Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great sequels unrelated to the original movie

'Unrelated' being a flexible term.

It wasn't that long ago that I discovered Airplane 2 was not made by David and Jerry Zucker. But whoever made it, they followed the template extremely well. In fact, some of my favourite scenes are in the sequel.

The other one is Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. No Michael Myers in the Shatner mask. Love that film though.

Oh thank god. I thought you were going to bare your heart about loving Highlander II.

Comment

As we discussed, Silence of the Lambs is pretty good and it’s a sequel to Manhunter.

Comment

Yay, I'm not alone in liking Airplane 2.

Gremlins II, despite having the same director, a fair chunk of the same cast and of course said creatures, is absolutely nothing like the original. And it's fucking fantastic. I love how it's a sequel that knows it's a sequel and only exists to make money but subverts that in a very clever way.

Comment

Planes. It's set in the same world as Cars I think. Similar premise except it's sentient planes in a race. I quite liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            Oh thank god. I thought you were going to bare your heart about loving Highlander II.
            Highlander 2 is a pretty amazing terrible movie.

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
            Gremlins II, despite having the same director, a fair chunk of the same cast and of course said creatures, is absolutely nothing like the original. And it's fucking fantastic. I love how it's a sequel that knows it's a sequel and only exists to make money but subverts that in a very clever way.
            I assume you've seen the Key & Peele sketch.

My nomination will be Infernal Affairs 2, which is technically a prequel. Neither of the two original leads are in it, and it has a completely different tone, more Godfather-esque epic than taut thriller.

Comment

Grease 2 has a certain cult following, but I haven't signed up to it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Planes. It's set in the same world as Cars I think. Similar premise except it's sentient planes in a race. I quite liked it.
                Does that count as a sequel? It's a spin-off I'd have thought, especially as there also exist Cars 2 and Cars 3, both featuring Owen Wilson's Lightning McQueen.

Ka-CHOW!

Comment

We need some clarity on when a sequel becomes a spin off but yeah I take your point.

Comment

Mention of Gremlins 2 (which is utterly ace) reminds me of another underrated sequel in Predator 2.I was going to say that the only holdover was the title character, but even that is a different Predator.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                      I assume you've seen the Key & Peele sketch.
                      Nope, can't say I have.

Stumpy Pepys I want to know who these people are, so I can avoid them in future. Grease 2 should have been called Greasefire, it's a disaster.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                          Mention of Gremlins 2 (which is utterly ace) reminds me of another underrated sequel in Predator 2.I was going to say that the only holdover was the title character, but even that is a different Predator.
                          I think Dutch and the original get a brief mention when Gary Busey's character is giving his exposition about how he's going to try and catch it, but yeah, other than that an excellent and unrelated movie.

Unlike almost everything else they ever let anyone do with the Predator concept.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys I want to know who these people are, so I can avoid them in future. Grease 2 should have been called Greasefire, it's a disaster.
                            In Defence of … Grease 2

Haven't seen it for a long time. I agree that Pfeiffer acquits herself fairly well, but as for the rest of the film …

Comment

When HDTGM did Grease 2, it emerged that it was one of June's favourite movies.

Comment

When I was a child, we had a selection of video taped musicals that I used to watch after school while my parents were still at work (probably from about age 9? Wouldn't be allowed now).

Amongst these, we had Grease and Grease II. I loved them both. Grease obviously has more memorable songs (the only song I remember from Grease II is the rather dodgy "Reproduction" number), but I liked the gender role reversals in Grease II, it was the girl who was cool and the dorky guy chasing after her. It was a bit of a counterbalance to the terrible message for girls in Grease (which is basically "dress more tartily and take up smoking if you want a boyfriend").

Comment

If you actually pay much attention to the lyrics and the story, Grease has not aged well at all, but it probably is a fairly accurate representation of a mostly working-class white high school in the 1950s.

Of course, a lot of the cast is too old, but that is typical of musicals - or used to be. It takes a while to get enough training and experience to be good at musical theater and not many high school-aged actors have the skills.

As I've mentioned before, Shakespeare often has the same problem. Romeo, Juliet, Hamlet, Ophelia and a few others really ought to be no older than about 20, but they're usually played by people around 30 or older.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                    Grease obviously has more memorable songs (the only song I remember from Grease II is the rather dodgy "Reproduction" number), but I liked the gender role reversals in Grease II, it was the girl who was cool and the dorky guy chasing after her. It was a bit of a counterbalance to the terrible message for girls in Grease (which is basically "dress more tartily and take up smoking if you want a boyfriend").
                                    But doesn't the dorky guy have to pretend to act tough to get the attention of Pfeiffer's character? That's not exactly a great message either - "guys, girls will only like you if you up the toxic masculinity".

It's not like it really matters anyway - musicals live and die by their songs after all and you've already said it about Grease II.

Comment

But doesn't the dorky guy have to pretend to act tough to get the attention of Pfeiffer's character? That's not exactly a great message either - "guys, girls will only like you if you up the toxic masculinity".

It's not like it really matters anyway - musicals live and die by their songs after all and you've already said it about Grease II.
                                      Absolutely. Terrible example for young men, but I was a young girl so didn't care.

Comment

Grease 2 and Airplane II were both written by Ken Finkleman who also directed the latter. Both movies got far bigger budgets than the originals, but they both made a profit, so fair play.

Airplane II has this classic gag:

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                          Grease 2 and Airplane II were both written by Ken Finkleman who also directed the latter. Both movies got far bigger budgets than the originals, but they both made a profit, so fair play.

Airplane II has this classic gag:
                                          Beat me to it, nearly pissed myself laughing at that one when I first saw it.

Comment

One of Shatner's best performances.

"Sir these lights keep blinking out of sequence, what should we do?"

"Get them to blink IN sequence."

Comment

Working...
                                            X