• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission Possible: Re-educate Us

Jules et Jim did nothing for me.

Comment

We await Mr Arshavin's defence of Jules et Jim - keen to read it actually.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm up to defending it but I thought it was a very good film around a 8/10 for me.

The main reason I liked it was the pace of the movie. From the moment the film started it whipped me along, attracted and kept my attention. The bonhomie and great friendship of the two at the start was attractive to me in it's heightened form. The gay, carefree world they inhabited was slightly silly but endearing to me. I could certainly see why it could be dismissed as whimsical though.

Then, Jeanne Moreau arrived. I found her presence beguiling and the photography of her pretty much thoughout the movie was extremely sensual. Her character was manipulative and seemed to take pleasure in hurting those who held her dear. Still, you couldn't help hoping that her journey would end in happiness although you knew in your heart it wouldn't.

The interaction between the three characters was fantastic. Their motivations, troubles, love and occassional disdain was expressed brilliantly.

I did think that the film lost it's drive and purpose near the end and the interaction with characters other than the main three didn't convince. However, enough good will had been built up for me to still have a warm glow of appreciation at the end of the film.

Comment

I just couldn't get into it at all, and I must say I found the Jeanne Moreau character annoying and unsympathetic, which rather spoilt the flow of the film for me.

You can nominate another if you like (or is this thread slowly petering out?)

Comment

I didn't nominate because I broke the rule originally to stick my oar in about Breathless.

Some Like It Hot perhaps? I did find it enjoyable but I didn't see why it gets mentioned at the very top of critical lists.

If anybody wants to jump in with a film that didn't measure up feel free.

Comment

Working...
            X