Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother of God, have we not got a Line of Duty thread??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Er... is that it?

Comment

James Nesbitt needs a new agent.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
        Er... is that it?
        Flat, wasn’t it?

And if there’s one thing I don’t like it’s subtitled updates at the end for fictional characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Flat, wasn’t it?

And if there’s one thing I don’t like it’s subtitled updates at the end for fictional characters.
          So how would you have let the audience know that John "Bluto" Blutarsky went on to become a US senator?

Comment

Felt like they were trying so hard to keep the unmasking of the 4th man secret until as late as possible and spoiled it a bit as a result. That felt like it could've been two much better episodes rather than one rushed one where they tried to cram all the tying up of loose ends into an hour.

Comment

That was fucking rubbish

Comment

You said it fella

Comment

Nice one, mate.

Comment

I'm gonna defend it. As a generally far-fetched show, the underwhelming realism of the outcome tonight struck a decent note of realism. When systemic corruption is the problem, nabbing a Mr Big isn't going to tie up all the loose ends neatly, the system will remain bent. Which is what tonight's episode dealt with. Though of course it did give us just enough to construct a basis for another series, which will be good for Belfast's battered economy.

Comment

A feature of this series was the complete clunkiness of the scenes between Fleming and Arnott. Compston is particular was off form, unless he was method acting being dosed up on strong painkillers.
                      Some of Ted's speeches could have done with a rewrite, too.

As a six series veteran, I can confirm that the last one is usually the worst, either too many loose ends improbably tied up, or too many gunfights, ambushes and explosions.
                      Why was Buckells still in prison, when Jo Davidson had admitted to fabricating the evidence against him? And why didn't he arrange his own abduction from prison and disappearance, rather than try for hers?

Comment

Man prone to florid Catholic exclamations becomes preoccupied by issues of guilt and contrition shocker.

The tease and reveal for the big interview was the biggest anti-climax since I went to see Prince at the O2 and and that night's secret guest turned out to be Will.I.Am.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                          I'm gonna defend it. As a generally far-fetched show, the underwhelming realism of the outcome tonight struck a decent note of realism. When systemic corruption is the problem, nabbing a Mr Big isn't going to tie up all the loose ends neatly, the system will remain bent. Which is what tonight's episode dealt with. Though of course it did give us just enough to construct a basis for another series, which will be good for Belfast's battered economy.
                          Exactly. Buckles wasn't the last piece on the board, and there are plenty more loose ends to tie up. Also there would be no need for Ted's reveal to Carmichael if there wasn't going to be a follow up.
                          Most obviously you don't employ James Nesbitt just to use a couple of photos of him. Marcus Thurwell is not dead and will be a key character in the next series.
                          Everyone seems to be getting pissy because they didn't get the ending served up to them in a nice little package tied up with a ribbon. It's incomplete for a reason.

Comment

https://twitter.com/dandouglas/statu...541773824?s=19

This made me laugh a lot.

Comment

I think if they wanted to build up to an “oh it’s just THAT guy” they could have let it marinate much more effectively. As it was, it was basically a single scene of telling, rather than showing, the viewer everything: so we found this computer, and this house, and this everything, and actually you’re Mr Big

Comment

What a crock of shite. Lakewell the solicitor was killed on his orders, yet he looked terrified when Lakewell was killed in front of him in prison. Mercurio can do dramatic scenes and build tension, but he's a god awful plotter.

Comment

I didn't mind it. The reveal of Buckles is supposed to be a letdown, he's just a stooge for Osbourne, who really is the one they need to nail. Hastings' confession at the end to Carmichael lets him leave knowing Carmichael is another Osbourne stooge in office to dampen any hint of corruption by not acting on anything, even when the ex-head of AC12 admits corruption.

THe most important part of the episode was to clear any suspicion of Hastings' guilt, that's where the real suspense was, not with the Buckles reveal. I still thought he could be H up to the confrontation with Arnott and Flemming, and even then, you didn't fully believe his integrity until he confessed to Carmichael.

I Think there will be another series, it will continue until they get Osbourne. But Mercurio has played a safe card, the series could end here, it's all tied up, we know exactly who is good and who is bad, but vitally, we know Hastings' is good.

Comment

More underwhelming realism: thick, incompetent Brummie calls his Cayman Island shell company "Holte End Holdings"

And he got to wear a claret prison sweatshirt at the end

Comment

This is a decent review putting the pro case

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/line-of...asked-at-last/

Comment

The Banality of Evil, innit?

Not just a phrase, if you read Hannah Arendt’s work on Eichmann there’s a strong parallel, whether or not that’s what the writer meant.
                                        Last edited by MsD; 03-05-2021, 11:18.

Comment

I thought it was okay. If you've watched since series 1 you've learned to put up with all the plot holes. You suspect its people who fell for the hype and tuned in late that felt let down.

As far from The Wire as you could hope to be. It has most definately had its moments though.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                            I thought it was okay. If you've watched since series 1 you've learned to put up with all the plot holes. You suspect its people who fell for the hype and tuned in late that felt let down.

As far from The Wire as you could hope to be. It has most definately had its moments though.
                                            ISWYDT

Comment

I get that the ending was more 'what would have happened'. I get that it was never going to be about AC-12 bringing down the very top bloke, because that's just not how it works. Institutional corruption means just that, when everyone up the chain is to an extent 'bent' and everyone knows it, from Arnott lying about his drug use and shagging witnesses to Kate using Jo to cover up her involvement in killing Ryan, and Ted stealing OCG bribes to salve his conscience. I even get that - despite the implication that this was the "finale" - it leaves the door open for one last hurrah. My strong hunch would be a 2-part Sequel over Xmas. I even now think the introduction of ... and the wee donkey" is an Easter Egg trailling that.

But none of that matters. What does is that IT WASN'T THE ENDING I WANTED GODDAMIT!
                                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-05-2021, 11:59.

Comment

Yeah, a two part special would tie up Hastings appeal and Osbourne's downfall. It would be a bit predictable, but that's what you want at Christmas.

Comment

A Christmas special? It's Line of Duty not Call the Fucking Midwife.

Comment

I've been a fan of downbeat endings ever since I watched Smiley's People and the disappointment was clearly written on Smiley's face. After his spying lifetime (and our 3 years) of tensions and questions Karla brought the story to its conclusion by slowly walking across a bridge. .
                                                    Last edited by Kowalski; 03-05-2021, 13:25.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X