Actors Playing Parts For Which They Were Too Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors Playing Parts For Which They Were Too Young

Lionel Jeffries in pretty much everything he was in.

As I said on a previous thread, Marty Crane in Frasier, played by John Mahoney.

According to the timeline of the show, he was born, went to school, served in Korea, joined the police, met,dated and married Hester Crane and fathered Frasier by the age of 15.

Comment

The live action version of Aladdin was OK, but the actor playing Jafar (Marwan Kenzari) looked way too young for the role.

Comment

Although the ages of the characters in Dad's Army were not given, when Clive Dunn was at No.1 with 'Grandad' he was only almost exactly two years older than I now am, and...hold on, I'm not young any more am I?

Comment

Albert Finney playing Scrooge at 34.

Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane in Superman Returns. A five-year-old son, a Pulitzer prize and you're 22?

Comment

In Noah, Anthony Hopkins plays Methusaleh.

Comment

As some on here will recall, Sandi Toksvig was playing a middle-aged housewife at age 23 on ITV Saturday morning kids' show No. 73 during the early eighties.

Rather oddly, she was credited as 'Ethel Davis' - which was the character's name - in the credits.

Comment

Warren Mitchell. He was 25 years younger than Dandy Nichols in “Till Death Us Do Part”. Like Lionel Jeffries, going bald young had something to do with it.

Comment

Charlie Sheen was only 21 in Wall Street but he made himself look a little older by gaining some weight.
                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 01-01-2021, 19:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                    Although the ages of the characters in Dad's Army were not given
                    Well, as stated on the parallel thread, Pike starts off the series as a 17 year old.

Now, according to wiki. Jack Jones was born in 1870, Godfrey in 1871, Mainwaring in 1885, Wilson in 1887, Frazer in 1872. But I have serious doubts as to whether these are wiki inventions, back stories created by the writers, and indeed if anyone's age (apart from Pike's) or birth year was ever actually referred to in individual episodes.

Comment

On Golden Girls, Estelle Geddy played Bea Arthur’s mother, but she was about a year younger.

Comment

Bump for Nefertiti2...

Comment

Gary Oldman, too handsome and virile in his early 50s for George Smiley in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Comment

That's really interesting regarding Charlie Sheen. That is really remarkably young (at least it seems to me)

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                              Gary Oldman, too handsome and virile in his early 50s for George Smiley in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
                              Don't get me started on that film. Oldman as Smiley isn't even in the top 5 casting errors in that flick.

Comment

John Thaw was in his early 30s when he played Regan in The Sweeney. Maybe not too young to have reached the rank of Detective Inspector, but Regan always came across as a right gnarled old slaaag who'd been in the job for 20 years and more.

Comment

John Thaw looked mid fifties for most of his life if memory serves.

Comment

I don't know what age David Kelly was supposed to be when he played Albert Riddle in Robin's Nest but he was about 45-50 (so a good 5-10 years younger than me now) when he did. Id say he looked like he had a hard life but he made it to 82 and was still acting in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when he was 75. I suppose it proves the adage that people just looked older then.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

Don't get me started on that film. Oldman as Smiley isn't even in the top 5 casting errors in that flick.
                                      I was going to put this on the inverse thread but it always tickles me that Gary Oldman is 13 days younger than Gary Numan.

Comment

Guy Pearce (45) playing the geriatric Weyland in Prometheus? Lashings of make up, prosthetics and whatever, but why not just get an old bloke to play the part? It's not like there are no actors over seventy knocking about.
                                        Didn't think much of the film either, tbh.

Comment

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibiti...strumpet-city/

Check out David Kelly playing rashers tierney in strumpet city. He's 50 years old in this picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                            Well, as stated on the parallel thread, Pike starts off the series as a 17 year old.

Now, according to wiki. Jack Jones was born in 1870, Godfrey in 1871, Mainwaring in 1885, Wilson in 1887, Frazer in 1872. But I have serious doubts as to whether these are wiki inventions, back stories created by the writers, and indeed if anyone's age (apart from Pike's) or birth year was ever actually referred to in individual episodes.
                                            (Belatedly...)

I definitely recall one episode in which Frazer and Jones were arguing about who was the younger, and an affronted Jones piped up with 'I'm not sixty yet!'

Given that the series is obviously set around 1940-odd, this would make his - and probably Frazer's - Wiki date completely impossible. (Unless Jones was lying by at least a decade.)

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibiti...strumpet-city/

Check out David Kelly playing rashers tierney in strumpet city. He's 50 years old in this picture.
                                              Yeah but David Kelly looked 50 when he was 17!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                (Belatedly...)

I definitely recall one episode in which Frazer and Jones were arguing about who was the younger, and an affronted Jones piped up with 'I'm not sixty yet!'

Given that the series is obviously set around 1940-odd, this would make his - and probably Frazer's - Wiki date completely impossible. (Unless Jones was lying by at least a decade.)

​​Wasn't Jones supposed to be a Boer War veteran, which would make the earlier date more likely?

Actually, I seem to remember him making comments about the "fuzzy-wuzzies" and if he fought in the Mahdist War the earlier date was definitely the more likely.

Comment

This is indeed very true. Clearly he was telling serious porkies in that episode.

I’ll try and determine which it was. (But don’t hold your breath!)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X