No announcement yet.

English Counties In Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Superman IV Christopher Reeves dropped Nuclear Man into Didcot Power Station, but unfortunately I don't recall anybody mentioning that they were in Oxfordshire.

Comment

The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner - Notts

(and Memphis Belle Cambs or Norfolk, surely?)

Comment

Memphis Belle (the plane) short time in Hunts then Cambs (RAF Bassingbourne). Some filming at Duxford. Not all of it though, most in Lincolnshire I think.

Comment

Bhaji on the Beach sets off from Birmingham to Blackpool

Comment

So, just Herefordshire to go, and I'm thinking that Who Dares Wins would probably qualify.

I don't suppose there's been an Ian Hunter biopic or Mott The Hoople docu-film that I've missed?

Comment

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?l...0England,%20UK These titles have all been filmed in Hereford apparently. All well known names.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?l...0England,%20UK These titles have all been filmed in Hereford apparently. All well known names.

Good find, Rob, but there's a lot of TV in there.

Comment

Well I tried the Hereford Times article for films shot in and around Herefordshire and it mostly quotes films shot outside the county (Atonement in Shropshire, A Force Awakens in Gloucestershire).

Comment

Sorting the imdb lists by "US Box Office" is very clunky, but it does push the television entries down the list

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?l...e_gross_us,asc

imdb pro allows you to do such searches more efficiently, but one needs to pay for it

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                      A Force Awakens in Gloucestershire.
                      Is that about the Fred West case?

Comment

For Essex I'll nominate Lawless Heart which was set and filmed in Maldon. It came out in 2001, a lovely film with Bill Nighy and Tom Hollander just before they became famous. Being set in Maldon puts it close to home from me, small town North Essex, a long way from the mockney gangster cliches of South Essex

I haven't seen it in 20 years so not sure how it holds up but it's one of those almost forgotten films from the 2000's - too recent for nostalgia, too far in the past to be contemporary.

Comment

Speaking of TV, I don't think anyone ever answered this:
                          Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                          Which part of East Anglia was Lovejoy filmed and set in? Cambridgeshire?
                          I was always certain Lovejoy was set in Suffolk, AE, and as far as I knew it was filmed there too – though curiously on looking it up now there appear to be a lot of references to generically 'East Anglia' and surprisingly little to anywhere specific.

After a bit of digging, though, I've just unearthed this custom Google Map where some heroic soul has marked over 100 filming locations from the series. It appears the principle sites were somewhere near Bury St Edmunds, though they seem to have shot all over south Suffolk and north Essex.

Comment

The Dunkirk beach scenes in Atonement were shot at Redcar beach, so that's one for historic county Cleveland. I appreciate that they weren't supposed to be in Redcar, but as significant chunks of Middlesbrough are in the Borough of Redcar and Cleveland and Middlesbrough is Dunkirk's twin town, we can probably safely count it.

Comment

Wasn't Middlesbrough the setting for The Road?

Comment

Is that something with Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour?

Comment

Not quite.

Comment

What, the post-apocalyptic Cormac McCarthy adaptation with Viggo Mortensen?

Comment

Working...
                                    X