Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a thread about "The Flight Attendant"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a thread about "The Flight Attendant"?

Is there?

It's... unexpected. Also, it's ... not as bad as it sounds.

I really liked it.

Comment

Is it about being a flight attendant? Shame if it isn't. A mate of mine's a flight attendant. Best stories ever.

Comment

It isn’t really about the in-flight part of her life.

Comment

Why call it the Flight Attendant then? You might as well call Fight Club "The Insurance Bloke", or Trainspotting "Briefly a Letting Agent"

Comment

Her job sorta sets up the main crisis in the plot. More importantly, its central to how the other characters understand her. I don't think it's giving much a way to say that a number of other important characters don't believe she is "just a flight attendant," so that's why the author called it that.

I guess it could have been any fairly mundane non-espionage job that requires a lot of international travel. She could have been a sales rep for mining equipment and it could have been called "The Sales Rep" or the Hotel Management Consultant. But flight attendant works for the same reason a disproportionate percentage of people in TV and film work in advertising or architecture or other professions that aren't too hard to explain to a broad audience. Everyone knows what they do, at least in general, so that doesn't have to be explained in the story.

There's also a whole subplot - which I guess will become the main plot if there's a season 2 - with Rosie Perez' character, and she is also a flight attendant who works with Kaley Cuoco's character. So her job is

There just aren't a lot of scenes on airplanes or in airports. A few. Perhaps there would have been more if they didn't have to film it around COVID-19 restrictions. This show was the first, or maybe one of the first, to go back into production after the pandemic shut everything down. I follow her on Insta because she does so much animal rescue stuff so I followed the saga of finishing that show.
            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 25-03-2021, 19:17.

Comment

If HP had opened this thread with that, it would have needed zero replies.

Except, Kaley Cuoco is REALLY good at this. Like Jennifer Aniston in "The Morning Show". So good, you have to shake your head and go, "seriously?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                If HP had opened this thread with that, it would have needed zero replies.

Except, Kaley Cuoco is REALLY good at this. Like Jennifer Aniston in "The Morning Show". So good, you have to shake your head and go, "seriously?"
                Exactly this. I was never really a fan of "Big Bang Theory" but she seemed a competent comedy actor but this shows she really has acting chops and I wouldn't be surprised if she hoovers up a load of awards.

Comment

It's also an example of how some of the wealthier actresses are using their power as producers to create better roles for women. Kaley Cuoco got very rich off of BBT and got a production deal with WB out of it - as did Jim Parsons and perhaps some of the other stars - so she bought the rights to this book to make into a series for HBO Max. Reese Witherspoon is doing a lot of that too.

Comment

Yeah. Mr Parsons used his money to remake "The Boys In The Band".

And made it exceptionally well. Using 'mostly gay actors', this time, and you know what? Fair fucks to him for doing so.

And yes, HP, KC used her money for something she was going to be very good in. How else would she have been given that option?

**double edit I realise I am arguing against a no argument thing.
                    Last edited by Gerontophile; 14-04-2021, 20:29.

Comment

I don’t know if she could have been cast if she weren’t producing it. The producers probably would have picked somebody whose done more dramatic roles.

Comment

Really bootleg dimestore Killing Eve, dopey backstory, dumb talking dead guy that has no heat or gravitas, but Kaley Cuoco is quite good as is Missy from Doctor Who. Kept me watching the whole time, which in this day and age is no small feat.

Comment

I liked it more than Killing Eve.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            I liked it more than Killing Eve.
                            Me too.

But then again I absolutely hated Killing Eve.

Comment

Working...
                            X