Favourite YouTube channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite YouTube channels

Not sure if we've ever had such a thread. A place to list regular channels you get excited when they drop something new.

Here's my one to start with, which I caught onto from my son really. Map Men is Jay Foreman and Mark Cooper-Jones's occasional comedy series about geographical oddities, including why British names are so hard to pronounce, disputed regions, the world's oldest border, etc. It's funny and fascinating.

Jay Foreman's channel as a whole is great, of course.
    Jay Foreman and Mark Cooper-Jones are MAP MEN! Two men with a passion for geography have joined forces to make a YouTube series all about the world's weirdes...
    Last edited by diggedy derek; 18-12-2020, 10:57.

Most of my subscribed channels are pretty niche (ie I have about a dozen devoted to Flight Simulator/Truck Simulator/Faming Simulator, and another dozen that are just hardware/tech reviews). In terms of channels with more general appeal, my favourites are probably ZeFrank (biology facts but funny), Scott Manley (space news and explainers) and Simone Giertz (silly maker builds).

Comment

Jay Foreman style of comedy usually gets on my nerves but for some reason I find his stuff really funny - Map Men is great. Tom Scott is a less funny but equally watchable equivalent.

Geoff Marshall and All The Stations is another one.

Comment

The lockdown has dragged a few youtubers up to my frequent recommendations so I end up watching nearly everything new they post in my deeply catatonic TV-watching state: TwoSetViolin (classical music memes), Daniel Thrasher (piano/music skits), Kraig Adams (solo hiking films), HITC sport (listy-still-photo-football vids with lots of ranting), Jomboy Media (american sports - especially the breakdowns), Mark Rober (sciency), aforementioned Giertz. Tom Scott comes up frequently, as does Stand-up Maths. I go back and watch Vihart (math doodles) videos on occasion when I feel like I've forgotten something. D&D related things: Zee bashew (animated spellbook), Matt Colville (DM tips).

I've also watched the James Acaster clip "Finders Keepers Shut Up" about 100 times. Easily my favorite bit of comedy in the last 30 years, so youtube just keeps putting it on my home page.

I expect I'd probably really enjoy Map Men, so I'll have to watch one eventually.

Comment

I watch the ten minute Steve Dangle hockey podcast edits. I'm taking a break from the Elite Dangerous universe but will be diving back in soon so Obsidian Ant is good.

On the Geoff Marshall / Jay Foreman thing, you might like Jago Hazzard for covering similar ground - however his delivery and voice grate on my very soul.

Captain Joe is really good for finding out stuff about planes.

The B1M and Half as Interesting are worth the occasional dip into. And Chris Harris Drives has moved to the Top Gear channel and is worth it.

Comment

Another +1 for both Tom Scott and Stand-Up Maths. Numberphile is another one if you've got a head for figures.

Ashens if like me, you like cheap tat, random gubbins and old (usually broken) electronics.

Applemask/Bob The Fish for TV ephemera.

LGR, Modern Classic, Nostalgia Nerd and This Does Not Compute for more old computer stuff.

Cyanide & Happiness if you have a sick, twisted sense of humour.

Oddity Archive for audio visual... umm... oddities.

TysyTube, Odd Tinkering and My Mechanics for relaxing/satisfying repairs and restorations.

Comment

Another +1 for Tom Scott and Ashens.

Red letter media
              TV and film reviews, plus their series on watching random VHS cassettes and bad old movies. They've given me an awful lot of insight into aspects of those mediums I'd never considered prior to watching their channel.

Let's game it out
              can be very funny, funny to the point where my wife and i have had tears in our eyes. Very good for dipping into, only to find you've spent an hour watching them.

The back focus
              a series of mini documentaries on actors you'd recognise but didn't know much about. They're very well researched, and I can't think of one that didn't leave me smiling. They're made by an actor who has had a few small parts in films and TV before, and comes across as somebody who loves that industry.

Nardwuar Serviette.
              A Canadian radio DJ and musician who interviews musicians with a twist, he appears to be so good at researching each artist they're almost freaked out by how knowledgeable he is, often given to the artist in the form of gifts. The manner in which the artists treat Nardwuar can be taken as instructive as to whether they're massive wankers or not.

The needle drop.
              I don't agree with all of his reviews, but I'll respect his opinions because they're backed up. I have time for how prolific he is in output. If there's a more prolific uploader, I've yet to discover them.
              Last edited by Mr Delicieux; 18-12-2020, 16:17. Reason: So many spelling mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                Jay Foreman style of comedy usually gets on my nerves but for some reason I find his stuff really funny - Map Men is great. Tom Scott is a less funny but equally watchable equivalent.

Geoff Marshall and All The Stations is another one.
                The problem for me with Jay Foreman is his style of comedy does get on my nerves which is a shame because the subject matter is usually good. Tom Scott is good as is Geoff Marshall and agreed about Jago Hazzard, unfortunately because, again, it's interesting subject matter.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Geoff Marshall. Jay Foreman's ones seem so deeply researched (for instance his amazing Unfinished London series) that I forgive him anything. And I do find the gentle humour rather endearing actually.

B1M is a tremendous shout. Those videos about for instance the Docklands Light Railway are impeccably informed and effortlessly fascinating. The inside track on all the ?s that are spent under our feet!

