Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you been a member of a studio audience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you been a member of a studio audience?

Anything notable? Not for me.

1. Songs of Praise, Victoria Hall, Bolton (late-70s)
    2. A game show hosted by Simon Potter, whose name I've forgotten
    3. A Granada show called Stand Up. Like The Comedians, but with 'alternative' comedy. Jim Tavare was one act, and I've forgotten all the others.

1) CTV show Just Like Mom, which my sister and mom were on around 1981.
    2) Some terrible CBC battle of the bands show called Rock Wars around 1982.

Comment

Have I got news for you Never mind the buzzcocks
      The news quiz
      A Hannah Gadsby radio program where she talked about art.

Comment

Yeah, but I can't remember which show it was (Dinah Shaw is a possibility.) It was on my first visit to NYC at Rockefeller Center, so it was an NBC daytime talk show I suppose.

Comment

Question Time and some ITV sports show which was imaginatively called The Sports Show and was such a miserable failure that its existence has virtually been expunged from the Internet. It certainly doesn't feature on host Eamon Holmes's Wiki filmography and that really isn't a high bar to get over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            Question Time and some ITV sports show which was imaginatively called The Sports Show and was such a miserable failure that its existence has virtually been expunged from the Internet. It certainly doesn't feature on host Eamon Holmes's Wiki filmography and that really isn't a high bar to get over.

There's actually a report of the programme I was in the audience for here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...304.html%3famp

(Morrissey tried to chat up a stuntwomen who was sitting near me, but I was the one who went off with her afterwards, heh, heh.)

Comment

This Is Your Life. It was Emlyn Hughes' turn, filmed after Wolves beat Liverpool 1-0 during the 79-80 League Cup winning season. I got Bill Shankly's autograph backstage.
              Big World Cafe. A short lived music show fronted by Mariella Frostrup and Eagle-Eye Cherry. It had been announced that New Order were playing that episode.
              TFI Friday. A mate got tickets. No excuses but East 17 and Gabrielle were good.
              Meet David Sedaris (radio). I went to several recordings of this at the BBC Radio Theatre. It was exactly the same format that he was charging 35 quid a ticket for in theatres so very welcome as a freebie. Unfortunately later recordings were heavily oversubscribed, probably for that reason.

Comment

Any Questions in South Shields. Gulf War era as part of a Stop the War contingent but the Beeb had decided not to mention it, even tho there were 40 of us in an audience of 200.
                We all put questions in and none were called, so my pal Linda who'd put one in about education as a 'concerned teacher'' shoehorned the War in instead. Cunts.

Comment

"ran Fussball" when it was an early-evening Saturday show in the 1990s.

The presenter that day was Joerg Wontorra, who'd had a few run-ins with Otto Rehhagel over the years. As chance would have it, he had to talk to Rehhagel after a Werder Bremen defeat. Before the interview, "Wonti" pleaded with the studio audience to clap really loudly when Rehhagel appeared on screen "otherwise he'll think I told you not to."

The studio was full of HSV fans, so it was never going to happen. A few of them even started a slow handclap. And Wontorra bollocked everybody afterwards.

Comment

I was in the audience for a show Tom Jones recorded for Christmas a couple of years ago. He was great and the ad libs to the audience between takes were fab. The producer said she would like to redo one song and he told her the take they had was good enough. Quite funny to see that.

Comment

Question Time recorded in Warrington about 15 years ago. I remember Theresa May and Mark Steel were on the panel. My question wasn’t seen worthy of being asked. Can’t recall what it was. May got a bit of grief from the audience over some issue that was cut from the televised version.

Comment

My QT experience was rather mundane. I can't even remember all of the panel members, apart from Gerald Kaufman and Sheila McKechnie. There was a very mild spat between Kaufman and an audience member, but that was it in terms of anything that could be described as excitement.

Terrific spread beforehand though, which meant that my The Sports Show experience, where we queued to get in and weren't given as much as a glass of water, was a considerable let-down.

As for the programme itself!

