Ask The Family, or even the likes of Blankety Blank and Family Fortunes, any day.
                                              Round Britain Quiz sounds like it'd suit you down to the ground, albeit on the radio.

Comment

The acme of the golden age of TV game shows was "The Golden Shot", albeit not a quiz show

Comment

Round Britain Quiz on Radio 4 is my favourite, it’s basically cryptic crosswords clues crossed with Only Connect, sometimes fiendishly difficult and at others, seemingly, blindingly obvious.

Brain of Britain is also good but much more you common-or-garden general knowledge quiz, albeit on the reasonably tough end of the scale compared to most others.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X