Promising Young Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promising Young Woman

We watched Promising Young Woman last night, and I was very impressed. I know it has a little bit of controversy about it - and I understand why. But I came in knowing very little and came away very pleasantly surprised.

Without giving too much away, there were times when the film started to feel like it was shooting fish in a barrel with its easy (no matter how deserving) targets, but if it started doing that it usually veered off in a way I wasn't expecting.

One of the interesting things about it is that, given the subject matter, the cinematography is jarringly light and funny. There's some very Wes Anderson like framings, and a lot of bright colour that made me think of something like Harley Quinn, lots of comic touches which feel out of place. It's a film that's fun and funny to watch, and you kind of know it shouldn't be. I know some people aren't happy with that, but for me the jarring nature of the contradiction worked to make me uncomfortable and question myself a bit.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this. I'm not sure how and when it is coming out in the UK yet but as we're still at least two months away from cinemas reopening I presume it will be on a streaming platform.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-03-2021, 23:32.

Comment

We just paid the $18 or whatever it was to Amazon Prime to watch it at home.

Comment

Yeah, that's not available to us over here yet but I'm sure it will be soon and I'll do the same. Much as I would far rather see it in the cinema it's only the potential blockbusters that are being held back for theatrical release.

Comment

Working...
        X