Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember the first movie you saw in a cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, UE, you tease me with the wrong year.

Comment

I think the first film I saw in a movie theatre was the 1970 World Cup "Documentary" with that boy who had run away from home to go to games. I focused on the football, and as I did not know the outcome of the tournament I watched the games with the same level of excitement I would have if the games had been live on TV. That must have been in 1976.

Comment

Ring of Bright Water at the Cameo in Leicester. As it was released in 1969 that would mean I was 5 years old when I went with my mum and the thing that I can remember is sobbing my socks off when Mij got killed by the roadworker and having an usherette shine her torch at me.

Comment

This thread is making me feel old.

Comment

I can't remember the first film I saw - it may have been The Jungle Book or The Aristocats - but this thread has sent me down a lovely internet wormhole, looking at old photographs and shared experiences of the ABC and Odeon cinemas in Chester, and the Plaza in Queensferry.

Comment

Although I know that we must have been taken to the old Ritz cinema in Tonbridge to see many of Disney's mid-60's releases, I have no particular memory of them. The first film that I can recall seeing with absolute clarity is 'Zulu', which my father took my next youngest brother and I to see in 1968. For obvious reasons it's a film that wouldn't get made today, but for a 1960's 8-year-old with no concept of racism or historical context it was impossibly thrilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

(Seriously? The most open goal of all open goals?)

OK, this can go either way. So,

"You mean your mother could see all that after ..."

or

"So, your mother was a 'social worker'?"

or

... scratching his head after paying "THAT much?"

or the one I was originally thinking, which is "he had crabs."

*edit sorry
                Possibly the last. But most likely she made it up. She did that a lot.

Comment

That Darn Cat! in about 1968. My (older) sisters took me into town to see The Jungle Book, but that was full. I remember nothing about the film itself.

Comment

The first cinema experience I clearly remember was the audience wildly clapping and cheering at the opening of Roger Moore's parachute at the beginning of The Spy Who Loved Me.
                    I know I've seen Star Wars and it must have been in a cinema at a similar sort of time in 1977, but I've no recollection of that whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

I saw Hook
                      Yeah, I'd keep that to yourself.

Comment

The earliest one I can specifically remember is Star Wars in its early days at The Garden Theater on Allen Street in State College. It’s now a Citizens Bank branch and apartments. I was with my mom and, I assume, my brother, but I only recall my mom being there. I recall waiting outside to get in. The line wasn’t huge but the lobby was small. I was only 4 and a half.

We saw it again with my dad at a theater called The Movies a few weeks later. That building isn’t there any more. It was replaced by a taller building with apartments, offices and assorted pizza and burrito shops.

But I’m pretty sure neither of those were my first cinema experiences. I think my mom and I saw the Disney Cinderella during one of its re-releases in the early 70s with Matthew Anderson and his mom. I don’t know why I think that, but I vaguely recall it. Matt Anderson lives in Seattle now, I think.

If Star Wars had been my first cinema experience that the novelty of it would be part of the memory, but it isn’t, but that Cinderella memory is so vague that it may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                          Cinema Treasures in case you are struggling to remember your long demolished local fleapit
                          That's a really useful link, much obliged.

If I had to guess, I'd say the first cinema I went to was this one:
                          http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/38564

Same place on a site dedicated to Scottish cinemas past and present:
                          http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/gl...en=indexn.html

I love the fact that in the 1920s as a cinema it had an RS McColl right next door:

And in the 2000s (by this time a concert venue) it had an RS McColl right next door:

Comment

Working...
                          X