German "Ostalgie" film - please help me identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German "Ostalgie" film - please help me identify

Question to the German cinema buffs on here. What's the name of the film I describe below, that I'm struggling to remember/

Unless my memory is failing me, the central character - I expect the eponymous character {Edit: not in fact eponymous, the title turns out to be an adjectival noun describing the lead character. Further edit: and that's just the German language original title. For the English market it was given a totally different, four word, title, kind of referring to her situation and her odyssey.] - is a female writer from West Germany, whose works pre-1989 have been pro-communist, pro-GDR, and have found a ready market in the GDR, where she has been idolised. On the collapse of the GDR, her market and her cultural standing evaporate, and it turns out her books were a bit crap after all. She goes on a bit of an Odyssey around Germany, meeting a gigolo, then her fellow-alcoholic ex-husband, then her aging parents in Bavaria, her life kind of falling apart as her delusions are shattered. Don't want to say any more, to avoid spoilers, except I will say (spoiler) that it doesn't end well. The whole film is very bleak and downbeat, not many laughs or strong positive characters.

Watched it last summer on holiday, with my student daughter, on the recommendation, IIRC, of an old uni friend of mine (or possibly on wingco's recommendation). We didn't like it much. Anyone help me out with the title? [Edit - a FB friend has now named it for me, but I'll leave this as a quiz q.]
    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 10-02-2021, 23:40.

My money is on FIGS or Nef

The premise sounds familiar, but I definitely have not seen it

Comment

Despite my interest in German film I am hampered by living outside the capital in a country that barely imports or distributes any so I didnt see that, alas

Comment

One of my FB friends solved it for me within 15 minutes of my posting, so I'll leave it here just as a quiz question, but with a minor correction by way of editing my OP.

Comment

Turns out that (as I vaguely remember noting at the time) the original German language title was not translated for its international release - instead it was given a totally different four word English language title.

Comment

Haven't a clue as I've never heard or seen anything of this ilk, but would like to know the title so that I can see it - sounds right up my Strasse.

Comment

It's Die Unberuehrbare - but its title for the English language market was "No Place to Go" (which is actually, imho, a much better title for it in the light of how the film pans out). There's a Wiki page under that English title but beware massive spoiler in it.

Comment

That's just given me a flashback to Die Ber?hrte, one of the most discomfiting films I've ever seen (and one which, coincidentally, also has a four-word English title that's wholly disconnected from the German).

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                  It's Die Unberuehrbare - but its title for the English language market was "No Place to Go" (which is actually, imho, a much better title for it in the light of how the film pans out). There's a Wiki page under that English title but beware massive spoiler in it.
                  Cheers - have found it on amazon prime.

Comment

Well, hope you like it more than I did. I think it was wingco who recommended it to me.

Comment

Presumably the English title was changed to avoid confusion with The Untouchables, but yes it also sounds more relevant to the plot.

It sounds like the sort of film I'd convince myself that I should watch, but then tire of quite quickly and turn it off to watch Con Air again.

I'm amused and slightly baffled that EEG was seeking information on a film that he didn't enjoy.

Comment

That's just given me a flashback to Die Ber?hrte, one of the most discomfiting films I've ever seen (and one which, coincidentally, also has a four-word English title that's wholly disconnected from the German)
                        Crikey, just looked that up on Wiki. Sounds grim indeed.

Comment

I'm amused and slightly baffled that EEG was seeking information on a film that he didn't enjoy
                          I hate forgetting names, film titles etc. Although this time I really didn't engage my brain. I should have remembered that due to recommendation received I'd actually bought the DVD (which was what I watched on hols with my daughter), so I only needed to look in my DVD cupboard to refresh my memory as to the title. Anyway, a FB friend who had been living in Germany when the film was released saved me the trouble of clearing away the junk blocking access to that cupboard. And, if it's led imp to find a film he likes, all's well that ends well.
                          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 15-02-2021, 18:43.

Comment

Sanders-Brahms did not make "feel good" films

Comment

I'll chase it up on prime sometime.
                              Not an Ostalgie film but one I saw in Berlin in 2019 that is related (artist popular in DDR) is Guendermann, about a rock band in Hoyerswerda and who was or wasn't a Stasi tout

Comment

Working...
                              X