Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convincing British accents by British actors

And, off we go

(Not included in this list, comedy accents, or obvious fakes adopted by characters claiming to be something they're not)

Michael Sheen
    Robert Carlyle

Jane Leeves

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      Jane Leeves
      I refer you to comedy accents

Daphne's brothers, on the other hand…

And why would American posters comment on British actors doing British accents
      Maureen Lipman's Mancunian is fairly accurate, IIRC?

Comment

Apologies, I misread the thread title

Comment

Paddy Considine

Comment

If I understand the question, and I'm not sure if I do, then Toby Jones's effort in Detectorists was pretty good.

Comment

It's British actors doing British accents, regional or otherwise, that are not their own natural speaking voice and being convincing as from the stated location(s)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                It's British actors doing British accents, regional or otherwise, that are not their own natural speaking voice and being convincing as from the stated location(s)

In that case I was right and I'm sticking with Tobes.

Comment

Martin Compston

Comment

Compston impresses the hell out of me, continually.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

I refer you to comedy accents
                      She put on an accent in a comedy but it wasn't a comedy accent. And she grew up in Sussex.

Comment

There was one actor who did a passable Welsh accent, although he wasn't Welsh. He was in a film I saw. Does anyone know who I mean?

Apart from him, nobody non-Welsh can do anything approximating a Welsh accent. (Except me, but it's literally in my blood. And even then, I can only do Newport, which is Bristolian, only with less of everything.) It always sounds like something off Mind Your Language, even though that didn't feature Welsh people.
                        Last edited by treibeis; 05-05-2021, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

She put on an accent in a comedy but it wasn't a comedy accent. And she grew up in Sussex.
                          We'll agree to disagree.

It was an accent enacted for a comedy, and matched the comedy expectations of those producers and audience

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                            There was one actor who did a passable Welsh accent, although he wasn't Welsh. He was in a film I saw. Does anyone know who I mean?
                            Yes I do.

Comment

David Tennant.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                Apart from him, nobody non-Welsh can do anything approximating a Welsh accent.
                                I do a better Welsh accent than my friend who spent the first 18 years of their life in Cwmbran. It's a low bar though, when they attempt to impersonate their very Welsh Dad, they sound more like they're attempting a bad Indian accent.

Comment

Timothy Spall's West Midlands accent in Auf Wiedersehen Pet was fairly convincing, people were often surprised to hear him speak with his natural London accent.

Although I can't vouch for its accuracy as Wolverhampton, which it was meant to be, rather than Birmingham.

Comment

The people on The Crown do well.

Erin Doherty’s (Princess Anne) sounds more like Eliza Dolittle in real life.
                                    https://youtu.be/tn7NUsHFn1g

Comment

I'd have to watch it again to be certain, but I seem to remember Dominic West's Gloucester accent when he played Fred West (no relation) in Appropriate Adult being rather good. Although having just checked Fred West's Wiki page, he was from Herefordshire. I don't know how similar the accents are.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                        Timothy Spall's West Midlands accent in Auf Wiedersehen Pet was fairly convincing, people were often surprised to hear him speak with his natural London accent.
                                        I saw an interview once with the bloke who played Moxey and was surprised how posh his real accent was.

Comment

Brenda Blethyn's in Vera is poor

Comment

David Jason played a Liverpool docker in a once off BBC play in the 90s, and couldn't do a scouse accent to save his life. Everyone slags off actors for fucking up accents but it's not easy. As said earlier, most peoples Welsh accent sounds more like Apu.

Comment

Paul Anderson's Birmingham accent in 'Peaky Fookin' Blinders' seems a pretty decent effort. Or is it too OTT? Perhaps someone from that neck of the woods would enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

I saw an interview once with the bloke who played Moxey and was surprised how posh his real accent was.
                                                Pat Roach's generic West Country accent was just about all right. However, I believe Bomber was supposed to be from Bristol, in which case it had far too much of a burr. They should have got Gareth Chilcott or Dave Prowse in instead.

Comment

Samantha Morton is great at a range of accents. Irish, Northern (she's from Nottingham), Scottish, Cockney, posh, US regional. About to play a Medici so I'm not sure what accent she's using for that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X