X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carry On to the Pearly Gates

Barbara Windsor RIP

1. Style icon.

2. Like many Carry On actors, she was capable of much more.

She was fab in those films, though.

We got a glimpse of her potential as a serious actress in her last days of Eastenders, which she played without make-up.

3. She was a Stoke Newington gal, but I used to see her in Marylebone High St a lot in later years, with that wiggly strut, always dressed up to the nines.

Comment

Yep, underrated actor.

Some, er, dodgy friends in her life. How much this was forced upon her by circumstances I am unable to say.

Comment

Lovely coincidence that she married a Mitchell in real life.

Comment

People who aren't wearing black armbands should just piss off

Comment

I remember her being in Eastenders, even though I have never knowingly watched Eastenders.

Comment

RIP, Babs W. There were some tremendous comic performers among the Carry On cast, which made many of the films - not all of them - a widely-shared guilty pleasure.

I'm sure she was just fine in EastEnders, however I find that programme completely unwatchable.

Comment

Mindboggling that she was in Eastenders for 22 years. Wow. There's a super cut doing the rounds of all the many, many times she slapped someone in the programme which is either funny or moronic or both depending on how you want to view it.

Comment

I went through phases of watching Stenders.

Babs’ long turn as Peggy makes the ridiculous TA Oberman’s claim to have been “Britain’s favourite pub landlady” even more ludicrous.

Comment

Comment

Babs on Gove

https://twitter.com/drmatthewsweet/status/1337285455201636352?s=21

Comment

There can't be many of the Carry On stars left alive, I know that Jim Dale is still alive but I'm not sure of any others. Barabara Windsor was very good in the Carry Ons but it was in Eastenders where she showed what a great actress she really is.

Comment

She was descended from one of the Match Girls.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                            Great picture ,even though Kenneth Williams could be a bit of a prick when he wanted to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                              There can't be many of the Carry On stars left alive, I know that Jim Dale is still alive but I'm not sure of any others.
                              Leslie Phillips. And Mike Baldwin.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Great picture ,even though Kenneth Williams could be a bit of a prick when he wanted to be.
                                "I must say I like this Barbara Windsor. She is a charming little girl." Kenneth Williams Diary; Thursday, 6 February 1964.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                  What a gorgeous picture. Her episode of WDYTYA was very moving too.

Comment

Respecting the dead..

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1337700760516227072?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                      Julian Holloway was in a handful of them, when a younger man who wasn't Jim Dale was called for. He's still with us at 76, although is better known as the son of Stanley Holloway, and father of Sophie Dahl.

Comment

Major Shorthouse.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                          Well, ‘Johnny Briggs’. Don’t think he showed up as his Coronation Street alias.

Comment

Working...
                                          X