Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actors Playing Parts For Which They Were Too Old

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dennis Waterman was fourteen when he played the eleven-year-old William Brown.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

      I don't think the original plan was to release it on Apple TV. It was supposed to be in theaters, but they made a deal when the pandemic made that impossible/unprofitable.

      It's definitely a "dad movie" and Hanks is king of Dadcore.
      hahahaha. I enjoyed that. yeah, there's a lot of films that found themselves being streamed against their will. I'd quite like to see greyhound at some point, Even though battle of the atlantic films are essentially unfilmable withouth huge amounts of cheating, with time and distance, and it seems to be Jaws with a metal talking shark.

      Comment


        Originally posted by treibeis View Post
        Dennis Waterman was fourteen when he played the eleven-year-old William Brown.
        Ruined it for me.

        Comment


          Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          It's got to be tom hanks in greyhound. He would be the second oldest man in the navy after the fucking commander in chief, Admrial King. A sailor as old as tom Hanks actually is during Greyhound, would have fought in the Spanish-american war.
          Actors in war films are nearly always at least 10+ years too old, see also Brad Pitt playing a tank commander in Fury. He was pushing 50 at the time where as a 30 year old WW2 tank commander would've been considered long in the tooth.

          Comment


            War films definitely fall into the "reality is unrealistic" trope. Seeing a bunch of teenagers playing recent conscripts would no doubt lead some people to complain.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Tratorello View Post

              Actors in war films are nearly always at least 10+ years too old, see also Brad Pitt playing a tank commander in Fury. He was pushing 50 at the time where as a 30 year old WW2 tank commander would've been considered long in the tooth.
              Brad pitt was indeed 50 filming fury. In 1944, Eisenhower was 54. That's how ridiculously old he was.

              though as this propaganda film by James Stewart about b-52 pilots from 1959 people just looked old back then. we are expected to believe that most of the crew is 34, and the pilot's piano playing daughter is apparently 13. Not only does she look a hell of a lot older, she is also suspiciously good at playing the piano.

              Comment


                Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                War films definitely fall into the "reality is unrealistic" trope. Seeing a bunch of teenagers playing recent conscripts would no doubt lead some people to complain.
                It would be great if someone did, and surely someone has? What better way to convey the truth about conscription and war?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

                  Brad pitt was indeed 50 filming fury. In 1944, Eisenhower was 54. That's how ridiculously old he was.

                  though as this propaganda film by James Stewart about b-52 pilots from 1959 people just looked old back then. we are expected to believe that most of the crew is 34, and the pilot's piano playing daughter is apparently 13. Not only does she look a hell of a lot older, she is also suspiciously good at playing the piano.
                  That film, wow. To think they’re still flying those things today. Not the point I know.

                  Comment


                    I’m watching the outstanding Judas and the Black Messiah. The real Fred Hampton was only 20-21 during the events of the film. He’s played by Daniel Kaluyaa, who is about 30. Bill O’Neal was also very young, played by LaKeith Stanfield who is in his late 20s.

                    It’s very good, but it might be good for the story to show how young they were.

                    Comment


                      Emma Thompson playing Kate Winslett's only slightly older sister in Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility. Thompson would have been 35 at the time and was playing Eleanor, a girl of 18. Winslett was 20 and played her 16 year-old sister Marianne.

                      Comment


                        Trying to do this without giving away spoilers but, in News Of The World, Tom Hanks' character's wife is 33-37 whereas Hanks is 64. Now the upper limit for Confederate soldiers was 45 and the Civil War started 10 years before the film is set. So either he is playing a character at least 10 years below his age (and, even allowing for the times, he looks every inch of 64 if not older) or he is supposed to be 30 years older than his wife. Perhaps that was normal for the times. Don't let this put you off, it's a good film.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                          Sorry to lower the tone, but copying the structure of fatbear's post, James Eckhouse was only 14 and a half years older than Jason Priestley in Beverly Hills 90210
                          Beverley Hills 90210 is fairly famous for being the 90s version of Grease and Happy Days for having nearly middle aged "teenagers"

                          I have mentioned this before but, in the dreadful "To Catch A Thief", 51 year old Cary Grant is the romantic lead along with 26 year old Grace Kelly (and the crush of 30 year old Brigitte Auber

                          who is playing much younger than Grace Kelly) even though he is only 8 years younger than Jessie Royce Landis who played Kelly's mother.


                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                            IMDb doesn't list anything before 1976, alas. Rather disconcerting to discover he's almost exactly the same age as my mum!
                            Not related to this thread but I doubt that that fact wasn't as disconcerting to you as the fact that Debbie Harry is only 2 years younger than my Mum. This is bad enough in itself but she once went to a fancy dress party as Debbie Harry. Cost a fortune in therapy that did.

                            Comment


                              Ouch, I feel for you Bored mate, I really do!

                              Comment


                                Happened to catch the 1951 version of Richard Wright's Native Son at the weekend, which is very odd and perfectly dreadful for several reasons. Not least of which is that, in spite of never acting in anything before, Wright plays the lead character Bigger Thomas. Bigger is eighteen in the novel, Wright was forty when the movie was made, and looks every day of it.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  I’m watching the outstanding Judas and the Black Messiah. The real Fred Hampton was only 20-21 during the events of the film. He’s played by Daniel Kaluyaa, who is about 30. Bill O’Neal was also very young, played by LaKeith Stanfield who is in his late 20s.

                                  It’s very good, but it might be good for the story to show how young they were.
                                  Yeah, I definitely didn't realize how young the actual people were. Ironically, the real Bill O'Neal, who we see in the interview at the end, was only 40 years old when that interview was done. He looked to be at least in his 50s to me.

                                  Comment


                                    Fifty year old Terence Stamp played John Tunstall in Young Guns. Tunstall was 23 when he was killed.

                                    Comment


                                      37 year Kris Kristofferson played 21 year old Billy the Kid in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

                                      Comment

                                      Working...
                                      X