X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Van Dyke blamed his voice coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
      I don't think DVD was miscast in Mary Poppins, I just think doing whatever accent he was doing was a miscalculation. Clearly, everyone involved knew that wasn't a very realistic cockney accent - but they just went with it.

Likewise, Don Cheadle's cockney in Ocean's 11 isn't good and he knew it, but they wouldn't let him improve it for the sequels, reportedly, because they wanted it to stay consistent, reportedly.

I think they just looked at the cast they just really wanted the best Black actor they could get - since the rest of the crew were white except for Bernie Mac (RIP) - and they wanted the bomb guy to be cockney and somehow they settled on making them the same guy.

These days, I think there are more BIPOC actors with enough name recognition that they could have an even more diverse crew and could find one who could do the accent. Like, you know, maybe an actor from London. There are a few.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

Looks like Vladimir Putin in a wig.
        Daniel Craig was way better in that role.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          Marlon Brando in Guys And Dolls​​​​​​. Just not up to it.
          Love Brando in this
          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 18-02-2021, 21:42.

Comment

Oooo! I just thought of a great double mis-casting Warren Beatty and Madonna in Dick Tracy.

Comment

Richard Gere as an honourable IRA gunman in The Jackal is at the confluence of two rich seams of miscasting; "Hollywood actors as IRA gunmen" and "Richard Gere".

Comment

Yeah. I've always wondered if Richard Gere wasn't an early, and not very successful, experiment in CGI.

Comment

I want a romantic leading man, but I want him to remind people of ALF

Comment

Emma Watson in the live action Beauty and the Beast. That film really showed her limited ability as an actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Emma Watson in the live action Beauty and the Beast. That film really showed her limited ability as an actor.
                      Not to mention Emma Thompson's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Daniel Craig was way better in that role.
                        I like Craig in most things he's done, but the only reason that wasn't the most pointless, bloodless Hollywood remake of a Scandi film this century, is because Let Me In set the bar impossibly high.

Comment

There have been a few odd / inspired casting choices in the Marvel Cinematic Universe but one of the worst was Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Not to mention Emma Thompson's.
                            Honestly didn't remember she was in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

I like Craig in most things he's done, but the only reason that wasn't the most pointless, bloodless Hollywood remake of a Scandi film this century, is because Let Me In set the bar impossibly high.
                              It was in English. That was the point.

And it had Christopher Plummer

And music by Trent Reznor

Comment

I seem to remember the production values of the Swedish Stieg Larsson adaptations dropping sharply between the first instalment and the follow ups. David Fincher never got to complete the trilogy, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

It was in English. That was the point.

And it had Christopher Plummer

And music by Trent Reznor
                                  Ah, the one-inch-tall barrier.

The production was too glossy for me.

Comment

As I recall, the Swedish versions were widely distributed in the US. The studio seemed to think that would help promote the English one, but maybe the potential audience just thought it was redundant.

Comment

The recent SMERSHPod is on Batman Forever and talking about how utterly unsuited Tommy Lee Jones is to playing the Joker. Well, it says Two-Face in the credits, but he's definitely trying to play the Joker.

Comment

The US remake of Dragon Tattoo was the exception that proves the rule as far as 'pointless' remaking goes:
                                        - it wasn't a made-for-tv drama shoehorned into feature film form
                                        - Craig was believable as a man with two love interests
                                        - Rooney Mara was very good
                                        - Fincher went to town in one or two sequences and I genuinely felt it had been worth seeing again/done differently

Comment

I mostly agree with F,Igs, although I could have done without the two love interests stuff in the books and the films. Whenever Larsson started going on about Mikael and Erika's cool relationship he began to remind me of Tim Robbins' earnest sex hippy in High Fidelity.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            The recent SMERSHPod is on Batman Forever and talking about how utterly unsuited Tommy Lee Jones is to playing the Joker. Well, it says Two-Face in the credits, but he's definitely trying to play the Joker.
                                            I love Tommy Lee Jones in that film, but then I love everything in that film so I'm a bit biased.

Comment

Wow. Really? There's scope for a 'rate the Batman films from worst to best' thread there (the best is Batman Begins, by the way).
                                              Anyway. back to GWTDT. Much as I love Daniel Craig as an actor, the remake's only reason to exist was to indulge those too idle to read the subtitles on the Swedish version, which is far superior. The US version was just... well, it was OK if you haven't seen the original. Wasn't English language dubbing available on the Swedish language DVD? I get the thing about Nyqvist being a less obvious object of desire than Craig, but maybe the Swedes are less into appearances... it's the beauty inside that counts, man.
                                              Personally I preferred Let Me In. Although it wasn't even close to matching Let The Right One In, at least it wasn't a virtual frame by frame reconstruction in English, so the Craig GWTDT takes the worst Scandi cover title for me.
                                              Tack.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                I want a romantic leading man, but I want him to remind people of ALF
                                                Just get him to eat a cat then.

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                                                  Wow. Really? There's scope for a 'rate the Batman films from worst to best' thread there (the best is Batman Begins, by the way).
                                                  Anyway. back to GWTDT. Much as I love Daniel Craig as an actor, the remake's only reason to exist was to indulge those too idle to read the subtitles on the Swedish version, which is far superior. The US version was just... well, it was OK if you haven't seen the original. Wasn't English language dubbing available on the Swedish language DVD? I get the thing about Nyqvist being a less obvious object of desire than Craig, but maybe the Swedes are less into appearances... it's the beauty inside that counts, man.
                                                  Personally I preferred Let Me In. Although it wasn't even close to matching Let The Right One In, at least it wasn't a virtual frame by frame reconstruction in English, so the Craig GWTDT takes the worst Scandi cover title for me.
                                                  Tack.
                                                  Batman Forever was the first Batman film I saw and owned on video. I used to watch it over and over. I still have that video as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X