Fargo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fargo

Is there a Fargo thread? Can't find a dedicated one, but it seems the sort of thing there would be a thread on.

I ask because I'm watching Season 4, which doesn't feel very Fargoey so far. But I am getting strong Wes Anderson vibes. There's Schwartzman, who is of course an Anderson staple, and a character called Zero, which is also the name of a character in Grand Budapest Hotel, and some of the framing and cinematography is very Anderson-like, the use of colours and what have you. I got a sudden urge to watch Life Aquatic and Grand Budapest Hotel yesterday, and I wonder if this is subliminal influence of Fargo. Anyone else spotted this, or am I way off?

Anyway. Great programme. You betcha.

Yeah, it's a bit of a diversion from the previous series, partly I think because it's essentially an urban story. It's also getting a bit self-referential maybe. The casting of the Italian bad son (Salvatore Esposito) from Gomorrah, seemed a bit of nudge, nudge wink, wink, too. Though he's very good

Comment

It's only a diversion until the final ten seconds when they reveal that it's a backstory. I thought it was a very good season, and defo an homage to Anderson rather than the Coens.

Comment

Just watched episode 8 of season 4, and everything fell into place when I heard the line "Pretty unfriendly actually" like a perfectly played game of Tetris. It suddenly hit me where this season is going, and it's just masterful storytelling, isn't it?

Comment

Sorry...I thought you were done. Er...spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Sorry...I thought you were done. Er...spoilers.
            It's ok. I didn't realise it was a spoiler, so no harm done. We'd actually already sat and had a conversation about where and how it all fit in, and the line I mention, plus referring to Rabbi by his surname made it click. It was only after I came to post on here that I sussed you'd ruined the entire series and also my weekend.

Comment

Finished it. It was magnificent, really. It got a bit more Fargoey, especially the Wizard of Oz episode, but there were so many influences it's hard to keep track. The Godfather, Twin Peaks, the Wes Anderson tints faded, but were definitely there early on.

The series has moved on from the Film, and is barely recognisable as an offshoot of it now, having picked at and unravelled so many threads. I've seen people complaining about this, but I don't think it's a problem at all. I'm still sort of marvelling at it.

Comment

I’m finding the most recent series exceptionally boring. Perhaps I’ve changed too much.

Comment

I thought it was one of the better ones. When Chris Rock manages to stifle the smirk, he's a sound enough actor.

Comment

Working...
                  X