Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great miscastings in movies

Three to begin:

Tony Curtis in Son of Ali Baba. Looks great, sounds... "Yondah lies the Castle of my Faddah."

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conquerer. Looks and sounds as if he grabbed the wrong costume on his way to the set of Red River.

Mick Jagger as Ned Kelly. Mouthfuls of Fosters were being spat out across Oz as the Mickster pranced his way across the outback.

Love Harvey Keitel, however it was very hard to take him seriously playing Judas in Last Temptation of Christ.

Comment

Marlon Brando in Guys And Dolls​​​​​​. Just not up to it.

Comment

Comment

Russell Crowe as Robin Hood, whichever accent you choose from, really doesn’t sit right.

Comment

Recently read a book about the making of Ryan's Daughter, which was a mess of mis casting. Tough guy Robert Mitchum did his best as the mild mannered school teacher but the romantic lead, Christopher Jones was a disaster. David Lean heard his English accent on a previous film, and cast him without meeting him, not knowing that the performance was dubbed due to his inability to be convincing. Several people suggested his co star, one Anthony Hopkins.
            Last edited by elguapo4; 17-02-2021, 20:24.

Comment

Every single person apart from the daughter in Mamma Mia!.

Comment

It was Dick Van Dyke's (mis)casting that made the character of Bert iconic. A happy accident.

Richard Attenborough as John Hammond in the original Jurassic Park perhaps left a shade to be desired.

Comment

I hadn’t thought of Bert that way, but I suppose that’s very true.

I did think Dicky was all right at the dinosaur park though.

Comment

Dick van Dyke's terrific in Mary Poppins.

Comment

Mikael Nyqvist, who plays Mikael Blomkvist in the Swedish film adaptation of the Stieg Larsson trilogy.

In the book, he's clearly so attractive to women that he's metaphorically beating them off with a stick. Don't see it myself …

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        I hadn’t thought of Bert that way, but I suppose that’s very true.

I did think Dicky was all right at the dinosaur park though.
                        He was 'okay' - but his accent wandered even further than the Dilophosaurus.

Comment

Bob Hoskins as Hoover in 'Nixon'?

Comment

I've not seen the film, but Little Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher, who gets called a giant on nearly every page of every book he's in, was a surprising choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

I'm really happy that DVD's performance in Mary Poppins has got a mention as it allows me to go off at a tangent and print the lyrics for Getta Bloomin' Move On! (better known as The Self Preservation Society) from The Italian Job. Written by Chicago's finest, Quincy Jones, they put the poverty of Dick's efforts into a little more context:

England
                              England
                              England
                              England
                              England
                              This is the self-preservation society,
                              This is the self-preservation society
                              Go wash your German bands, your boat race too
                              Comb your barnet, fair we've got alot to do
                              Put on your dickie dirt and your peckham rye
                              'Cause time's soon hurrying by
                              Get your skates on mate
                              Get your skates on mate
                              No bib around your Gregory Peck today, eh?
                              Drop your plates of meat right up on the seat
                              This is the self-preservation society,
                              Gotta get a bloomin' move on
                              Babadab-babadabadab-bab-ba
                              Jump in the jam jar gonna get straight
                              (Babadab-babadabadab-bab-ba)
                              Hurry up mate, gonna be late
                              How's your father?
                              Tickety boo, tickety boo
                              England
                              England
                              England
                              Instrumental
                              England
                              England
                              England
                              The self-preservation society,
                              How's your father?
                              Tickety boo, tickety boo
                              Tickety boo, tickety boo
                              Tickety boo, tickety boo
                              England
                              England
                              The self-preservation society,
                              How's your father?
                              Tickety boo, tickety boo
                              England
                              England
                              Babadab-babadabadab-bab-ba...
                              England
                              England
                              England

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                Mikael Nyqvist, who plays Mikael Blomkvist in the Swedish film adaptation of the Stieg Larsson trilogy.

In the book, he's clearly so attractive to women that he's metaphorically beating them off with a stick. Don't see it myself …

Looks like Vladimir Putin in a wig.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                  I've not seen the film, but Little Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher, who gets called a giant on nearly every page of every book he's in, was a surprising choice.
                                  As someone who has read every single one of the books, Cruise made the best of a bad job - it's not his fault the second one is rubbish. Ultimately he was the reason it was getting made.

Easy target - Keanu Reeves in anything that isn't Bill and Ted or John Wick. Andie McDowell is no great shakes as an actress but was heroically bad in Hudson Hawk.

I'm heading down a rabbit hole of bad actors rather than good actors in bad roles though. Oh, here's one - Brion James in Tango and Cash.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

Looks like Vladimir Putin in a wig.
                                    I thought he had something of Shaun Ryder about him, which added to the film if anything.

He popped up as a Russian naval officer in Hunter Killer, a ropey submarine caper with Gerard Butler that I watched the other day. It must have been one of the last things he did before his premature death, although in the film he looked marginally less raddled than the Happy Mondays main man does these days.

Comment

He looks like an unsuccessful Elon Musk Lookalike that you might hire to open your supermarket or nightclub.

Nearly everyone in Bonfire of the vanities.

Comment

The entire voice cast of Disney's Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Andi McDowell in both "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Groundhog Day", she almost ruins both.

There must have been any number of leading ladies in the 90s who would've injected some personality into those roles rather than being completely wooden and bland.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                            The entire voice cast of Disney's Winnie the Pooh
                                            Actually, that's very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratorello View Post
                                              Andi McDowell in both "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Groundhog Day", she almost ruins both.

There must have been any number of leading ladies in the 90s who would've injected some personality into those roles rather than being completely wooden and bland.
                                              According to IMDB, with regards to Four Weddings, Marisa Tomei and Jeanne Tripplehorn both had to pull out before filming started, Phoebe Cates, Melanie Griffith and Brooke Shields turned down the role, and Sarah Jessica Parker auditioned but wasn't chosen.

Whatever about her acting skills, Mc Dowell took a percentage of profits instead of a straight fee, so she's no eejit.
                                              Last edited by elguapo4; 18-02-2021, 19:22.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                Likewise, I have not seen Mr. Scientology in Valkyrie, but would definitely cringe having to watch him play Claus Von Stauffenberg.

Comment

Hayden Christiansen in two of the Star Wars prequels. Got the part because he was tall, apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X