Ooh... that's dated badly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh... that's dated badly

Mrs Thistle and I are revisiting Castle, a cop show made about a decade ago. Recently there was an episode where a person of interest apparently had several Donald Trump books in his apartment and the detectives speculated that he was a fan of reality TV.

Wow, the world had changed in 10 or so years.

Any other examples of cultural references like that?

The Simpsons foretold a Trump Presidency in 2000 as a joke.

Comment

Trump has had more cameos in films and TV than I've had hot dinners.

My wife's got me watching Line of Duty, and in the first series Hastings (a Northern Irish Catholic) is questioned by the new copper on the anticorruption force as to why he's going after a black guy. Hastings gets the insinuation, gets angry, and then proceeds to tell a story about how he and a fellow Catholic graduate from the RUC police academy got thrown onto a job where no one told them there was a live pipe bomb, which proceeds to kill his fellow cop. This ends with "So nobody's blacker than me!"

I don't think that phrasing would have been reused in 2020.

Comment

Midsomer Murders had no characters of colour, even bit-part, until about halfway of its long run, and then clumsily inserted random tokens into their storylines, in the "I don't see colour" kind of way.

What never gets dated in that show, of course, is Tories getting arrested for murdering multiple other Tories.

Comment

Well, it's 'dated' in the sense that you wish it happened now.

'Most British comedies from the seventies' is my stunningly-astute contribution to this thread.

Comment

There's a documentary called Computer Animation Magic that was released on LaserDisc in about 1986 - it can be found on the Internet Archive if you're curious.

There's a bit near the beginning about the Quantel Paintbox and one of the ways they demonstrate it is by erasing the twin towers of the World Trade Center from the New York skyline... yeah, about that...

Comment

Not just British comedies of the 70s - Little Britain and Bo Selecta! were made in the 2000s, blackface and all.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                Not just British comedies of the 70s - Little Britain and Bo Selecta! were made in the 2000s, blackface and all.
                And Fantasy Football with David Baddiel

Comment

Bo Selecta! really was an absolute pile of old horse's doings.

(Never understood the adulation for Little Britain, either.)

Comment

Little Britain was absolute drivel.

Anyway, as a specific example of 70's comedy that has definitely dated badly, I'll go with Q / There's a Lot of It About. Some of the more absurd stuff is still funny in its way, but Christ on a bike there's a lot in there which is just plain nasty.
                    Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 28-04-2021, 10:06.

Comment

Was watching Black Books and Graham Linehan's name popped up in it. It's kind of like watching the "Biggus Dickus" sketch in Life of Brian and one of the guards being Chris Langham. (There was a great series with him and Paul Whitehouse about a psychiatrist that for obvious reasons will never get shown again. And Langham has one of my all time favourite lines in a Alas Smith and Jones sketch.)

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        Was watching Black Books and Graham Linehan's name popped up in it. It's kind of like watching the "Biggus Dickus" sketch in Life of Brian and one of the guards being Chris Langham. (There was a great series with him and Paul Whitehouse about a psychiatrist that for obvious reasons will never get shown again. And Langham has one of my all time favourite lines in a Alas Smith and Jones sketch.)
                        For similar reasons I'm glad I've got "People Like Us" somewhere on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                          Wasn't he meant to be one of the original "Not The Nine O'Clock News" team? Chris Langham?

Comment

He was.

Comment

The best thing Lucas and Walliams did together was "Come Fly With Me". Which will also never get shown again on telly. In fact I bought the set on DVD after Walliams said he'd asked the production company to destroy all copies of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

Wasn't he meant to be one of the original "Not The Nine O'Clock News" team? Chris Langham?
                                Yes, Griff replaced him from Series 2.

Comment

Cheers. I like an affirmation of a non-Googled memory. x

Comment

Langham is also Tight-Mouthed Larry the bookie in the "Sad Ken" episode of Bottom. Not living up to his name by blurting out the name of said wonder horse to all and sundry in The Lamb & Flag, only for it to be a dastardly scheme between him and Dick Head to screw most of Hammersmith out of their life savings and ill-gotten gains from pawning stolen wooden legs.

And I must say I thought it was very sporting of them to enter a three-legged blind horse there that afternoon. Shame about the jockey but what can you do?

Comment

Langham's series of The Thick of It was back on iplayer during lockdown

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                        I was forced to watch Blackadder a few weeks ago. I left the room after five minutes.

Comment

I watched Dempsey & Makepeace during lockdown when they showed it on ITV4. It looked both dated and cliched and was certainly nowhere hear as good as The Avengers, the repeat that preceded it.

Mind you watching D & M allowed me to develop a game called "Which ITV programme did that villain or incidental character also appear in". I'm such an expert at my own game that I can now spot the bloke that played Jumbo in Only Fools and Horses and the really tall bad guy with a sneer that was in loads of things in the '80s in about 3 seconds without knowing their names.

Robin of Sherwood was also on last summer so I watched that as well, after a fortnight of D & M and Medieval hairspray I started to pine for the Kojak / Quincy dream morning combo that I enjoyed the previous summer.
                                          Last edited by Kowalski; 28-04-2021, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

Langham didn't really fit that format. His sketches were more Python than NTNO'CN. They also seem to have felt he was behaving like an arsehole. Griff was more of a team player. It's notable that the first series gets the fewest sketches into retrospective compilations of the Best Ofs. Arguably it needed that first series to iron out the flaws.

Tons of NONO'CN couldn't get shown now. The racist cop (despite the accuracy), the objectification of Pamela Stephenson's characters, the blacking up as Moira Stewart, the laughing at African and Asian political leaders on essentially (if unintentionally) racist grounds, the homophobia obviously. Lots of this applies to Python too, naturally.

I think it's OK that Langham's series of 'The Thick Of It' is still available given the quality, and it's an ensemble piece not a Langham star vehicle. I wouldn't expect it to appear on broadcast TV, however.
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-04-2021, 20:58.

Comment

So, was he guilty?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                                And Fantasy Football with David Baddiel
                                                1996, if we're talking Jason Lee.

Comment

Dempsey and Makepeace is currently appearing on Forces TV (somewhere around channel 96 on Freeview).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X