The high point was Spizz (in the audience as a member of the London branch of the Aston Villa supporters club) quite successfully baiting Will Carling. The low point was the abuse that John Bromley received for trying to defend the MCC's men-only members policy, or whatever it was, a controversial stance admittedly but I'm really not convinced that calling him a "fucking cunt" was the best tactic in the circumstances. I remember the production crew looking over in disgust at us, which didn't feel too good.

Eamon Holmes patted me on the shoulder and said thanks for coming as he quickly walked past me and away from the carnage at the end.

Comment

The News Quiz
                          Have I got News For You
                          A heavy metal programme called ECT in the 80s (I think it was this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8HyItrGE-4)
                          In the Top Of The Pops audience for this classic Wham appearance. You can briefly glimpse Ray and I in the bottom right hand corner of the screen wearing candy striped plastic boaters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrYk0TqUWMg) Heady days.

Comment

(Morrissey tried to chat up a stuntwomen who was sitting near me, but I was the one who went off with her afterwards, heh, heh.)
                            Slight disappointment that it was Neil Morrissey, tbh.

I forgot that I went to the recording of a Reith Lecture by Stephen Hawking at the Royal Institution in Mayfair. It had the feeling of an event, with the BBC top brass and onscreen science faces out in force. The subject matter, black holes, was quite knotty. It was interesting seeing the support team that Prof. Hawking travelled with. The Q&A was pre-scripted because programming his speech synthesizer was a letter-by-letter process that didn't really allow for ad libs (some of his guest appearances in things like the Big Bang Theory misrepresented that). His daughters were there and were interviewed briefly. When he was embarrassed by what they were saying he would trigger a quick burst of the last thing that he had been talking about, with something of a Mark E Smith effect.

Comment

My then-partner about 25 years ago got a place as a contestant on some Gaby Roslin-led Saturday night shitshow. I went along, and partners were positioned in the middle of the audience, for various reaction shots. A part of the 'entertainment' was a mimed song by Steps, for which we were all told to stand up/smile/clap our hands. I absolutely wasn't going to do that, and found out from my partner later that, in the Green Room, they were told that the Director had had to alter a number of planned audience tracking shots, so that the people sitting either side of me were shown, but the Great British Public would be spared my appalled visage. I remain very proud of that.

Comment

Child Genius, Pointless Celebrities, and The Last Leg which was an NHS 70th birthday special.

Comment

Being a member of the audience can be dangerous. A work colleague in the late 80s got tickets to Irish chat show The Late Late Show, and was spotted enthusiastically singing and clapping along to Jason Donovan's latest hit. The abuse went on for quite some time.

Comment

Terrific spread beforehand though, which meant that my The Sports Show experience, where we queued to get in and weren't given as much as a glass of water, was a considerable let-down.
                                    Yes, I recall a fairly pleasant green room experience. Dimbleby came in and chatted with lots of people and seemed genuine enough.

Comment

Jay Leno at some studio in Hollywood, which was pretty rubbish but interesting to see the process.

And Ask Me Another, the NPR "game show" at a big theatre in Sand Diego, which was actually pretty funny and very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        Jay Leno at some studio in Hollywood, which was pretty rubbish but interesting to see the process.
                                        Yeah that was interesting. About all I remember is someone holding up placards reading 'Applause,' Laughter,' and so on.

Comment

And the re-recording bits of the monologue that he screwed up which their sound editor mixed back in later. The monologue was as unamusing as you'd expect, but I was surprised it wasn't "as-live" and instead they fixed all the fumbles.

Comment

Talking about re-recording segments, I was a contestant on quiz show 15 to 1. On the first half of the programme they whittle down the contestants to the final 3. The last person to be eliminated got his question wrong and sat down, then the director said they had to give it another go, so he had to stand up, give the wrong answer again, and sit down.

Comment

That's harsh. At least they didn't keep going into double figures. How did you do?

Comment

I got knocked out two before him. We went for a pint afterwards, and I suggested that he should have answered correctly the second time .

Comment

Yes. When I have access to a keyboard, I'll list.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X