Olympia Dukarked-it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympia Dukarked-it

Won an Oscar for Moonstruck (which was subsequently stolen). Died, aged 89.

Moonstruck is one of those multi-Oscar winners (also won for best actress (Cher) and screenplay) that hardly anyone has ever seen. I certainly haven't, and had to look it up to see what sort of movie it even was (romantic comedy centred around an Italian-American family). I only remember it for Cher's risque Oscar outfit.

Comment

Olympia Due Casket

Comment

It was definitely bigger in places like New York, Philadelphia and other areas with major Italian American populations (as well as LA for hometown business reasons), but did do more than USD 80 million in box (more than five times the budget)

Comment

Indeed, it was absolutely huge in the late 80s, especially with Dukakis's cousin running for President against Bush I.

By far my favorite romantic comedy. Maybe Nick Cage's best ever role, along with Cher. And Olympia Dukakis. And Vincent Gardenia. And Danny Aiello.

(And that was coming from my 1987 15-year-old self who saw it in the same year Robocop, Lethal Weapon, Predator, Running Man, and the Untouchables came out.)

Comment

I saw her most recently in 'Tales of the City' which struck me as a tv series that thematically must have been quite ahead of its time when it was first shown in 1993.

Comment

Maupin's columns and the books they spawned were an absolute cultural touchstone of late 70s and 80s San Francisco, but the series wouldn't have been made in the US in 1993. It was made by Channel 4 and picked up here by public television (where it still garnered complaints).

Comment

Working...
              X