X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping together/Sharing the same bed platonically

Inspired by this (very funny):

Also, Morecambe and Wise,

Any more examples, whether on screen or real life (I have a few)?

Screen; Trains, Planes and Automobiles.

Real life; 1987, Bohemians away to Aberdeen In the UEFA cup, the supporters club booked a hotel that was recommended by Aberdeen and perfectly fine it was, apart from every room was a double bed,. I had to bunk up with my mate, one of the lads, who booked late,had to share with a total stranger, I would have kipped on the floor.

Comment

Bert & Ernie.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
        Bert & Ernie.
        They have separate beds

Comment

I never have to share a bed (or a room) when I go away with friends. For some reason no one wants to bunk in with me.

Comment

Would Charlie Bucket's family qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

They have separate beds
              Eh? Who am I thinking of then?

I do have some actual examples though: JD & Turk share a bed in an episode of Scrubs after the latter has an argument with Carla.

Sonic and Tails do so at least once in one of the 90s cartoon adaptations.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost did so for a while in real life.
              Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 14-03-2021, 21:31.

Comment

Noddy and Big Ears.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Eh? Who am I thinking of then?
                  Ren and Stimpy, you eeediot.

Comment

Morecambe and Wise.

And me and my first (male) flatmate for two years, me and my second (male) flatmate for three years, and me one-off with numerous male and female friends for eight years when I first moved to Brighton, and they'd all come down from London to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Posty Webber View Post

Ren and Stimpy, you eeediot.
                      As someone whose previous avatar here was Stimpy, I should have got that one. I really am a bloated sack of protoplasm.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                        Morecambe and Wise.
                        As mentioned in OP.

Comment

Morecambe and Wise.

And me and my first (male) flatmate for two years, me and my second (male) flatmate for three years, and me one-off with numerous male and female friends for eight years when I first moved to Brighton, and they'd all come down from London to stay.

Really, (you, not Eric and Ern).

I lay on top of a double bed with my student room-mate laying next to me in the bed on one occasion and I still feel slightly queasy just thinking about it.

Comment

Really? I've laid on bed at the same time as a woman friend, and it didn't cause me any queasiness. Any idea of the source of this bad feeling?

Comment

Sporting, thanks, sorry I missed the Morecambe and Wise thing in the OP.

NS - all of that was true. It never seemed unusual to me, maybe cos my first moving-out-of-home experience was into a one-bed council flat with my best mate, whose girlfriend had just moved out. Seemed the best option. Then I got my own council flat, and a fella who was homeless in Sussex joined my then-band in east London, and needed somewhere to kip. The first few weeks he was on the sofa, but then it just became a bit restrictive, and we were getting on pretty well, so...then, as all my other m/f friends saw that I was happy to share beds with somebody platonically, they all got comfortable with it/me. Actually, ms johnr was one of those friends for many years, but that's another story, never to be told...

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                Really? I've laid on bed at the same time as a woman friend, and it didn't cause me any queasiness. Any idea of the source of this bad feeling?

I suppose I think of bed linen a bit like ones' clothes and being enveloped in it with anyone other than a romantic acquaintance feels really odd. Plus, you know, liquids and gases and things. The thought of rolling into someone else's damp patch...urgh!

Comment

When my mates and I would go away to Florida or wherever, my best mate and I would always share a bed, leaving some unlucky party to kip with Pete and be kicked, punched and snored-upon all night.

Comment

Sporting, thanks, sorry I missed the Morecambe and Wise thing in the OP.

NS - all of that was true. It never seemed unusual to me, maybe cos my first moving-out-of-home experience was into a one-bed council flat with my best mate, whose girlfriend had just moved out. Seemed the best option. Then I got my own council flat, and a fella who was homeless in Sussex joined my then-band in east London, and needed somewhere to kip. The first few weeks he was on the sofa, but then it just became a bit restrictive, and we were getting on pretty well, so...then, as all my other m/f friends saw that I was happy to share beds with somebody platonically, they all got comfortable with it/me. Actually, ms johnr was one of those friends for many years, but that's another story, never to be told...

Yeh. I just couldn't do it!

I remember a young female colleague telling me once that when her friends come round they quite often put jammies on and hop into bed together.

There's a male-female behavioural chasm, right there.
                                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 15-03-2021, 12:47.

Comment

Scott Pilgrim and his roommate, played by Macauley Culkin's brother

Comment

I share NS's gut feelings on this as a real life thing.

Comment

I’ve shared a bed with my sister (in adulthood), my cousin, male friends, female friends, usw. (Not usually more than once, however.)

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                          The thought of rolling into someone else's damp patch...urgh!
                                          Umm, how likely is that to occur if sharing with a non-sexual partner?

Don't answer that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            I’ve shared a bed with my sister (in adulthood), my cousin, male friends, female friends, usw. (Not usually more than once, however.)

Umm, how likely is that to occur if sharing with a non-sexual partner?

Don't answer that.
                                            Depends on whether alcohol has been taken, I should think.

Comment

If I believed there were any likelihood at all in such a problem occurring, I'd probably not be suggesting a bed-share.

Comment

There an awful lot of bodily fluids that can leave a damp patch in a bed, most of which I'll have been guilty of depositing over the years!

(Small amounts. Usually. Apart from sweat on hot nights. Or drool. Let's not talk about the teenage years. I may have said too much. I'm going to stop now.)

Re-reading that first paragraph, can I just clarify that I'm not taking responsibility for the majority of the world's sticky beds.

Comment

I used to work nationwide and would occasionally share a bed with a colleague due to a lack of twin rooms.
                                                  It's amazing how often you wake up kind of cuddling each other, which I attributed to some kind of instinct back to when we'd have to huddle together for warmth, often even when placing a pillow-based barrier between us.
                                                  Can also confirm that I never woke up covered in spunk or any other bodily fluid.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X