Adam Curtis Documentaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam Curtis Documentaries

Take hours of archived footage, add a soundtrack to compliment said footage while weaving a series of unrelated stories together and you have the formula for an Adam Curtis documentary.
    The skill comes in how well he melds these three aspects together to create a larger narrative from individual stories, this most recent series serving as a reminder of how history repeats, while saying an awful lot more besides.
    I first became aware of him via 'Hypernormalisation', and have been moved to post this on the strength of that and his most recent work, which I'll link to here. There are 6 parts, it felt intense at times, but in a way that anything challenging can feel, and my goodness it's a unique trip worth taking.

Credit to Nocturnal Submission for the prompt.
    Last edited by Mr Delicieux; 01-03-2021, 12:24.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I watched the most recent documentary on the strength of the impression this made on me.

Comment

Again, my thanks to Mr Delicieux for alerting me to this. I've only watched the first episode so far but found it absolutely fascinating. I think it's supposed to help us understand the rise of populism in the UK and US and the current state of China but in a very non-linear way. The elements of the narrative, which some of us may know about in other contexts, are being introduced and slowly being weaved together. From memory, so far we have (***SPOILERS***):

Chairman Mao's frustrated film actress wife and her desire for revenge, which I think will lead into the Cultural Revolution and the Gang of Four

Post-war UK immigration and post-imperial malaise, Peter Rachmann's slum landlordism in Notting Hill and the later activity of his henchman, Michael X

The guy who met Lee Harvey Oswald in the army and was going to make his the central figure of him novel, who helped inspire Jim Garrison's conspiratorial worldview and who also helped introduce the Bavarian Illuminati into the world of modern conspiracy thought via a couple of joke letters in Playboy

Project MKULTRA, the CIA mind control program, which has led me to both a local and, perhaps, a personal connection

The huge influence in China and the USSR, unknown to the author Ethel Voynich until the end of her life, of the book The Gadfly. Her father was George Boole, who developed Boolean logic which played such an integral role in the development of computers

And lots more.

Quite intense but hugely stimulating. Would recommend.

Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 01-03-2021, 15:47.

Comment

Thanks for the links, I was hoping these would make their way online for people outside of the UK

Comment

Curtis is on the new episode of Chapo Trap
                    House. His prior appearance is one of their best episodes. A highlight:

https://youtu.be/mlaPZ-xMPGY

Comment

Just finished listening to the 2016 post-US election podcast with Curtis. I found that very enjoyable to listen to, thanks for making me aware of them. It's the first time I've heard him speak outside his documentaries.
                      I've long been saying that through Bush & 9/11 came Trump, how nothing of note has been learned, how they're treated as anomalies, and not instructive as they should be.
                      It's felt like shouting into the wind.

Comment

Working...
                      X