No announcement yet.

This is the way to the Mandalorian thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I might keep an eye out for that because the artwork in the credits is one of my favourite things about the show.

Comment

Caught the whole thing the past two days.

************OBVIOUS SPOILERS***********

Just a perfect 8 episodes. Every scene mattered to the story, unlike Season 1 when there were a lot of Incredible Hulk saving the problem in a town of the week before moving to solve another problem in another town the next week. I thought the show was going to tread water like that for 5 seasons. This certainly blew that out of the water.

They set out to fix so many issues with the stupid universe of the movies and fix so many issues with the characters. So you have Boba Fett. Many younger fans don't get Boba Fett. All he did was look cool, then fall into a big worm. However, you weren't alive when you could send in the proof of purchases with the rocket-shooting Boba that choked a kid to death, and you have ultra-cool people like Method Man who were all about him.

So you make up a race/religion/sect/order....pretty decent start. Then how to you put them on equal terms with the Jedi....you have a metal that can stand up to a lightsaber. And that metal is the basis of their religion. Done. Perfect job.

Then you have that metal rod be the nastiest instrument of death in any show. Then irony of ironies, it's Boba Fett's face when he's smashing those Stormtroopers that makes him into a force as scary as his helmet was.

The show was always derivative, as in what Kurosawa movie they were ripping off, however the Wages of Fear exploding nitroglycerin meets Indiana Jones truck chase was so well done, and brings me to the next point....everything looked real. Those ghouls chasing the truck on that floating rocket pontoon looked great. How many crappy action scenes over the years....and here we have people crumpled and broken and falling on their heads and simply looking like what would happen with a body with normal laws of physics. Everything looked great.

It was also fun. There's a smirk that the UFC sheriff gives when she looks back, knowing the two Mandalorian women are about to jet pack up and blast all the stormtroopers. As an actress, having fun being on a show like this, then the character having fun that such awesome characters are on your side. Then the touches of cheering on the Tie Fighters when they come to the rescue ("I bet you never thought you'd be glad to see a bunch of stormtroopers.") Then the sheriff preventing Moff G's suicide and sitting his ass down like a clown. Then the touch of being in the character's shoes of seeing the black-cloaked Jedi with 80s hair on the monitor, as we see what they see on the monitor.

I don't know where the show will go. It worked because of the bond with Mando and Baby Goldarr or Steve Grogan or Gorogo or Golgo 13 or whatever Baby Yoda's name was. I was hoping this year that The Mandalorian of the title would turn out to be Baby Yoda, especially after that Orange Jedi rejected him.

I also don't know why Mando didn't give him the silver ball at the end. Each time he looked back, I expected him to zip it out of his pocket. But, after 6 shitty stink bombs of prequels and sequels, I'm so happy they showed it's not about the spaceships blowing planets up...it's about a character and their droid twisting screws into metal doors as the two suns go down.

Comment

"Orange Jedi" is Asokha Tano, a major character from the Clone Wars and at least one novel. She appears at the end of Rebels too. She's getting her own miniseries too, hopefully, wrap-up/continue the Rebels story.

I do think they are using these shows to try to fix some of the mistakes made in the most recent films, especially the last one. They're going to at least explain the origin of Snoke and the Cloned Emperor. So at least the story will make more sense even if that's not really where it should have gone. Hopefully the forthcoming stories won't spend too much time on that.

I think it may also fully explain why Luke got so jaded and left civilization. That was the bit that a lot of fan boys don't like, but I thought that was actually the best part of the new movies. It's implied in the films, but only fully explained in the books, that the New Republic struggled for a lot of the same reasons the old one did. It's just very hard to get that many different planets spread across a galaxy to work together. We can't get 50 states to do it effectively, so it makes sense that all of those different species would struggle to get it together. And in the books, the news that Leia is Darth Vader's daughter is very bad for her political career. It's not fair, of course, but the Fox News of that civilization made a lot out of it, I guess. And the Jedi aren't much help.*

So when everything went down with Ben Solo, it only makes sense that Luke would just feel disillusioned with the whole thing and want to be a hermit. Because, that is exactly what has happened over and over and over with real people throughout history who were deeply committed to a cause and/or religion. In fact, it's a standard part of the archetypical spiritual journey. Like, for example, Jesus. And the Buddha. And, well, pretty much all of them. It's also a pretty standard experience for career military people. At some point, they all start to have some doubts. The ones that don't are psychos and should be kicked out.

The fan boys who say "he'd never do that" are saying that they want characters to just stay the same, which is the opposite of, you know, TELLING A FUCKING STORY.

They had a handle on a good resolution to the story with Rian Johnson and then they caved into fucking Reddit and gave it back to the guy who made Lost to create something that tried to make everyone happy and is now just widely regarded as an epic fail.

