Hugh Grant - worst actor of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugh Grant - worst actor of all time?

Frau imp told me the other night she wanted to watch the Amazon Prime series 'The Undoing'. Was I interested? Why not, it's not like I'm off fucking out anywhere. Okay, but there's a problem, she said. I said it couldn't be that Robin Williams is in it, because that annoying cunt's already dead. No, she said, looking at me. Not Robin Williams. Oh fuck, I said, not Hugh fucking Grant? Not Hugh 'posh Englishman holding in a fart' Grant? Not Hugh 'my expression suggests I've just crapped myself, but it's the only expression I have' Grant?

Yes, she said. And I want you to promise me that if you watch it, you won't take the piss every time he comes on the screen with that expression on his face. Okay, I said. I'll try.

Anyway, we enjoyed the six-parter well enough. Hugh certainly wore that expression a lot. And it was frau imp who started laughing every time he did, knowing what was going through my head. But here's the thing - he was actually quite good in this role because the role required that he had to pretend to be an embarrassed Englishman who's just crapped his pants. It was part of the character's shtick/personality disorder. So, the director thought, 'Fuck, Hugh Grant's the only one available for this, we have to mould the role specially for him. We have to alter the script so that he spends most of his time fooling the audience and the jury (he's on trial for murder) into thinking he's an awkward Brit trying not to let out a wet one.' Well played.

He's still the worst fucking actor of all time, mind.

He was brilliant in Paddington 2, hamming himself up to the max. He stole every single scene he was in. It's nice when an actor starts to be comfortable with what they're good at, and Hugh Grant plays Hugh Grant fantastically well. It's a bit like Roger Moore in his dotage.

Comment

Not even the worst called Hugh? Fraser for example- always plays the dim sidekick eg Poirot's foil Hastings. Tbf his wife Belinda Lang is very fanciable as a sleuth (Troy Alleyn)

Comment

Ricky Gervais is a distinct one note actor. I think he's worse than Hugh Grant.

Comment

I just came here to write exactly what NHH did. Paddington 2 is just wonderful from start to finish, and it achieves the almost impossible in getting even better whenever he is on the screen.

He's a very good actor who got trapped into playing Hugh Grant. And now he's comfortable with that, he's usually excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            He's a very good actor who got trapped into playing Hugh Grant. And now he's comfortable with that, he's usually excellent.
            I don't think he's fot trapped into playing Hugh Grant, I just think that's his limitation, and he's pretty decent at that level.
            If you want a shit actor to criticise then start with Vin fucking Diesel.

Comment

Threes up on Hughie G and Paddington 2 - it's an awesome film and he hams it up tremendously.

Comment

Grant was good in that Jeremy Thorpe dramatisation, A Very English Scandal, too. He’s settled into being a decent villain in his middle-age.

Comment

A lot of actors are essentially the same in every role that they take on though. The skill is in finding the settings where their thing will work to best advantage. I watched The Untouchables yesterday and it reminded me how in the '70s and '80s Robert De Niro was lauded for his immersive preparation and how he disappeared into his roles. What stands out upon viewing them now is the irreducible core of Robert De Niro-ness in everything he did. He's still my favourite actor though.

Hugh Grant has become very settled into playing villainous roles that notionally undercut his former heartthrob status, although he has been doing the bad guys for longer now. He definitely seems to enjoy those more than he did straightforward romantic leads.

The worst actor of all time question may hinge upon whether Steven Seagal can properly be described as an actor.

Comment

Another vote for Grant in Paddington, and Florence Foster Jenkins, which was closer to his old HG persona.

Another vote for Gervais, words can't describe how much I hate Mr Smuggy Mc Smugface.

Comment

I've got a couple of Hugh Grant anecdotes.

Not very good ones, mind.

Comment

I couldn't even call what Gervais does acting. Such such such a cunt. Hugh Grant has great comic timing, leave him alone.

Comment

Strange things to say. Some of his recent work has been very good indeed. Getting older has allowed him to extend his range.

Comment

Not while Hayden Christensen exists, he's not.

Comment

Another vote for Paddington right here. What a cracker of a movie that is.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                Not while Hayden Christensen exists, he's not.
                                He still does?

Comment

​​​​​​All the bile for Hugh Grant when both his erstwhile squeeze and Hugo Weaving earn a crust from the business?

Comment

I saw Hayden Christensen in a film called something like "life as a house" when he was a teenager. Before his appearance in whichever star wars films he was in. I know this may be difficult to believe but he was brilliant. Film was a bit meh but in a strong cast he really stood out. I only saw one of those post the original trilogy star wars films and he was godawful.

Comment

I used to work round the corner from Ricky G who seemed a decent cove when met in the pub/ mini Sainsbury etc

My school chum Gervais H disliked the name and offered to fight anyone who wouldn't pronounce it 'Jarvis'

Comment

I've not seen the Paddington movies - not because of Hugh Grant, but because CGI Paddington looks creepy as all hell compared to his 70s puppet counterpart.

And I'll second what slackster says upthread about A Very English Scandal - Grant's bloody good as Thorpe.

And finally, Grant can't be the worst actor of all time while we have Josh Hartnett's oeuvre.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                          ​​​​​​All the bile for Hugh Grant when both his erstwhile squeeze and Hugo Weaving earn a crust from the business?
                                          Hugo Weaving is great. Agent Smith by far the best part of The Matrix.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                            I've not seen the Paddington movies - not because of Hugh Grant, but because CGI Paddington looks creepy as all hell compared to his 70s puppet counterpart.
                                            Weirdest take of the thread so far.

Comment

Hugh Grant was very good in an unforgiving role as The Englishman Who Went Up A Mountain But Came Down A California Hookers Chin

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                                Just watch the very creepy CGI Tintin film immediately beforehand and CGI Paddington will seem fine in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Just watch the very creepy CGI Tintin film immediately beforehand and CGI Paddington will seem fine in comparison.

If we're talking about creepy CGI, I haven't seen anything that comes close to beating The Polar Express.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X