Best club scenes in film and TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best club scenes in film and TV

Watching Gavin & Stacey with a club scene and I was reminded of the Spaced episode in contrast. G&S has people able to talk at normal volume, you can hear chatter in the background and far behind that there is some music.

Are there better representations of the club going experience than Epiphanies?

I was thinking about this last night, about how unrealistic club scenes are on telly and film. Even bar scenes have people talking at normal volume. I was used to being hoarse after even a short time in a club, and having to mime out the drink I wanted, often getting entirely the wrong thing, like the night I crashed through a table at the Groucho because Someone had bought me a Mai Tai instead of a mojito.

I haven't seen Epiphanies so can't really comment - but there are some films where people are dancing in a trance like state, which is way more like the real thing.

Comment

The nightclub scene in Basic Instinct - Michael Douglas dancing to LaTour's Blue in a green v-neck sweater.

Comment

Isn't there one with Harrison Ford in Frantic?

Comment

The sixties ones are the best. The music is always at least five years out of date and utterly undancable...

Comment

Yes, usually the sort of light jazz/soundtrack music that people might buy albums of (mostly ironically) in the 2000s, but no-one ever played in the 60s.

Comment

Comment

The club scenes in the first episode of Babylon Berlin were excellent, not remotely realistic I'm sure but that didn't matter..

Comment

Terminator. Check out the dance moves, 2 minutes in. I'm the guy in the black T-shirt, left of screen. Did James Cameron direct any of this or did he just tell the extras "Whatever, just do what you crazy kids do in these places."

Comment

I'm not 100% sure that directors are trying to be 'realistic' when conversation can be heard over the noise of a club...

But anyways - as once mentioned on the TV-cliches thread, the best (or most amusing) scenes for me are those found in 1970s US cop dramas: eg, Starsky and Hutch busting a daytime club full of Afro-sporting young folks gittin' down to music you've never heard in your life.

Comment

Trainspotting was pretty realistic with its use of subtitles.

Comment

There is a Mitchell and Webb sketch in which two people are trying to do some sort of deal in a club but end up giving up as they can't hear each other.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                          but there are some films where people are dancing in a trance like state, which is way more like the real thing.
                          In a lot of the films I've seen that were made in the last five years or so, the vast majority of people on the dancefloor always have at least one arm in the air the entire time.

I've not been to a club for a few years. Do people really dance like that?

Comment

Christiane F and Kids both express the whole clique aspect of clubs very well in both films.

Comment

You can’t hear the music in John Wick. Admittedly because of the sound of gunfire.

Comment

I know that this nightclub doesn’t reflect my own experiences.

Comment

I fully anticipated my first visit to Sol Viva (previously the Roxy) to be like the club in National Lampoons European Vacation.

Comment

Obviously Human Traffic.

Comment

The one at the start of Blade is realistic, in that it's in a slightly weird location, it's playing garbage music, the ceiling is dripping something unmentionable and it's full of people you'd rather not spend any time with.

Comment

I thought that the school disco in the Inbetweeners was fairly realistic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X