The Personal History of David Copperfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Personal History of David Copperfield

I don't recall a thread on Armando Iannucci's last flick which, if true, is a pity as I thought it excellent. It's funny but, in important ways, very respectful to the original, without being at all stuffy or precious.

The structure, that David Copperfield is writing his own story, based on the Dickens classic we grew up with, is excellent and quite original, to me anyway. Especially as a fair amount of the book is based on Dickens own life. So we get cinematic fiction, based on literary fiction, based on autobiography, all falling over each other. The result is quite wonderful, as much Lewis Carroll as Charles Dickens.

Iannucci's repertory company are on full show, Hugh Laurie plays Mr Dick, Tilda Swinton, Betsy Trotwood, and Peter Capaldi Mr Micawber, all clearly having a great time supporting Dev Patel as Copperfield. Lots of other performances to like, Ben Whishaw is an excellent Uriah Heep, especially well written is, love interest, Dora Spenlow played by Morfydd Clark. Dickens is well known for his vapid but pretty, heroines and Dora is right up there. Even as a ten-year-old I couldn't understand why David would be remotely interested in such an airhead. Fortunately Clark and screenwriter Simon Blackwell really run with it, she's cringingly hilarious. Anyway all really enjoyable, and I can't understand why it vanished with barely a ripple.

is brilliant.

*edit It didn't. Have a look at all the nominations it got, for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
      I can't understand why it vanished with barely a ripple.
      Covid will be a large reason for that. I saw it in February on it's UK cinema release just before lockdown hit and that would have been close enough to harm it. It's North American release was August 2020 which would have made it even more difficult to make an impact theatrically.

It didn't really "vanish with barely a ripple" though. It was a massive critical hit and, as Ger says, garnered a decent amount of awards nominations despite the timing of the release working against maximising those too. It just didn't do well financially theatrically and the reasons in my opening paragraph are a large part of that.

I've watched it again at home with the family and while I've enjoyed it perfectly well enough both times I can't say it left a massive impression on me. It's certainly nowhere near as fantastic a piece of film-making as Ianucci's 'The Death of Stalin'.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-04-2021, 16:31.

Comment

I must admit I rarely, if ever, check award nominations, so wasn't aware of the films haul.

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        It's certainly nowhere near as fantastic a piece of film-making as Ianucci's 'The Death of Stalin'.
        See I think it is, but it steps away from Iannucci's established politically savvy audience to try something else. I suspect the film lost them, and also the Masterpiece Theatre crowd who were likely upset that it wasn't a by-the-numbers treatment of the book.
        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 15-04-2021, 19:47.

Comment

I tried with it - on the combined recommendation of my mum (who's generally a great arbiter of taste), and Kermode - when I was on a plane. But I just didn't get on with it at all and abandoned ship after 10 or 15 minutes. My barrier with period drama and particularly 19th Century English literature and film versions of the same just got in the way. It felt like just another mannered piece of costumey-heritage. I'm sure that's completely unfair on the film, but if, like me, you just get no pleasure from the Sense and Prejudices, or Emma Eyres, or Mansfield Heights or whatever, the fact that it was directed by Ianucci and has a ridiculously fantastic and diverse cast may not be enough.

Comment

We enjoyed it.

Comment

It did make me want to watch the Winterbottom/ Coogan/ Brydon 'A Cock & Bull Story' (that led to 'The Trip') again, which I haven't done yet.

Comment

Working...
              X