I remember a former member of our parish raving about Simon Roper's videos about Old English. They're really great. They're just him sitting in a room talking about some interesting facts about Old English he's come across. But it's like running into a really clever person in the pub and spending half an hour in their company, and walking away having learned something you didn't expect, which I really value right now

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                    Ashens if like me, you like cheap tat, random gubbins and old (usually broken) electronics.

LGR, Modern Classic, Nostalgia Nerd and This Does Not Compute for more old computer stuff.
                    I love Ashens and Nostalgia Nerd. At the beginning of Lockdown I think I practically went through all of their back catalogues. LGR I struggle to get into, I'm not sure why.

I've never seen Modern Classic or This Does Not Compute so I may have to have a look at them.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                      I remember a former member of our parish raving about Simon Roper's videos about Old English. They're really great. They're just him sitting in a room talking about some interesting facts about Old English he's come across. But it's like running into a really clever person in the pub and spending half an hour in their company, and walking away having learned something you didn't expect, which I really value right now
                      Just watched one of these in which he talked about the origins of the word "nickname". Good stuff.

Comment

Glad you liked it. I used to be addicted to linguistics podcasts but I haven't found a good one for a few years. Podcasts now tend to be much more slickly produced and bubblegum-ish these days. But this guy just sitting down and chatting for a bit I love.

I'm a big fan of John Rogers's walks around East London. Anyone who knows a bit about that area would dig them. This used to be known as psychogeography but it's just him unpeeling the many layers of local history and they're beautiful. And the comments are even more fascinating than the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk1...bF703QHR8qj8og

Comment

This guy's videos on word origins are always good too. This one is about ciao ​​​​​​
                          https://youtu.be/ZAsNO9eXLgM

Comment

So slaves were Slavic peopke.

Comment

ad hoc, yes, that channel's tremendous, I might have cottoned onto it from you actually.

Comment

I like Timeghost who are currently doing WW2 week by week, (they're up to Dec 41) and Between Two Wars a series looking at the inter war years, as well as some other bits and pieces of mostly 20thC stuff. It's really well researched, and I find the presenter Indy Niedell quite engaging. Plus their channel isn't monetised so no annoying ads.

Comment

I recommend Kim Justice for old video game stuff. Their documentary on Sensible Soccer was immense. And seconded on Let's Game It Out - the Cooking Simulator and Zoo Tycoon ones had me close to helpless with laughter.

I watch a couple of drumming ones - the 80/20 Drummer and Drumeo - and I've found considerable comfort this year from Matchbox Garage and baremetalHW (toy car restoration). Oh, and I can't recommend Techmoan highly enough, if you're into old AV stuff, home cinema stuff... it's almost difficult to describe, a real pot pourri of old stereos, failed formats and retro tech.

For old TV I have loads, but Cleops is my current favourite, just for the sheer breadth of weird and unusual stuff they have on there.

I've got too many old football ones to list here, but gr8footy and 1980s Football Heaven are probably my two favourites.

I have dozens more of these, probably. I follow hundreds.
                                  Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 20-12-2020, 15:11.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                    IOh, and I can't recommend Techmoan highly enough, if you're into old AV stuff, home cinema stuff... it's almost difficult to describe, a real pot pourri of old stereos, failed formats and retro tech.
                                    Yes, I have a subscription too. And his comments thread must be the most polite and respectful I've ever heard on YouTube.

I'm a bit obsessed by videos of people fixing things (several Techmoan videos are him fixing used stuff). Odd Tinkering is another one; as is the Stew Mac guitar channel (Dan is amazing).

Comment

How could I forget Techmoan? And yeah, +1 for Cleops.

For more modern gaming stuff (although he does often dip into retro as well), Scott The Woz is supreme. There's something about his style and sense of humour that really clicks with me.

HITC Sevens is another good football one - it's clear that Alfie does his research and is willing to do more niche videos.

Comment

Quite like The Chieftain – an Irish Army chap who moved to the US, joined the US Army, and now does military history videos. Mostly insanely detailed about tanks, with some diversions into ships and other topics.

https://m.youtube.com/user/TheChieftainWoT

Comment

I like PBS Space Time, although I can't pretend I understand a lot of it. (But I have somethhg of a facination with black holes.)

Comment

My favourite is Storror. Their Roof Culture Asia film has appeared on Amazon Prime.

I hate heights but enjoy death defying parkour.

Nightscape is also good value in this field. His video of climbing one of the tallest chimneys in Europe was spectacular.

Comment

Another one I like is Tasting History with Max Miller. It's basically him recreating dishes from historic recipe books, with some background history of the dish itself.

Comment

Just listening to Timeghost about the Cuban missile crisis. Very interesting and entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  I watch the ten minute Steve Dangle hockey podcast edits. I'm taking a break from the Elite Dangerous universe but will be diving back in soon so Obsidian Ant is good.

On the Geoff Marshall / Jay Foreman thing, you might like Jago Hazzard for covering similar ground - however his delivery and voice grate on my very soul.

Captain Joe is really good for finding out stuff about planes.

The B1M and Half as Interesting are worth the occasional dip into. And Chris Harris Drives has moved to the Top Gear channel and is worth it.
                                                  So it's not just me that thinks that about Jago Hazzard?

Thank goodness for that

Comment

Working...
                                                  X