Ooh... that's dated badly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
    Robin of Sherwood was also on last summer so I watched that as well, .
    I was only thinking the other day how I'd love to watch Robin of Sherwood again. I absolutely loved it at the time, though it probably looks a bit tatty now.

Comment

It still looks fantastic. The hair may be a bit dated but otherwise it's pretty timeless.

Comment

It was set in the 1190s, of course the hair is dated!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
          So, was he guilty?
          This interview presents a case for the defence:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...gham-interview
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-04-2021, 10:33.

Comment

Pretty sure Robin of Sherwood was on Forces TV recently, too. That and Talking Pictures are pretty much the go to for 40s to 80s stuff.
            Last edited by Snake Plissken; 29-04-2021, 10:54.

Comment

Which is ironic for a series about an outlaw.

Comment

Forces TV is a very peculiar channel. God help us if the Russian bear decides to roar while our brave boys and girls are stuck into a double bill of Sapphire & Steel.

Comment

Tonight Forces TV has episodes of CHiPs, Sykes, Midnight Caller and Simon Callow's '80s sitcom Chance In A Million. Every so often it will show highlights of an Army v Navy rugby game or similar, as if to prove that the channel name isn't just a historical anomaly like MTV.

Comment

It was the only place you could watch the A Team for a while but that's now on Comedy Central.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                      Forces TV is a very peculiar channel. God help us if the Russian bear decides to roar while our brave boys and girls are stuck into a double bill of Sapphire & Steel.
                      hahahahaha.

Comment

One of the most fascinating bits about Chart Music is where al goes through the TV schedule on the day the show was broadcast, and listening to what comedy shows are on, and how unpromising most of the sound, you come to the conclusion that at any given time, most comedy is terrible, and destined to be almost immediately forgotten, and the bits that we remember and see now form a tiny fraction of what was going on at the time, and is heavily curated for quality, and its ability to last. So I suppose the conclusion we kind of have to draw is that nearly all comedy dates horrendously and is forgotten almost immediately, and the rare few that don't make you think that these people lived on a different planet, just wind up looking stranger and stranger with the passage of time. This is even true of stuff set far in the future like the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy. There's a moment in the movie that clanged like someone dropping a bell in room of bells, and it was where Arthur Dent resolves a key moment of crisis by patiently facing down bureaucracy. And while the words "I can do this, We british are good at queueing" make sense in the late seventies radio show, coming out of martin Freeman's mouth, they sounded absurd.

Little Britain was a septic tank full of shit at the time. It's not something that has aged badly, it's people's reactions to it at the time that are kind of puzzling. Downward punching is the thing that kills comedy faster than anything else, and there's a hell of a lot of that in Little Britain.

Comment

When did Britons stop being good at queuing? The brilliant Hungarian comic writer George Mikes had queuing as one of Britain's defining qualities in the 40s and 50s.

Comment

(Frantic Googling) Oh.

Moving swiftly on, I have a digital copy of "Tattva" 'for sale'.

Fuck.

Comment

I instinctively shied away from Little Britain as it just seemed off key even from the trailers I saw. And as for David Walliams' books, fucking hell, they are bilge. They look long but you get an entire page of the word "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" or ""CRASH" padding it out. Roald Dahl is rightly criticised for some of his views, but the idea that Walliams is his spiritual heir is absolute tosh. If you read a Dahl book, you get the feeling that he thought about every word of every sentence before finalising the draft. Walliams just chucks any old shit down and gets lauded for it.

Comment

The David Cameron of comedy

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                  When did Britons stop being good at queuing? The brilliant Hungarian comic writer George Mikes had queuing as one of Britain's defining qualities in the 40s and 50s.
                                  I don't know, but It was less of a part of uk life in 2006 than it was in 1970's England.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratorello View Post

For similar reasons I'm glad I've got "People Like Us" somewhere on DVD.
                                    Lucky you. As Langham hardly "appears" in it, shame that it doesn't get repeated, even on an obscure channel. That Policeman episode is just hilarious.

Comment

Queuing fell apart when British people started travelling* and realising that other people don't do it. Instead of saying "Oh, they do things differently here, that's interesting and part of life's rich tapestry" they got all red in their gammony faces and moaned about it, and said "these bloody foreigners don't do it right and if we let them push in like this we'll take longer, so the only solution is to push in before them"

(*I know British people travelled before that, but previously it was just to occupy other people and impose Britishness on them)

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about queuing in Britain having gone down the pan.

I've never played the "Brit Abroad" card, except when it came to queues. When I stood in a supermarket queue with The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With, and the loudspeaker said "We're now opening Checkout 3" and I got a Chopper Harrisesque six studs in the calf from the person behind me, who then pushed their trolley over the back of my head to transfer from Checkout 2 to Checkout 3, I'd look up and say, "Where I was born, people would rather die than behave like this."

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                          I instinctively shied away from Little Britain as it just seemed off key even from the trailers I saw. And as for David Walliams' books, fucking hell, they are bilge. They look long but you get an entire page of the word "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" or ""CRASH" padding it out. Roald Dahl is rightly criticised for some of his views, but the idea that Walliams is his spiritual heir is absolute tosh. If you read a Dahl book, you get the feeling that he thought about every word of every sentence before finalising the draft. Walliams just chucks any old shit down and gets lauded for it.
                                          On top of all that, I have it on reasonably good authority that he mightn't have penned them all himself.

He tiptoed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                            The David Cameron of comedy
                                            No.

Mr Walliams was always the unfunny one in a duo of one.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                              It still looks fantastic. The hair may be a bit dated but otherwise it's pretty timeless.
                                              Oh, honey! It's 35 years later. The hair won't look the same ever, unless you add some goose.

(The goose was unavailable for comment, the racist honky.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjAYxpXUklc )
                                              Last edited by Gerontophile; 29-04-2021, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I was only thinking the other day how I'd love to watch Robin of Sherwood again. I absolutely loved it at the time, though it probably looks a bit tatty now.
                                                It's on ITV4 at the moment.

Comment

Christ, I did watch it sometimes in the 80s, but I remember hardly anything about it. I mainly remember Michael Praed's hair. And the theme tune, of course.

Just saw a picture of him, as it happens. He still looks very good indeed.

Don't think his stint in Dynasty was a great career move.

Comment

Barry Cryer summarised Walliams thus: "'He's a modern-day Florence Foster Jenkins. Everyone around him has been telling him he is funny. Let's be fair to him – he is a good swimmer."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X