Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lived and let gone

Yaphet Kotto has died, aged 81

Loved him in Homicide: Life on the Streets.
    Also a great hardcore band of the same name.

Comment

Another sad reminder of just what an amazing cast was assembled for Alien.

Comment

Midnight Run is another film that benefits greatly from his presence.

Wonder what he'll have on his tombstone?

Comment

Incredible career with quite a few collector's items in there. Homicide being one of them for sure in my mind. A presence that made the rest of the cast seem legitimately under his watch. Would have liked to see Kotto flex his comedy chops with Braugher in Brooklyn 911, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Reading up on wikipedia, and he was apparently in the consideration to play Picard in ST:TNG. What a change that would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            Another sad reminder of just what an amazing cast was assembled for Alien.

Yeh, he was great in Alien.

RIP

(Slightly rude digression, but on the film cast question, I always get a bit confused as to which one of the Cartwright sisters played which iconic role in their various performances.)
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 16-03-2021, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              Midnight Run is another film that benefits greatly from his presence.
              Word. In fact, for the thread title I'd have gone with "Is this going to upset me?"

Comment

Also excellent in Schrader's Blue Collar

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                  Also excellent in Schrader's Blue Collar
                  Yes he was. Very good film and one which I cannot remember ever being shown on freeview tv.

Comment

RIP. First saw him in Alien where, as noted above he was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Yes he was. Very good film and one which I cannot remember ever being shown on freeview tv.
                      Think I saw it in the 90s, either BBC2 or channel 4 back when they showed good stuff in the late evenings.

Comment

Performances aside, several years ago he gave one of the more interesting interviews on acting I've read. He gave massive credit to Judy Holliday (of Born Yesterday fame.) She was his guide and mentor when he was still a teenager trying to break into stage work. The image of this young black guy being tutored by a blonde female star — as she was before her early death — during the mid 1950s, is remarkable, and the way he discussed their relationship quite touching. RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X