Two days before Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two days before Thanksgiving

So given that the film begins on this day with Steve Martin racing Kevin Bacon through Manhattan for a taxi, we’ll be watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles tonight.

When I went to Chicago in 2015, I made sure I went to the El station where Martin and John Candy said their farewells and I got a shot of a train leaving, just like in the film.

That's danielmak's local line, if his signature is an accurate representation of his location.

I am either Green line or Metra (the matter being you only take the Green when the Metra is FUBAR). But I have never had to travel either since we moved here. Maybe next summer.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
      That's danielmak's local line, if his signature is an accurate representation of his location.

I am either Green line or Metra (the matter being you only take the Green when the Metra is FUBAR). But I have never had to travel either since we moved here. Maybe next summer.
      I don't know which station that is. That looks like a Pink line train leaving so I assume it's Quincy and Wells in the Loop. Most films feature Loop stations when the CTA is used for filming. Anyway, the Purple Line stops there during rush hour when the Purple runs express. It's strange that I have not been on the train since March 13 and I have no idea when I will be on it again.

I assume you're out past Oak Park, Caja, given that description?

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

I don't know which station that is. That looks like a Pink line train leaving so I assume it's Quincy and Wells in the Loop. Most films feature Loop stations when the CTA is used for filming. Anyway, the Purple Line stops there during rush hour when the Purple runs express. It's strange that I have not been on the train since March 13 and I have no idea when I will be on it again.

It’s LaSalle/Van Buren.

Comment

Out at exactly Oak Park, yes.

Comment

Was it the same station as While You Were Sleeping which I once saw on an aeroplane?

Comment

Ok. That stop is one away from the a Loop office for my campus, but I'm rarely at that campus. I can't remember the stop in While you Were Sleeping, but also Loop for sure.

We looked at Oak Park when I first moved here, but a combination of commute and apartment sizes/prices led to other alternatives.

Comment

imdb says that While You Were Sleeping was Randolph/Wabash, which no longer exists

Comment

Ok. That stop is one away from the a Loop office for my campus, but I'm rarely at that campus. I can't remember the stop in While you Were Sleeping, but also Loop for sure.

We looked at Oak Park when I first moved here, but a combination of commute and apartment sizes/prices led to other alternatives.
                  I could have sworn that train looked purple...

I guess it depends where you are coming from - taking an hour or so off a painful commute made Oak Park seem a miracle (if I ever go to an office). Space is certainly not cheap though.

Comment

The purple stops at that station as well but only during rush hours (starting a little early and leaving a little late). It looks pink to me, which runs in the same direction (clockwise) through the Loop. But we might have a gold dress/green dress thing happening here. Haha.

BTW, when the pink line was created in 2005 or 2006, it was named by school kids in the area. The final vote was between pink, silver, and gold. It was hilarious to read comments from adult men who lived along that line and felt as if there masculinity was challenged by having to ridd the pink line.

Comment

Working...
                    X