American mums having naked baths with their daught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't really see the problem with a mum bathing with her daughter. Nor indeed any parent bathing with any offspring (although I guess it would be strange once the kids reach puberty). I don't bathe with my children, mainly because it's totally impractical and bathtime is more one of stress and panic than relaxation and enjoyment. And anyway, I prefer a shower. But I don't have problems with my kids seeing me naked, and nor do they, despite the cruel and nasty things they say about my adonis-like body.

Comment

BSS, I love that book.

Comment

Yeah, there's no shitstorm. Just bewilderment at what exactly the problem is here. I'd love to see some of the thinking behind this squeamishness fleshed out.

Comment

Careful, don't say "flesh"!

Comment

The real weirdness was in Morvern Callar: two friends (late teens or early twenties, I'm guessing) bathing together.

Comment

I hate baths
              You sick fuck.

Comment

Baths? Meh. Keep 'em. Stewing in your own filth, getting colder by the minute. Showers are where it's at. Like sex: lukewarm, and in and out in 90 seconds.

Comment

Count me as a convert to the Nordic way of thinking. When I was a student in Germany I couldn't believe it when, the first time we took a trip to the lake in summer, all these people I knew got their tits and knackers out like it was perfectly natural or something. How they laughed at the repressed Brit in his shreddies claiming that he wasn't pulling them down because he didn't want to get a sunburnt knob.

The late Ann Landers, the world's worst advice columnist who was still stuck in the Victorian era, was the last person I saw in print to say that it's "damaging" for children to see their parents naked. She had the honesty to confess that whenever she wrote this, she'd get a hefty mailbag in response, none of it positive. And she had absolutely no evidence to back up her assertion other than a hunch that it's somehow bad. If you'd told me there was one person on this board who might agree with her, I reckon SR would have been the last one I'd have picked.

Comment

Who'd've been your first pick?

Comment

I'm making a list in reverse order. I'll tell you when I get to the top.

Comment

The most shocking thing in this thread is clearly the revelation that imp reads Ann Landers.

Comment

Ah, but has he seen her naked?

The division here seems to be between those who have children and those who don't.

On another tack there appears to be a very strange double standard in America about these things.

I remember a case like the one FF refers to where people having photos developed that showed them in the bath with a young child resulted in the authorities being called in.

Develop a pic of the same kid waving an AK47 around and they would probably be the Fox News Parent of the Month

Comment

Not with an AK. An M16, maybe we're talking.

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                              Incidentally, Clive, I'm not getting "shitstorm" here, I'm getting "Huh? What's these people's problem?"
                              Okay, but then you did use my name in particular when you first raised your concern, thus...

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                              If there's "logic" in Clive's position I'm missing it.
                              ...rather than "...these people's position..."
                              so you can see my point, yes?

Getting back on topic, I was lucky enough to have a very liberal mother, who had been a nurse, so I grew up always having my questions about the human body answered. On the other hand, I had a terrible 'Victorian' father, so anything vaguely sexual/anatomical was right off the agenda when he was around. It was a strange balancing act for a child to have to perform. ...But one which has possibly resulted in me becoming the healthy pervert I am today! ;-D

Comment

I only mentioned you in connection with "logic" because you were the one that used the term.

Comment

I couldn't believe it when, the first time we took a trip to the lake in summer, all these people I knew got their tits and knackers out like it was perfectly natural or something.
                                  See call me repressed or a prude or whatever but, yeurgh. I don't want to have to look at that kind of thing! Put it away!

Comment

I was a victim of an hilarious prank by m'lovely wife-to-be in the run-up to our Iranian wedding ceremony. She said that it was traditional for the bride's mother to give the groom an all-over body wash on the morning of the wedding. For days, I was labouring under the terrible expectation that I'd have to stand in the bath whilst her mum gave my naked body a thorough abluting.

Comment

Kudos to the missus, mumpo. That's brilliant.

Also, I'm with Lyra on this one. There is a reason clothes were invented.

Comment

Lyra wrote: "See call me repressed or a prude or whatever but, yeurgh. I don't want to have to look at that kind of thing! Put it away!"

But here's the amazing thing - after about five minutes you get used to it.

Comment

I don't want to get used to it!

Comment

Sorry, but having the original name of this thread on the summary page for the last couple of days has been bothering me.

Comment

Cuz yer American mum bathed you until you were 17? (That's why I suspect SR's against it. (shhh) )

Comment

No.

More like because my (genuinely) friendly IT person asked me what it was about.

Comment

Oh dear. Kind of amusing, but also very much not.

Doubt I will be on here much this summer!

Comment

There is a reason clothes were invented.

Umm...To keep us warm?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X