No announcement yet.

English Counties In Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warwickshire - Was any of Shakespeare in Love actually set in Stratford?

Comment

An obvious film for Dorset would be On Chesil Beach. (It's an adaptation)

Comment

And the general assumption is that Pride and Prejudice is set in Hertfordshire. Although I don't think it's specifically named in the book or the film.

Comment

Hot Fuzz was filmed in Wells. I'm not sure if Somerset is particularly mentioned although calling it the "West Country" makes it kind of obvious.

Comment

Andrea Arnold's Fish tank is mostly set in Tilbury, Essex.

Bits of Tommy were shot in Portsmouth (the pier burnt down during filming there), although i got bored after 15 minutes and don't know if it's related to the plot. Anthony Hopkins was spotted ambling around Gosport a couple of years ago, shooting one of those identikit superhero blockbusters that keep all the grand old British thesps in employment. (Apparently it was a Transformers movie, The last knight, made in 2016. Time flies!)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Hot Fuzz was filmed in Wells. I'm not sure if Somerset is particularly mentioned although calling it the "West Country" makes it kind of obvious.
              The police force in the film were called South Gloucestershire Constabulary.

Comment

For Bedfordshire Blinded by the Light was set in Luton.

Comment

Musing further I'll propose The Black Windmill as another entry for Sussex, as that's where the windmill(s) is/are, and The Offence for Berkshire as there is a new town feel to it, (it was filmed around Bracknell).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

The police force in the film were called South Gloucestershire Constabulary.
                    Ah. Avon then.

Comment

And Cemetery Junction was set in Reading, Berkshire.

Comment

Huntingdonshire might be some kind of biopic of Oliver Cromwell

Or a film in which a heart transplant features as Papworth is in Huntingdonshire
                        Last edited by ad hoc; 01-02-2021, 17:51.

Comment

Brassed Off for Yorkshire. Set and filmed in Satchmo's former home village.

Comment

Sticking with The Cornetto Trilogy, most of The Worlds End was set in Letchworth and Welwyn Garden City in Herts.
                            And of course Elstree is in Herts as well.

Comment

Think Yorkshire should be divided into the ridings
                              Most of the candidates mentioned so far are in the West Riding

Comment

Hampshire - 'Yesterday's Hero' (that film with Ian McShane playing the alcoholic footballer with 'The Saints')

Comment

Four Lions is another Yorkshire film, and also the best one.

Comment

Cumbria didn't exist until 1974, after when the film's set.

Comment

Are films made for TV allowed? Then Cider with Rosie - Gloucestershire.

Comment

Blue Juice for Cornwall
                                        Funny Bones - Lancs
                                        Once Upon a Time in the Midlands - Notts
                                        Kinky Boots - Northants Byzantium - Sussex
                                        Last edited by Levin; 01-02-2021, 18:55.

Comment

All Creatures Great and Small ticks the North Riding for you.

Comment

There's been at least two Lady Godiva films, so that's Warwickshire.

Berkshire; In Fever Pitch, the hero Paul, like Nick Hornby, grew up in Maidenhead

Ironclad is about the siege of Rochester in Kent.

Any Mary Queen of Scots film would cover her execution in Fotheringham Castle in Northamptonshire.

Comment

The Draughtsman's Contract - Wilts
                                              sorry for repeating some other people

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                Swallows and Amazons would account for Cumberland if Withnail and I is actually Westmorland.
                                                Swallows and Amazons is ruled out for Cumberland I'm afraid. Both Coniston (Lancashire) and Windermere (Westmorland, with Lancashire to the west) lay claim to it.

Withnail and I was partly set in Cumberland (Penrith) but largely filmed in nearby villages in Westmorland. And some filming round Haweswater, which was of course annexed by Manchester.

Parts of Tommy were filmed in Borrowdale, so that's a partial claim for Cumberland (Ken Russell had a house there). The closing scenes of 28 Days Later were filmed in Ennerdale, also in Cumberland.

There have been a few with scenes filmed in Cumberland but set some distance away, the most extreme being The Force Awakens.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Swallows and Amazons is ruled out for Cumberland I'm afraid. Both Coniston (Lancashire) and Windermere (Westmorland, with Lancashire to the west) lay claim to it..

There have been a few with scenes filmed in Cumberland but set some distance away, the most extreme being The Force Awakens.
                                                  Sorry I'm hazy on which bit of Cumbria is which. I really enjoyed seeing the Millennium Falcon flying over Catbells and Derwentwater.

Although the lake in the book was based on Windermere, the film (or TV show?) I remember from the 80s was filmed on Derwentwater.

Comment

Not that Lorna Doone or Hound of the Baskervilles are particularly bucolic they are set on the moors, however for a bit of Devon city action there's the 1982 film 'Remembrance' which makes good use of Plymouth as a backdrop to the inevitable clash of townie v. navy. An early screen appearance for Gary Oldman, also Timothy Spall and John Altman.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X