No announcement yet.

Actors Playing Parts For Which They Were Too Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is one episode in which there has been an announcement that older members of the Home Guard will be switched to the ARP, with the result that characters try to appear younger than they are (several eventual opting to use embalming fluid)

Comment

Pretty much all of Tom Cruise's early films were like real life, full length remakes of a Joe 90 episode, substituting a wide-eyed just out of college genius for the wide-eyed brain-pattern-transplanted 9 year old.

Having said that, and despite Tom being a 30 year old going on 21 in many of them, Joe probably does edge it in terms of creditability, as well as having a less wooden acting style and on screen presence.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
        There is one episode in which there has been an announcement that older members of the Home Guard will be switched to the ARP, with the result that characters try to appear younger than they are (several eventual opting to use embalming fluid)

That was a really good episode, Mainwaring recoiling in surprise when confronted by his newly "youthful" troops.

Comment

Keep Young and Beautiful (1972)

The War Office plans a review of both the Home Guard and the ARP in order to decide which less fit soldiers of the first and less fit of the second should be transferred to the other corps. As this is the last thing that either group's men want, various tricks go towards making them look younger or older. After a field exercise proves the platoon's fitness is at best questionable, Mainwaring tries a terrible toupee, Wilson wears a corset, Frazer and Walker make money by using unsuitable beautician substances.

Comment

Quite terrifying:

Comment

Reaction to Godfrey at 25:35.

Comment

One of my favourite lines " He looks like Madame Butterfly "

Comment

Ooh thanks, I’ll watch the whole episode over the weekend.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission Spoiler tags, please. People may be eating.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Yeah but David Kelly looked 50 when he was 17!
                      He basically looked the same from the age of 30 all the way through to 80!

Comment

Realising that the characters in Dad's Army were, by and large, born in the 19th century comes as a shock when you think about it.

Analyse it and it's obvious, but the ubiquity of repeats makes them seem like a bunch of elderly uncles to me, which puts them as being born in the 1950s. Hammering it home that pretty much all of them would have been dead by the time I was born in the mid 70s is a sobering reminder of one's mortality.

Comment

I'm pretty certain that the only actor amongst them who was dead by the mid-1970s was James Beck, and he was 44 when he died.

I think those years of birth referred to earlier are likely way out. The very first episode shows them all at an "I'm backing Britain" event in 1968, which would have made Jones 98, Godfrey 97 and Frazer 96 by then. I know they have to set up the conceit of the series in the first episode, but if you're writing a show the central premise of which is that they are old people, starting thirty years after the setting of its main time period seems like very strange way of going about it.

Wilson's character in the first episode was 52. Four years older than I am now. Fuck that.

In answer to the the general question of this thread: any Hollywood actor playing the wife or girlfriend of an actor in their 50s or 60s. Too many to choose from, really.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                            I'm pretty certain that the only actor amongst them who was dead by the mid-1970s was James Beck, and he was 44 when he died.
                            I think Eggchaser was referring to the characters, rather than the actors portraying them.

I always struggled with the fact that Clive Dunn the actor was evidently some years younger than Corporal Jones (whatever age that might have been) - as borne out by the lyrics of his spin-off record.

'Now my days are gone' ran the first verse of Grandad: the man was still alive forty years after it was a hit, for Christ's sake.

Comment

Clive Dunn was 47 when Dad's Army started. For a time it looked like he wasn't going to be available, and they were going to offer the part to the 27 year old David Jason.

Comment

Seriously? Did not know that. So instead, less than a decade later, he’s playing Granville - a character presumably much younger than Jason himself.

Character actors, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  Seriously? Did not know that. So instead, less than a decade later, he’s playing Granville - a character presumably much younger than Jason himself.

Character actors, eh?
                                  He did play the elderly Blanco in Porridge, so appeared alongside Ronnie Barker in one programme he was meant to be perhaps thirty years younger and one in which was around thirty years older.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Character actors, eh?
                                    Not only that but he first played Granville in 1973 (in the pilot of sorts), then played the old lag Blanco Webb in Porridge (alongside Barker of course) before playing Granville for the series proper of Open All Hours.

Comment

I've seen Clive Dunn playing an elderly character in an early sixties British film. Quite possibly The Fast Lady.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                        He did play the elderly Blanco in Porridge, so appeared alongside Ronnie Barker in one programme he was meant to be perhaps thirty years younger and one in which was around thirty years older.
                                        Of course, with his little music box 'what plays Waltzing Matilda'. He'd have been 35-playing-70, or thereabouts.

Comment

Just to confirm, I did mean the characters, not the actors.

That Porridge episode with Blanco has one of the best final lines of all time.

Comment

Re Granville's age, according to Wikipedia:

His exact age is never revealed, though in Series Two (set in 1981), one of the characters, Gordon, mentions a Hungarian man* who visited the area in the late-1940s.

Which at a push would have Granville born in 1950, ten years after David Jason was actually born.

*alluded to as his father.

Comment

Working...
                                            X