Music used in juxtaposition in banal adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music used in juxtaposition in banal adverts

Rag'n'Bone Man's Human is currently being used by Gillette. Bit odd as the freshly cleanshaven chap is then seen playing with his young daughter while Rag'n'Bone Man sings "I'm only human after all. Don't put the blame on me."

One of George Ezra's tunes is being used to sell Wren kitchens.

With the collapse of income from recording sales, licensing songs for adverts isn't viewed as dimly as it was back in the old days. It can still be startling to hear a song from an act that likely wouldn't have considered such a course of action back in the '80s or whenever.

Comment

Didn't Moby license out every single track on Play to advertisers?

Comment

You can't beat The Who Sell Out.

Just watched this video of yet another repackaging of the album w/ more tracks, booklets, books, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvXU3y-7gF0

Comment

Is the story, with reference to the above-mentioned album, that Armenia City in the Sky was actually meant to be called I'm an Ear Sitting in the Sky really true?

Comment

Musicians selling out to advertisers
            That ship sailed long ago.

Comment

Using the expression 'selling out' in this context generally feels a bit judgmental. I mean, otherwise-big-selling acts like Rag n' Bone Man or Ezra are one thing, but how the hell else are independent musicians supposed to make a living at the moment?

Perhaps they should all retrain, as per that Tory ad campaign.

Comment

It's intended to be judgemental, isn't it?

Comment

Okay then, 'unnecessarily' judgmental.

Comment

Sorry I just used it as a term. It's kind of how people describe it. I'll change it if it causes that much offence. [EDIT - can't change it myself. Have asked Snake]

It's as much a criticism of advertisers. The use of Human juxtaposed with an adland dad letting his adland little daughter rub his face while Rag'n'Bone Man sings "Don't put the blame on me" is just weird.

I think the Wren one is just banal. That's what gets me. Kitchen showrooms aren't what I think of when I hear a George Ezra song.
                    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 26-04-2021, 09:09.

Comment

Massive thanks to Snake Plissken

Comment

My first thought is the current use of Walk on the Wild Side (by a car company?), all edge sanded off.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          Sorry I just used it as a term. It's kind of how people describe it. I'll change it if it causes that much offence. [EDIT - can't change it myself. Have asked Snake]

It's as much a criticism of advertisers. The use of Human juxtaposed with an adland dad letting his adland little daughter rub his face while Rag'n'Bone Man sings "Don't put the blame on me" is just weird.

I think the Wren one is just banal. That's what gets me. Kitchen showrooms aren't what I think of when I hear a George Ezra song.
                          Dinnae worry, it didn't cause any actual offence. (Indeed I'm kind of with you as regards your OP examples.)

Dead Prez could probably do with the readies, so I've zero issue with their stuff appearing on NatWest's ads.

Comment

Wait till the investment funds who have been buying up rights from major artists and songwriters recently start to seek a return on their investment by hawking songs to be attached to any old shite (if it isn't already happening - I don't see many adverts in practice).

Comment

Working...
                            X