The Climb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Climb

I'm not sure if this warrants its own thread, but I'm kind of bored of discussions of new films getting sunk in the Current Watching thread, so...

We watched The Climb a couple of nights ago. And it's almost a great film.

It's brilliantly shot - there's a bit of a 1917 thing going on with each of the 7 chapters being single-shots. Interestingly, I didn't notice until well into the film: unlike 1917 - it wasn't particularly showy about it.

It's very funny in places, darkly funny but funny.

And there's cycling. Although I was hoping for more cycling. Chapter one is a pair of guys cycling up a hill - the initial "climb" in question - and is probably my favourite of the chapters. Films should have more cycling.

It definitely has a low-ish budget American indie-film aesthetic going on, which I sometimes find grating but worked well for this.

Anyway, the film in general is a bit of a bromance thing, but a bromance of toxic male friendship. And that's really the main problem with it. All the characters are basically arseholes, but particularly the two main characters - the toxic friends - are just pretty obnoxious so it's hard to want redemption for them or their friendship. I think I've just seen too many films where the characters are unpleasant. really You don't need to be a total arse in order to be interesting or amusing.

Still, with that reservation, it was still well worth 90 minutes of my time and a $5.99 rental fee. It's not like anything else I've seen recently.

I recently watched the 2017 film 'The Climb' (original French title L'Ascension) which was based on the true story of Nadir Dendoune, a French-Algerian from the banlieuewho climbed Everest having had no previous mountaineering experience.

It's enjoyably funny and sweet with some knockabout stuff and has had an invented romantic sub-plot (and a few other elements) grafted on to the facts of the story.

Comment

If we are doing tangents, my four year old spends so much time clambering up his bunk bed I think I might buy him a hang board. Is it OK for a 4 year old to watch Free Solo?

Comment

Time for M to "lose" her rings again

Comment

His agility is insane. He is basically part primate they way he climbs stuff.

Comment

I think the trouble with a four year old watching Free Solo is the same as a 20 year old watching it - they might think they can do it themselves. 4 year olds probably wouldn't get the abject fear that I do watching it.

Comment

Working...
            X