Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember the first movie you saw in a cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Disney Robin Hood, came out in 73 so I'd be 4/5.

Comment

I'm fairly sure it was Jaws, which in a recurring theme for this thread, was not especially suitable for a 4/5 year old. I was very scared and went and hid in the toilets.
      After that I remember being taken to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, which may have even been in an ultra tedious double bill.
      I think I got taken to some kids' films too - Lady and the Tramp and/or 101 Dalmatians, although I don't remember enjoying them.

We didn't have a TV when I was young, so the cinema was a bit overwhelming I think.

Comment

I may have seen other films in the cinema beforehand but The Man with the Golden Gun is the first one I have a specific memory of seeing theatrically.

It was released in late 1974 so I would have just turned six.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-03-2021, 13:37.

Comment

The first proper fillum(s). ignoring Saturday morning pictures, that I remember going to without my parents was with my sister and older brother, to see That'll be the day and Stardust as a double bill, at "the cinema" in Crawley. I was 9, so that will have been 1976. It was a AA certificate, so I think that means my sister might just have been old enough, my brother not, and me way off. The woman selling the tickets asked if I was 14, and when I said yes asked if I was sure. Then sold us the tickets.

Comment

The earliest I remember is Disney's The Black Cauldron, which came out in 1985. By the time it was shown in Lincolnshire cinemas it was likely 1986, and I would have been 5. All I recall is how dark it was, and that the main character's furry accomplice seemingly fell to his death at the finale, making me cry in the process. It later transpired that this character was in fact alive, but I was too traumatised to care by then. Oddly last Christmas my mother (who insists she has a terrible memory) brought it up, which left me in tears again. I think I had the official book of the film too, which is strange given how much it upset me at the time.
            Since having Disney +, I keep threatening to re-watch it, but i'm not sure if could take it.

Comment

I don't know if I've ever heard of those (TonTon's), but sheesh what a set of soundtracks. And what a convoluted plot description! wikipedia:

uh... spoilers for a nearly 50-year-old movie....

"Mike and Jim next get jobs at a funfair, supplementing their meager pay by short-changing the customers. Jim quickly becomes a heartless fairground Romeo, having one-nighters with a wide variety of women, including a young schoolgirl whom he rapes. He lies to Mike about the encounter, but Mike sees through it and berates him. Shortly afterwards, Mike short-changes a gang member and is attacked by the whole gang. Jim sees Mike being beaten, but instead of helping Mike, Jim hurries away pretending he saw nothing and has a tryst with another fair worker. The severely injured Mike is hospitalized and cannot return, and Jim gets a promotion that was supposed to go to Mike.

Jim contacts Terry, who is now at university, but discovers that Terry and the girls at his university look down on his lifestyle and musical tastes. Jim decides to return home after two years, finding his resentful mother struggling to run the grocery shop and care for her father, now an invalid. Jim helps his mother with the shop and starts dating Terry's sister Jeanette over the objections of her mother and Terry. Unlike all his previous dates, Jim does not have sex with Jeanette, even though she is willing to do so out of love for him. Jim and Jeanette marry, with Terry and her mother wrongly assuming she must be pregnant. Jim, angry at Terry and ambivalent about losing his freedom, has sex with Terry's girlfriend Jean on the night before his wedding.
              "

and notably, the "Stray Cats" of the 2nd movie have no relation at all to the band of the same name. (as far as I can tell... just a coincidence?)

Comment

My dad took me to see Fantasia, it must have either been a revival house or it was re-released around that time. I was 4 or 5.

Another early experience was Pinocchio. That traumatized me--my dad said he needed to go to the bathroom, but I said I was fine, so he left me in the theater. Then came the part where they were on the seedy island and the boys start turning into donkeys. I started crying and my dad wasn't back from the bathroom yet. A woman sitting behind us tried to calm me down. I just remember that boy who turned into a donkey who says that he wants to go home to his mama--it's horrifying. I haven't watched it since, have no interest in, and I've never shown it to my kids.

Comment

Goal! The World Cup.
                  Saw it in 1966 of all years. It could have been the first time my dad ever went to a cinema, definitely his last.

Comment

Doubt it was the first movie I saw in the cinema, but the first movie I have a memory of seeing was Howard the Duck. It scared the shit out of me.

Comment

Back to the future 3 for me.
                      what's memorable about it was that the original BTTF had aired on TV two days previous, and while that was on my Mum's boyfriend hatched a plan to rent BTTF 2 the next day before rounding it off with a trip to the cinema.
                      Top quality parenting and planning, there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                        Mary Poppins in Plymouth in 1964

Snap. Well, the Granada, Tooting was the venue.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          The first proper fillum(s). ignoring Saturday morning pictures, that I remember going to without my parents was with my sister and older brother, to see That'll be the day and Stardust as a double bill, at "the cinema" in Crawley. I was 9, so that will have been 1976. It was a AA certificate, so I think that means my sister might just have been old enough, my brother not, and me way off. The woman selling the tickets asked if I was 14, and when I said yes asked if I was sure. Then sold us the tickets.

Bold. I haven't seen Stardust, but That'll be The Day had an oral sex reference, misogyny and some nasty violence, unless of course you think that Ringo Starr deserved a thoroughly good kicking.

Comment

Lady and the Tramp
                            Odeon Cinema, Hallgate, Doncaster

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Bold. I haven't seen Stardust, but That'll be The Day had an oral sex reference, misogyny and some nasty violence, unless of course you think that Ringo Starr deserved a thoroughly good kicking.

I've still got the double-LP soundtrack for the film, incidentally.

Comment

The first that I remember seeing (or at least know that I went to, I don't know if I remember the actual movie at all) was Escape to Witch Mountain. I'd probably been taken to other Disney movies before, though.

Comment

Stardust had lots of drugs too. From memory, Ringo Starr was asking for it, wasn't he?

Comment

Stardust had lots of drugs too. From memory, Ringo Starr was asking for it, wasn't he?

I'd say so. Used to short-change the punters, if memory serves.

Comment

The soundtrack album is great, NS.

Comment

Return of the Jedi in 1983, at some long-gone cinema in Glasgow (mama blameless can't remember which one, and I was only 8 at the time).

Comment

Cinema Treasures in case you are struggling to remember your long demolished local fleapit

Comment

The soundtrack album is great, NS.

It certainly is. It introduced me to a whole slew of turn of the '60s rock 'n' roll. Runaway and Runaround Sue were particular favourites but there were others too. Let me check Wiki...
                                            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 23-03-2021, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                                              Cinema Treasures in case you are struggling to remember your long demolished local fleapit

Excellent, Sid.

As you can see, the Granada, Tooting wasn't your average picture palace:

Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 23-03-2021, 15:05.

Comment

It certainly is. It introduced me to a whole slew of turn of the '60s rock 'n' roll. Runaway and Runaround Sue were particular favourite but there were others too. Let me check Wiki...

OK, Bye Bye Love, Wake Up Little Suzy, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Poetry In Motion, Sealed With A Kiss, Running Bear, Little Darlin', At The Hop...

Comment

Ah, the old Hippodrome. That red paint still sears into my eyeballs to this day.

Comment

Excellent, Sid.

As you can see, the Granada, Tooting wasn't your average picture palace:

That's the bingo hall now, right? Spectacular place - and so incongruous to play bingo in there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X