Actors Playing Parts For Which They Were Too Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Matt Damon (43) as Scott Thorson (18) in Beyond The Candelabra. No soft focus, no de-aging CGI, no prosthetics - nothing.
    IIRC, they didn't claim he was 18 in the film. They just changed the story.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
      Watched The Breakfast Club with teenage daughters this weekend. Apart from the fact it has clearly dated (and was pretty naff), having 25-year-old Judd Nelson play Bender was ludicrous.
      It's a classic. It feels way too white and and heteronormative now, but does a great job of representing what it's trying to represent, too-old actors notwithstanding.

Ferris Bueller's is the best of Hughes' cycle of suburban white kid films despite being completely ungrounded in reality. It's like a myth. It describes a subjective, rather than objective, reality.

It's worth pointing out that all American high schools are not like New Trier or the other posh suburban schools north of Chicago, but about 90% of US films about high school seem to be about those schools, especially all the John Hughes films, including Home Alone, plus Mean Girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

IIRC, they didn't claim he was 18 in the film. They just changed the story.
        Thus blowing the whole "based on a true story" thing apart.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Thus blowing the whole "based on a true story" thing apart.
          Well "based on" offers a lot of flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

A racist playing a racist?
            Which one?

Just because Daltrey is a piece of shit who advocated Brexit without considering the consequences of losing freedom of movement for fellow musicians doesnt make him a racist?

(unless he appeared on a UKIP platform of course?)

Rodney Marsh, I don't know about?

Comment

PS. I did know he was a repugnant piece of sexist misogynisic shit given his comments on the "Me Too" movement though

Comment

How he had the brass knackers to put his name to that open letter is beyond me.

Comment

Daltrey supported Enoch Powell

https://www.greenleft.org.au/content...lution-and-60s

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    That says Rod Stewart supported Enoch Powell.

Although it also says Daltrey did support anti[-immigration and thought Hitler did good things for the German people.

Comment

I don't know if there are any more examples like this..... Ian McDiarmid played the Emperor in Return of the Jedi then, as an older actor, played a younger version of the same character a decade and a half later.

Comment

Rod is a wrong 'un as well then. Always thought him as a harmless cockney wanker, if probably a bluff old Tory.

Comment

Surely the worst recent offender for this was the Breaking Bad movie, El Camino, where 40 year old Aaron Paul reprises his role of Jesse who’s supposed to be about 19 or 20 I think.

Comment

That film was a bit shit really. Apart from Robert Forster.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              [The breakfast club is] a classic. It feels way too white and and heteronormative now, but does a great job of representing what it's trying to represent, too-old actors notwithstanding.
                              i tried to watch this for the first time a couple of years ago, Nou remembered it fondly from her youth. The scene where Bender yells at Molly what's-her-name, kind of prude-shames her, is one of only two or three times i've been so triggered by a scene that i've had to turn the film off. i wonder how KGR's daughters reacted to that.

i pulled myself together in time to watch that late scene where Molly w-h-n erases Ally Sheedy's identity by giving her a makeover. i can't obviously talk for the rest of the movie, but the bits i saw were misogynistic in a way that seemed to upset me viscerally rather than just provoking the usual eye-roll. i think that's partly because i know it's a well-loved film, and truth be told i was a bit frustrated that Nou had been getting the warm feeling of nostalgia from rewatching it until i started having a panic attack.

i've never seen any other Hughes films and amn't going to, but i'm amazed that his vision of high school resonated over here as much as it obviously did.

Comment

Molly Ringwald.

And, yes, I agree. The sympathy we're coerced into feeling for Judd Nelson's character is ill-judged. The guy's a bully - firstly, in that nasty misogynistic way with Claire (Molly R) and then very presumptuously with Brian. So he has a rough home-life? Yeah, so he says. (The makeover part was strangely fascistic. Why does Ally Sheedy's character have to be homogenised so for her to be deemed acceptable?)

Not a movie that's aged terribly well, either.

Comment

I thought it was shit the first time around tbh.

Comment

It's a fillum that I could start a Films you were too old to notice thread with...

Comment

Originally posted by laverte View Post
                                      i've never seen any other Hughes films and amn't going to, but i'm amazed that his vision of high school resonated over here as much as it obviously did.
                                      This is the weird thing. My hazy recollection of the 80s is that those Brat Pack movies about high school or university never really resonated at all. They made it into the public consciousness mostly because America kept talking about them. Breakfast Club, Fast Times and Ridgemont High, St Elmo's Fire. They showed something that was completely alien whenever I tried to watch them. Ferris Bueller was slightly different because it was about kids having fun and nicking a fast car and being in the city (I've not seen in in 30+ years, mind you, so it might be shocking now), it wasn't about the weirdly alien concepts of the American education system which had absolutely nothing to do with my life.

And I don't recall any of my friends in the 80s ever giving those films a second thought or ever mentioning them. They just weren't a thing. Perhaps we were our own bubble, but it definitely felt like they only became a thing in the UK after they kept being referenced by Americans in the 90s.

Comment

I have always thought them to be a highly particular white, USian, middle-to-upper middle class, suburban view of adolescence (in addition to being very much of their chronological time).

Unfortunately, people of that background have a huge amount of influence in US public life.

Comment

That's the way I felt as well, I had zero connection to these kids and their problems Ferris Bueller was a nob as well, I hope he's still paying his mate's dad for the sports car he wrecked.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                            That's the way I felt as well, I had zero connection to these kids and their problems Ferris Bueller was a nob as well, I hope he's still paying his mate's dad for the sports car he wrecked.
                                            Plus as discussed in multiple pieces on the internet and probably on here at some point, the timeline of the day is a mess.

Comment

His UK-music taste was all over the shop. That was my problem with Bueller.

Comment

Posters are going to some lengths here to squash any suspicions that they might be Hadley Freeman in real life.

Pretty In Pink and The Breakfast Club had higher profiles than other teen films of the time because their breakout soundtrack hits made them seem familiar even to people who hadn't actually seen them. I don't remember them as being enduring cult films of the VHS rental era in the way that, say, The Warriors or Escape From New York were.

Comment

Despite the utterly alien setting, those Hughes movies did have a pretty universal appeal - the setup of The Breakfast Club is immediately recognisable to any teenager. The jock, the high school princess, the outsider, the nerd and the bully all thrown together by an authority figure and getting through it by figuring out who they are to themselves. It's the Friends principle - always at least one that you identify with.

Ferris Bueller is an arsehole and everyone knew that at the time - but he lives the dream of bunking off school for the day to the ultimate. Hell, even Weird Science was full of relatable bits to a teenager.

Looking back on it, yes they are all completely problematic in many areas. I daresay that some of the appeal was in the setting - being a kind in America looked so appealing. Big houses, access to cars and money. Bit better than the glum secondary school I was at.

And for my next lecture, while the David Lightman character in WarGames was such a big influence on my life.*

* No, not the computer thing. I'm currently being hunted by the US military.

Comment

'Animal House' - John Belushi 28, Tim Matheson 30. Director Landis was younger than both of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X