English Counties In Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

You need to take up the geography issue with NS. He only offered Lincolnshire as an option.
    Indeed:

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    Anyway, I've gone with a list of the historic counties. Please let's not get too hung up on the precise geography of this!

Comment

I'm a bit confused as to the qualifying criteria. Is it where the film is filmed or where the film is set? (e.g. Chariots of Fire being set in Cambridge but filmed elsewhere)

If it's where a film is filmed then the Harry Potter movies were filmed all over the place including Alnwick Castle in Northumberland and Gloucester Cathedral in Gloucestershire.

Comment

In the film Creation, Charles Darwin takes his ill daughter to drink the spa waters at Great Malvern, so if we didn't have Worcestershire on the list, that might tick that one off.

Comment

You're right. The OP does say "set"

(Chariots of Fire can have a Kent entry then as that famous running on the beach seen was supposed to be in Broadstairs (though in fact it was filmed in St Andrews)

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Neither did Wales.

But "The Festival", a 2019 knockabout featuring laddy out of the Inbetweeners, did get filmed in Compton Martin and if there's a less Somerset name than that I'll take my wellies off before bed.
            They also filmed for a day at Leeds Festival when we were there. My daughter was "on the barrier" for someone, then when they finished she left to come and meet me for one of our pre-arranged check-ins - but then as soon as she left they started filming for the movie (said laddy ends up on stage or something) and she reckons she would have been on camera if it wasn't for me and my pesky interest in her well-being. I did witness the filming though, which could be a niche spin off thread - things you watched getting filmed, but weren't expecting to (mine would include this, a Kate Nash video, a hairspray advert in Los Angeles and an advert of some sort in Germany).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I did witness the filming though, which could be a niche spin off thread - things you watched getting filmed, but weren't expecting to
              You should go for a stroll at the bottom of the Ley Inn car park in Wood End on a Saturday night.

Comment

Suffolk: Akenfield

Comment

And now The Dig

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                    I'm guessing pebble has got me on ignore poster.
                    Bother, missed that.

Ok, I'll move slightly eastwards and go with Son of Rambow for Hertfordshire, as that's Berkhamsted

Comment

I was Zooming yesterday evening and been doing other things since but I'm trying to update the initial post with the plethora of welcome suggestions.

Quick point. I did ask that we don't get too hung up on county boundaries, otherwise we'll spend all our time arguing about something that's fairly inconsequential. The object of the exercise isn't really about trying to attach certain film shots or scenes that could have been filmed anywhere to a county, interesting as that information is. It's more about a film having a distinctly local flavour, or at least a named town or city where a sizeable chunk of the action occurs. So a film set in the Fens or the Yorkshire Dales that employs the local scenery and, I'm going to say it, culture as part of the narrative would be perfect; an outside shot of the mosque in Woking as a substitute for an Islamabad street scene, not so much.
                      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 02-02-2021, 16:49.

Comment

If we're still struggling for Warwickshire there are two early silent films called Lady Godiva, as well as one from the 50s featuring Maureen O'hara

Comment

I did ask that we don't get too hung up on county boundaries, otherwise we'll spend all our time arguing about something that's fairly inconsequential.
                          Fun sponge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

You should go for a stroll at the bottom of the Ley Inn car park in Wood End on a Saturday night.
                            I believe there was a "glamour" photo shoot outside Brunton Park in broad daylight once, that nobody witnessed at the time. (Insert joke here re it being ten to three on a matchday.)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              If we're still struggling for Warwickshire there are two early silent films called Lady Godiva, as well as one from the 50s featuring Maureen O'hara
                              Also Nativity! (their exclamation mark) is set in Coventry.

Comment

I knew I'd seen a film set in Coventry recently.

Comment

I'm guessing Ad Hoc has me on ignore ( this is fun)

Comment

For Cheshire the Danny Boyle film Millions is set in Widnes.

Comment

that famous running on the beach seen
                                      Is that the one where they run in slow motion to illustrate how fast they are?

Comment

If you want a film set in Lancashire that isn't Manchester or Liverpool then there is always Northern Soul.

Comment

If you want a film set in Lancashire that isn't Manchester or Liverpool then there is always Northern Soul.
                                          Brief Encounter too.

Elsewhere in the North:

Yorkshire - a varied triple bill of Billy Liar, Threads, Rita Sue & Bob Too.

Northumberland - if we're sticking to old counties - I Daniel Blake.

Cumberland - if we are sticking to "set in" - Porridge .

Comment

Gnomeo and Juliet was an excellent suggestion for Warks. but I can certainly add yours too.

Comment

Also Nativity! (their exclamation mark) is set in Coventry.

My kids loved that film and it certainly had its moments. The follow-up was a bit of a hard watch, even for a film that was made for kids. The third in the series, which "starred" Martin Clunes and Catherine Tate, was the only film that I can ever remember where some of the actors were actually taking the piss out of themselves and the "script".

Comment

Quick point. I did ask that we don't get too hung up on county boundaries, otherwise we'll spend all our time arguing about something that's fairly inconsequential
                                                Oh. This thread's not for me then. (Smiley, winky face emoji).

Rita, Sue and Bob Too is a good call for, ahem, the West Riding of Yorkshire.
                                                The women at the petrol station at my work are interchangable middle aged women called Rita, Sue and Barbara, so I've taken to referring to the petrol colleagues as "Rita, Sue and Barb too".
                                                My colleagues don't all get the reference, even though it was set and filmed 5 miles away, before some of them were born.

Comment

My kids loved that film and it certainly had its moments. The follow-up was a bit of a hard watch, even for a film that was made for kids. The third in the series, which "starred" Martin Clunes and Catherine Tate, was the only film that I can ever remember where some of the actors were actually taking the piss out of themselves and the "script".

Nativity! 3: Dude, Where's My Donkey? "On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 16% based on 19 reviews, with an average rating of 3.14/10."

Comment

Nativity! 3: Dude, Where's My Donkey? "On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 16% based on 19 reviews, with an average rating of 3.14/10."

Back to No. 2:

The film received generally negative reviews from critics, Robbie Collin from the Telegraph rated the movie one star out of five claiming "this sequel pushes the amateurish angle much harder, and seems to wear its abject lousiness as a badge of honour. "Mark Kermode of BBC Radio 5 Live criticised the film's humour among the irresponsibility of the Mr Poppy character, suggesting the character "had enough of a CBeebiesappeal but was more threatening and weird than funny and entertaining".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X