New Year's Eve movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Year's Eve movies

Are there a bunch of these, and I just can't think of any? The only one that comes to mind is When Harry Met Sally.

The Apartment ​​​​​​

Comment

Ghostbusters II.

Comment

The Time Machine (Rod Taylor original). Also a New Century's Eve movie, a more select group.

Comment

Aren;t there quite a lot of disaster/saving the world type films which have their denouements in Times Square at midnight? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but those films were how most people outside of the US got to know that there is something that happens there that night

Comment

Erm...

Comment

Strange Days, the dystopian sci-fi with Ralph Fiennes, is set on NYE 1999.

Comment

The Poseidon Adventure must be the most famous, I'd have thought.

Comment

There's a Wiki page.

Comment

Another vote for the Poseidon Adventure here. In my family we still say "Happy NOO year", from the fillum. Which it would seem we saw in the cinema en famille when it came out. In 1972. When I was 5.
                    Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 29-12-2020, 12:12.

Comment

I'd totally forgotten Peter's Friends. I think I went to see that at the cinema at the time. I wonder why that never gets more of an airing? The cast list is literally your list of British national treasures.

Comment

I've seen some of the films on the list quite recently and, for whatever reason, an NYE setting just doesn't seem to register or stick in the mind as much as Christmas does.

Comment

Yeah, but if you read the first line carefully, you'll see they only list films set around New Year of the Gregorian calendar.

Let's have some examples of films set around the Julian calendar, people.

More seriously, it's a very focused on English language films. I bet there are shedloads of films in other languages which fit the bill.

Comment

There are a load of (even English language) films that feature action on Chinese New Year (There is at least one Bond film for example)

Comment

Yes, I guessed that the "Gregorian calendar" thing was a nod to the different "new years" of various non-Western/non-Christian cultures. I was being facetious because I thought it was a funny way of putting it, as "Gregorian" is usually expressing a distinction from "Julian" rather than a distinction from Chinese, Jewish or whatever. Edit: I mean, I dare say "Gregorian" is the best, because most concise, unambiguous, neutral etc. way of putting it. It just seemed a bit funny.
                              Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 29-12-2020, 14:02.

Comment

Another Hollywood new year movie about a non Gregorian NY is Full Metal Jacket which is (at least partly) about the Tet Offensive

Comment

Anyway, I bet Ugo Boncompagni's parents would have been delighted at his verbal immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                    Erm...
                                    A movie so bad, you want to cancel the concept of years.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      Another vote for the Poseidon Adventure here. In my family we still say "Happy NOO year", from the fillum. Which it would seem we saw in the cinema en famille when it came out. In 1972. When I was 5.
                                      Similarly bellowed by Flavor Flav in New Jack City, with (obviously) a big clock round his neck. Although NYE is only a small part of the film in that example.

Comment

"I know it was you Fredo."

Comment

There's Phantom Thread, End of Days and Happy New Year Charlie Brown

The first London scene in the Fourth Protocol takes place on New Year's Eve

The train part of Trading Places takes place on New Year's Eve

When I was a kid there were a couple of years when The Ipcress Film was the first film on BBC 1 after midnight on New Year's Eve so I always count that as a New Year's Eve film.

Comment

Entrapment's whole main set-up is based on New Years Eve. There was a time that movie was almost impossible to avoid as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                              Happy New Year Charlie Brown
                                              It's a TV special, as most of the Peanuts ones are. Talking of which, I heard that Apple TV have bought up most of the TV specials. But there was such an outcry when people realised that A Charlie Brown Christmas wouldn't be shown on free-to-air US TV this Christmas that Apple TV let PBS put it on.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                Entrapment's whole main set-up is based on New Years Eve. There was a time that movie was almost impossible to avoid as well.
                                                I have tried to expunge any memory of that awful movie from my brain, beyond "don't under any circumstances watch this again".

Comment

The Schwarzenegger film " End of Days " concerns the Millennium, which was New Year's as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X