English Counties In Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I'm caught up now.

Let me know if I missed or mis-attributed you.

Comment

First reaction: If we're using old boundaries, then Warwickshire must be easy, as it includes Birmingham.

Later reaction: There aren't many films set in Birmingham, are there? I'm struggling here.

Compared with all the local colour of Liverpool, Sheffield and other prominent English cities, poor old Brum seems to have missed out. Who wants to educate me? (without reaching for the telly).

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
        Think I'm caught up now.

First person to mention Warwickshire for Lady Godiva, yesterday 18.58.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission Wilts has The Draughtsman's Contract and Cornwall has Blue Juice (but that's piling on really).

tee rex that was my thought process as well re, Birmingham. Can we have Locke and the M6?

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

tee rex that was my thought process as well re, Birmingham. Can we have Locke and the M6?
            The character himself is supposedly from Birmingham and that is where his journey begins.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

First person to mention Warwickshire for Lady Godiva, yesterday 18.58.

OK, matey. I'll amend.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                Nocturnal Submission Wilts has The Draughtsman's Contract and Cornwall has Blue Juice (but that's piling on really).

Got it and given SotS's back-up I'll add Locke.
                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 02-02-2021, 16:36.

Comment

Think I'm caught up now.

Still to put Four Lions down for Yorkshire.

Comment

Aghhhhh, there's a whole batch of entries from early yesterday evening that I've somehow missed!

Right, give me 10 minutes.

Comment

Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee version) gets the trifecta of source book / film setting / actually filmed in Devon.

Comment

The Dambusters were at RAF Scampton, so chalk that one up for Lincolnshire. A Room for Romeo Brass for Nottinghamshire.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee version) gets the trifecta of source book / film setting / actually filmed in Devon.

But is that where it's supposedly set, which is the main thing? Lots of places fill in for others in films, but the important thing, for the purpose of this thread, is the actual setting of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by salt n shake View Post
                            The Dambusters were at RAF Scampton, so chalk that one up for Lincolnshire. A Room for Romeo Brass for Nottinghamshire.

Yes, the former did occur to me but I really couldn't remember how much of the film was set there. I'll add it though.

Comment

But is that where it's supposedly set, which is the main thing? Lots of places fill in for others in films, but the important thing, for the purpose of this thread, is the actual setting of the story.
                              Yes, it's set in Devon (for the main action). I'd actually make it the county's top nominee, as there's not much chance of the gritty Exeter underworld ever making it to the big screen.

Comment

Yes, the former did occur to me but I really couldn't remember how much of the film was set there. I'll add it though.
                                A fair point - all the parts where they are on the base would be Lincolnshire, obviously, but the really good bits (practice bombing runs, and the dam-busting itself) would be set elsewhere (Chesil Beach I think was used for practicing in real life, in the film they're at a reservoir if I recall).

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Yes, it's set in Devon (for the main action). I'd actually make it the county's top nominee, as there's not much chance of the gritty Exeter underworld ever making it to the big screen.

Fair enough, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by salt n shake View Post

A fair point - all the parts where they are on the base would be Lincolnshire, obviously, but the really good bits (practice bombing runs, and the dam-busting itself) would be set elsewhere (Chesil Beach I think was used for practicing in real life, in the film they're at a reservoir if I recall).
                                    I think they used Derwentwater (Derbyshire, if it matters) for many of their actual training runs.

Comment

I've been trying - and failing - to think of any non-Oxford Oxfordshire films. There are many films set in stately homes in Oxfordshire-ish countryside, and I'm pretty sure that Blenheim Palace is frequently used as generic stately home setting but rarely if ever identified as being in Woodstock. There are any number of Oxford university films, as mentioned before. All the Bridesheady stuff, or Oxford Blues, or whatever. But not much else.

Comment

Filmed in Chipping Norton

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?l...0England,%20UK

Horror features prominently, which makes sense

Comment

The first film on that list - the execrable The Holiday - would actually be a choice for Surrey. They explicitly locate the setting as "Surrey" in the "plot".

Comment

Take Me High(1973) was set in Birmingham. Cliff Richard running a high class burger emporium in the second city.

Comment

Atonement, the Ian Mcewan novel with Keira Knightley in it was filmed in a place called Onibury, which may be in Herefordshire (but also may be in Shropshire, I can't really tell)

Another Cambridgeshire film arguably is The Battle of Britain which was partly set in Duxford

(Edit: Onibury is in Shropshire now, but may have been in historical Herefordshire)

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I think they used Derwentwater (Derbyshire, if it matters) for many of their actual training runs.
                                                The Upper Derwent Valley was used for training runs for the actual missions, and stood in for the various Ruhr Valley for the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                  Warwickshire - Was any of Shakespeare in Love actually set in Stratford?
                                                  I've not read past this post, but if Shakespeare in Love wasn't, then Gnomeo and Juliet most definitely was.

Comment

Appointment in London - a war movie with Dirk Bogarde - was filmed at RAF Upwood in what was then Huntingdonshire (Dad was stationed at Upwood in 1938 and part of 39).

I haven't checked but Shuttleworth/Old Warden in Bedfordshire may have been used for movies like Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.
                                                    Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 03-02-2021, 09:59.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X