X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1960s Motorcycle Scrambling short doc.

Just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be

Hooligans. Disturbing the peaceful Essex countryside with their dirty, noisy machines.

Is scrambling the same as, or turned into, Motocross which takes over US arenas?

I was listening to 200%s podcast about kickstart the other day. Was that a real sport or something made up for TV.

Comment

Eamonn Andrews!

Comment

I can remember watching the scrambling as filler on Grandstand (maybe ITV World of Sport too) as a kid. Dave Bickers as a top rider rings a bell, and I recall Greve bikes were used along with CZ machines.

mind you, you really wouldn’t want that sport anywhere near your house. The noise from those 2 strokes must have been deafening. Speedway was bad enough for noise.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
          I can remember watching the scrambling as filler on Grandstand (maybe ITV World of Sport too) as a kid. Dave Bickers as a top rider rings a bell, and I recall Greve bikes were used along with CZ machines.

mind you, you really wouldn’t want that sport anywhere near your house. The noise from those 2 strokes must have been deafening. Speedway was bad enough for noise.
          Yep, Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith and Arthur Lampkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            Hooligans. Disturbing the peaceful Essex countryside with their dirty, noisy machines.

Is scrambling the same as, or turned into, Motocross which takes over US arenas?

I was listening to 200%s podcast about kickstart the other day. Was that a real sport or something made up for TV.
            Yes, scrambling was already motocross in other countries by the early 70s and stadium cross was a fan-friendly US developed variant that got adopted elsewhere.

Kickstart was an attempt to make motorcycle trials into television entertainment - obviously very artificial obstacles but the skills were a decent translation from what was required in the sport itself, which usually involves old quarries, rivers and waterfalls, steep wooded areas and fellsides.

If we're doing great scrambles riders from the 60-70s then I'll throw in John Banks, a giant of a man on heavy old Bolton-built CCM 4 strokes. Big John once popped his shoulder out on landing from a jump and decided that his best option was to take the next jump harder and faster to try and make it pop back in again. It didn't work and he had to stop, but that makes me wince just thinking about it. I was just too late to see Jeff Smith race but did see Bickers, Lampkin, Vic Eastwood, Vic Allan and a host of other greats during the early 70s.

Comment

It's just the names I remember. And Husqvarna.

Comment

I had never heard of Greve bikes before that doc. Also, that 'home built' mini bike is killer.

Comment

Vintage 'Hare & Hound' Racing Short (1967). If you've seen On Any Sunday, you'll recognize some of the shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a64niu0db8

Comment

And if you've never seen On Any Sunday, sort yourself out before it gets taken down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-F5p0kt-o

Comment

Short doc on 'Motorcycling Culture in the '80s' (UK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN8aVTtfZj8

Comment

Working...
                      X