Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother of God, have we not got a Line of Duty thread??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother of God, have we not got a Line of Duty thread??

Episode 6 out of 7 of series 6 tonight and we still don't know who's going to be revealed as 'H'.

This is get all jobs done, popcorn, drinks and AC12 phrase bingo cards ready, edge of the seat viewing in our house.

Look out for my school (the slightly Gothic building that's a bit like Hogwarts in the Potter movies)

Comment

It’s full of plot holes, loads of inconsistencies and barely credible characters.

But it’s always riveting. It’s like the trashy novel you can’t put down.

Comment

Apparently tonight's episode might feature a 28 minute interrogation scene. Mother of God.

Comment

Until this week I didn't know or had long forgotten that Jed Mercurio wrote The Grimleys. My outside hope is that H turns out to be Noddy Holder.

Comment

Hopefully Sir Nodwald will entertain us with that tale involving a bathtub, a sheet of plate glass, some Hamburg sailors and Gary Glitter

Comment

Been with it from the beginning. As Tony says the plot is Swiss cheese, but it's utterly engaging. It's way ahead of any other British crime dramas that have been made recently.

Comment

The "Mother of God" thing is inconvenient for anyone who keeps the phrase in their not-quite-swearing exclamation repertoire.

Using it now is getting to be like going around in 1975 saying "Sit on it" or "Heeeyyyyyy!"

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  The "Mother of God" thing is inconvenient for anyone who keeps the phrase in their not-quite-swearing exclamation repertoire.

Using it now is getting to be like going around in 1975 saying "Sit on it" or "Heeeyyyyyy!"
                  "Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the Holy Donkey" made a nice change tonight.

Comment

Nano nano!

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      Nano nano!
                      It would be a series highlight if Hastings came out with that in the middle of a tense and lengthy interrogation scene.

Last night's episode very much brought Tony and Sean's comments to mind. The hour flew by but to what effect I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lymeswold Snork View Post

I'm pretty sure it was "and the wee donkey" although the idea of "the Holy Donkey" has just made me spit coke all over my keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I'm pretty sure it was "and the wee donkey" although the idea of "the Holy Donkey" has just made me spit coke all over my keyboard.
                          Oh, might have been. Still, nice to hear it get a mention. Meanwhile, you could send the bill for a new keyboard to Mr Dunbar's elocution teacher. Or my audiologist.

Comment

That 28 minute interrogation mentioned above didn’t have me looking at my watch once. Everything was relevant and watchable. That’s pretty tight scripting.

Comment

Some of my friends think kelly Mac has been off the pace in this (I like her in anything) but she was great in the interrogation

Comment

H, Mother of God, AC12?

Am I missing out on not having a television?

Is this like Long Island society back in the 1920s if you didn't play Mah Jongg?

Comment

Originally posted by Lymeswold Snork View Post

It was "...wee donkey..." which makes it even funnier. Kelly McDonald who plays Jo Davidson was on BBC Breakfast on Monday. That interrogation scene took two days to film. 50 camera angles. First day everyone was really intense - I mean, *********SPOILER ALERT********* what a way to find out your mum was raped by her brother*, and so he's yer dad**********. Second day when Adrian Dunbar said the wee donkey line, everyone burst out laughing.

Yeah, been with it from the start, and ahead of the start of this series I went back and watched all the previous series - fat lot of good that did me, I didn't even recognise Pilkington (child version). Great stuff, and will miss it when it's gone.

Comment

I will miss it to0, but for FFS someone surely can connect the same two prison officers being on duty every time a female witness gets attacked or knocked off.

Comment

After a quick Google, how have I never seen this?

Comment

A TV programme it's taken 6 series for people to start talking about can't be that good, can it?

*Runs forward, sword flailing*

Comment

I've seen all the series of this except the current one (and apparently there is no guarantee this series will come to Netflix like the others, which is a bit off), and while I've enjoyed it, and found it diverting and fun watching, I haven't really had this feeling that seems prevalent that it's amazing and brilliant TV (in the manner of the Wire, or the Sopranos, for example). I don't much care who H turns out to be, for example (or indeed if we ever discover who it is). What am I missing?

Comment

A brief recap for Guy and ad hoc

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              I've seen all the series of this except the current one (and apparently there is no guarantee this series will come to Netflix like the others, which is a bit off), and while I've enjoyed it, and found it diverting and fun watching, I haven't really had this feeling that seems prevalent that it's amazing and brilliant TV (in the manner of the Wire, or the Sopranos, for example). I don't much care who H turns out to be, for example (or indeed if we ever discover who it is). What am I missing?
                                              I'm not sure that you are missing anything. It is entertaining hokum. Mercurio cleverly uses procedural detail to create an impression of authenticity but the show doesn't have any particularly penetrating or novel insights into the nature of corruption. The shout outs about liars in high places in this series are comically unsubtle.

As with Fleabag, since the BBC realised that they had a hit on their hands they have gone all out to create the sense of it being event television.
                                              Last edited by Benjm; 30-04-2021, 08:55.

Comment

I don't think Line of Duty is in anything like the same league as the Wire - it's far-fetched and barely plausible a lot of the time, and it's basically created a world in which the OCG is about twice as powerful as the Sicilian mafia and peak-era Stasi combined. But it's incredibly compelling, well made and acted telly, given extra spice by Ted's magnifcent turns of phrase. And by its Belfast scenery.

Proper event telly, and I'm all for that.

That said, I'm not a fan of a lot of yer man's other TV dramas. The Bodyguard, for example, was an overblown pile of toss in the end.

Comment

Agreed on all counts, E10. I love the fact its set in Belfast, a city I've never visited, because usually I can spot local landmarks in shows, but not LoD.

Sunday nights have been a real highlight over the last couple of months, shall miss the anticipation next week.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X