Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you been a member of a studio audience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blockbusters - classic Holness era, went with our 6th form. Not much to report - sighted Bob walking along an adjoining corridor but didn't have a chance to stop him
    The White Room - C4's answer to Later With Jools Holland; the episode featuring Republica, Sparks, Pulp and Portishead, and supposedly Prince, but it turned out he'd already recorded his bit.

Oh, and Who Dares Wins. I could tell my Peter Cook anecdote (again) but I really need to get to bed

Comment

Chatterbox - a school quiz type show on Anglia. Three of us were in the school team and then sat at the back of the audience with our supporters (who moved from the front rows) for the recording of the other episode they were doing that day.

Comment

Top of the Pops, although annoyingly got no screen time, and I was present when Jeremy Beadle played one of his jolly pranks on someone for Game For A Laugh.

Comment

YES. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? in Las Vegas. And they asked if anyone wanted to take the quiz for participation. So, I did. And in the break of asking Gary from Boston his $50k question, they read out the names of people who had got through. I'm sat with two mates, all stoned, and they read my name. I was nonchalant. Mainly because I didn't hear it. But my two mates (both in their late 60's) went fucking apeshit.

So, at the end of the taping, (He got $125k, and then ran. Nice kid.) they asked me to wait and fill in some forms. And I realised, I couldn't take part. At that time, I didn't have a Green Card.

Slight bummer.

Comment

Only one I can recall is Omid Djalili's sketch show, whatever that was called. A friend had a spare ticket so I though what the heck.

I'm assuming live recordings of podcasts don't count.

Comment

I was in the audience for Radio 2 music journalism comedy Lloyd Cole Knew My Father. I'd been in email contact with Andrew Collins and he said in one message "Come and see it!" so I did. From Preston to London (in a carriage full of Celtic fans after they'd been at Blackburn in the UEFA the night before), stayed in a hostel near Russell Square and spoke to Collins, Stuart Maconie and David Quantick afterwards. It was enjoyable. Of the six episodes of the series, they recorded two episodes per session with a musical guest. Mine was Ian McNabb. I'd much rather have had Roddy Frame.

Comment

I did do three series of Robot Wars back in the day with two mates from work. We had young kids at the time and they loved it. (My daughter reckoned it was still the best ice-breaker when she was at university.)

Comment

I've seen recordings of:

Sorry I Haven't a Clue with Humphrey Littleton
                  Just a Minute featuring Clement Freud
                  Re-recordings of some recently discovered Tony Hancock scripts

All three recordings were comedy at their highest and most genius.

Comment

Two episodes of TFI Friday in the mid nineties, downstairs rather than in the bar area. The only bands I remember are The Charlatans doing How High, and the Brand New Heavies doing one of their many distinctive singles. If you stood at the back, the cameras couldn't get you.

In 2005, I was front row at the filming of the last Two Ronnies Sketchbook and thus Ronnie Barker's last recording as far as I know. He didn't look like he enjoyed the process at all. Even Corbett was subdued.

I think I was at the same Lloyd Cole Knew My Father recording as you, Giggler.

Comment

Those are some really choice recordings Paul. I've been really impressed with the Hancock recreations.

Comment

A few, nearly all in the noughties when a friend was very good at applying for things.

Television:
                        Have I Got News For You - the episode where Paul Merton told the vile Michael McIntyre to fuck off. Disappointingly this wasn't broadcast.
                        QI - an episode where some obscure American was shoehorned in, meaning four guests instead of three.
                        Al Murray's Happy Hour - utter rubbish. A total waste of the man's talent.
                        The Omid Djalili Show - mildly entertaining. Took an otf friend, but I can't possibly remember who it might've been...

Radio:
                        The News Quiz - wonderful stuff. Mark Steele said "cunt", which I confidently predicted wouldn't get anywhere near the show. I was wrong, but it was (obviously) beeped out.
                        I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Twice. First time with Humph still in the chair just before he died (Stephen Fry was the extra), and seond time at Sheffield City Hall with Susan Calman as the extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          A few, nearly all in the noughties when a friend was very good at applying for things.

Television:
                          Have I Got News For You - the episode where Paul Merton told the vile Michael McIntyre to fuck off. Disappointingly this wasn't broadcast.
                          What was the context. Did Mcintyre insult him?

Comment

He was just being his obnoxiously bumptious self.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                              Top of the Pops, although annoyingly got no screen time, and I was present when Jeremy Beadle played one of his jolly pranks on someone for Game For A Laugh.
                              Do you know which episode of TOTP?

We were in the studio audience when they recorded the episode of That Mitchell & Webb Look with the "Are we the baddies?" sketch in it. They played it over the TV to us, so every time I see it get reposted, usually because of some political twattery or other, i idly wonder about the extent to which our laughter might be audible.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                Two episodes of TFI Friday in the mid nineties, downstairs rather than in the bar area. The only bands I remember are The Charlatans doing How High, and the Brand New Heavies doing one of their many distinctive singles. If you stood at the back, the cameras couldn't get you.

In 2005, I was front row at the filming of the last Two Ronnies Sketchbook and thus Ronnie Barker's last recording as far as I know. He didn't look like he enjoyed the process at all. Even Corbett was subdued.

I think I was at the same Lloyd Cole Knew My Father recording as you, Giggler.
                                I remember seeing the quite ethereal Dickon Edwards there, who I later encountered on LiveJournal, too. You don't see many people looking like him in the White Lion in Bury town centre. Then again, you don't get many people in there using the word 'ethereal' either.

Comment

Don't think I've ever been in a studio audience, but I was once part of a team in a radio quiz...there was a (justifiably) short-running Radio 4 quiz called 'Full Orchestra', in which, to quote the Beeb's blurb, "Tommy Pearson presents the quiz in which musicians from Britain's leading orchestras compete against each other." The round I took part in was notable (in our house at least) for the fact that I was on one team, and my wife was on the opposing team. Fortunately, our team won by one point, although unfortunately it wasn't a straight knock-out, and neither team made it through to the next round. I just checked, and it was broadcast between The World At One and The Archers, so it probably had a reasonable audience. I seem to recall my parents were quite impressed.

Comment

The difference in how the audience is treated is interesting.

The three that I saw on the Southbank; you just queue up until you are let in and then sat down. That's it.
                                    The BBC hosted ones gave you a free drink beforehand, probably to get you in the mood for laughing. Although Ginger Yellow turned up too late for his freebie...
                                    The ISIHACs were both in large theatres with all the hospitality that you'd expect from a theatre; including ordering half-time drinks.

Comment

Working...
                                    X