No announcement yet.

Finding Jack Charlton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will be the only reason I'll ever have to download the virgin media player, will watch Thursday night maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      This will be the only reason I'll ever have to download the virgin media player, will watch Thursday night maybe.

It's on the BBC iPlayer if you have that.

Comment

Nope, that geoblocked below the dirty 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          Oh, and the wake following the defeat to Italy in 1990 was good, as the mood turned from sombre to quite upbeat, though I notice Jack headed off to bed when Chris de Burgh started singing.
          I'd have done the same.

Comment

It was very good and quite moving. One small criticism was it didn't give much space (other than by implication) to political stands he took on anti-racism and anti-fascism or the huge gestures he made to support striking miners.

Comment

I'm so used to these things never being given the coverage it deserves, I was happy just to see the footage of him walking in solidarity with the miners.
              You're dead right though.

Comment

I've just watched this. Lovely piece of film making, the empty chair at the end, the bit where he watches an old clip of himself presenting at Dunstanburgh Castle and recognises "That's me .... that's me" and not being able to remember the sing song after Italia 90. Also enjoyed the bit at the end where his wife goes "he never got a knighthood, Bobby's got one of course".

A personal quibble is that there was nothing on his six years in charge of Wednesday save for a brief archive shot of a club fixture list in the background (just before we see him with his cock out). I presume this will be covered more comprehensively across multiple evenings on BBC1 at a later date.

Comment

Surprised his speech when Bobby got a Lifetime Achievement award at SPOTY wasn't included.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                    I've just watched this. Lovely piece of film making, the empty chair at the end, the bit where he watches an old clip of himself presenting at Dunstanburgh Castle and recognises "That's me .... that's me" and not being able to remember the sing song after Italia 90. Also enjoyed the bit at the end where his wife goes "he never got a knighthood, Bobby's got one of course".

A personal quibble is that there was nothing on his six years in charge of Wednesday save for a brief archive shot of a club fixture list in the background (just before we see him with his cock out). I presume this will be covered more comprehensively across multiple evenings on BBC1 at a later date.
                    Does his year at NUFC get any reference?

Comment

Difficult watch at points, for me, with my mum having died with dementia a year and a half ago, but totally worth it. It was really well balanced; an important reminder that we shouldn't let the desperate sadness of that decline and inevitable death mask a life well lived beforehand.

Comment

Thanks everyone for telling me to watch this - I'm really glad I did.

Loved Paul McGrath's voice- he should be doing audiobooks. (and yes he needs a documentary of his own)

Loved the Shot of Brexity Shilton after he conceded

Lots of good stuff about Ireland.

Because he was gangly Jack had to be a bit of a comedian- which made him a better manager.

Ultimately it's incredibly poignant the randomness of it all, whether a goal is scored or not and if that means you can be happy or sad.

Poor old David O'Leary

Loved "the only reason I'm good is that I've ahd loads and loads of practice"

Did The Awesome Berbaslug!!! ever have an inflatable shamrock?

Comment

Just finished watching this, a very tough and emotional watch, partly because of the subject matter but partly because it was so well made.

Did he say Paul McGrath when he was rewatching all of those clips?

Comment

Working...
                          X