But while a failure like that would kill most franchises, fortunately, they had this streaming service they needed to launch and were wise enough to hand the keys to Dave Filoni, Jon Favreau and a few other excellent directors.

Plus, the invention of The Volume is revolutionary. When George Lucas made the original films, he had to take everyone to Tunisia and Norway and what not. It was very expensive and extremely difficult. Now, they can just make all of it in a big room in Manhattan Beach and it looks like a $250m blockbuster.

*The Jedi are actually pretty bad at doing what they're supposed to do. Yoda et al really blew it in the Clone Wars by never figuring out who Darth Sidious was or what he was up to and Obi-Wan didn't do a good job keeping Anakin on side, needless to say. (They also kicked out Asokha for a crime she didn't commit and then tried to get her back but it was too late.) And then they managed to leave most of their order, including school children, in danger and they almost all got murdered. Yoda alludes to this in the superior Last Jedi, but then it isn't really explored.

I also don't know why Mando didn't give him the silver ball at the end. Each time he looked back, I expected him to zip it out of his pocket.

I don't know where the show will go. It worked because of the bond with Mando and Baby Goldarr or Steve Grogan or Gorogo or Golgo 13 or whatever Baby Yoda's name was. I was hoping this year that The Mandalorian of the title would turn out to be Baby Yoda, especially after that Orange Jedi rejected him.
        I thought Grogu still had the ball with him in his little pocket or that it was lost when the Razorcrest got blown up.

It looks like the show will play out the whole Dark Saber/Fate of Mandalore/Bo Katan story line. That started in The Clone Wars and Rebels. It will also help to explain what happened on Mandalore and where Din came from and how his sect of Mandolorians is different, etc.

I suspect that maybe that was the original plan and they didn't expect Grogu/The Child/Baby Yoda to become a massive cultural phenomenon so there's been more focus on him than originally planned.

Also, I heard a recent interview with Ron Howard where he said there will not be a Solo sequel but that he thinks some of the shows will continue to explore that "gangster" part of the Star Wars galaxy. I suspect we'll see a lot more of that in this forthcoming Boba Fett series.

But they'll have to resolve Grogu's story too. After all, he isn't in the Rey movies at all, so does that mean Kylo Ren murdered him? Or maybe they can retcon those stories somehow.

Asokha didn't reject him. She just knew, from her own experiences with Anakin and getting kicked out of the Jedi for bullshit reasons, that she's not qualified to train him. Plus, she's on her own quest to find Ezra and Thrawn, as she mentions. That's a classic western/samurai kind of plot - "I have to follow my own path to the end, but I will give you advice on where to go next."

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 28-12-2020, 20:00.

Comment

Disney + has just released season 2 of the behind-the-scenes series.

Comment

I loved series 2. The elements of subversion of the republic = good, empire = bad, seen through the eyes of a race/order who hate the Jedi (and see no difference at all between being ruled by one side of that argument or the other) was very clever. The X wing guys turning up as basically just crappy cops, well, that is exactly the role they'd have assumed, and yeah they'd have behaved that way. And the ex-Imperial bloke now imprisoned by the republic for his 'crimes', when in his view the rebels were the terrorists. That, too, made you stop and think about the assignment of 'rebel fighter' or 'terrorist' in a much deeper way than the fairytale narrative of the original. And as for the finale ... well, you know. Wow.

Comment

Edit: I didn't quite get why Boba would want to take over Jabba's palace. It's not like Tatooine can have particularly happy memories for him. It's like coming back from the worst holiday you've ever had in a shitty resort and deciding to buy a timeshare there.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 30-12-2020, 10:17.

Comment

I guess he plans to take over the whole organization somehow.

He lived in Tatooine for a while, apparently.

Comment

So, Gina Carano (aka Cara Dune) has managed to get herself completely fired for basically saying that being a Republican at the moment is akin to being Jewish in Nazi Germany. A couple of months ago she got in a storm for mocking the Twitter trend of putting pronouns in your bio. She also tweeted mocking mask-wearing and that the election had been stolen. However, it's taken the comments about the Holocaust for the studio to confirm that she no longer has a contract with them, and isn't going to have one now. She has also been dropped by her agent.

It's not entirely clear what will happen to the mooted Rangers of the New Republic series that she was apparently going to be the lead actor on. I thought it sounded a bit shit anyway and with The Book of Boba Fett and the Ahsoka series on the way, Rangers looked like a weak effort. There's also an Obi-Wan Kenobi series with Ewan Macgregor in production. I don't feel much interest in that.

And then we have the ridiculous rumour that The Mandalorian season 3 will feature some kind of "timeline" crossover story which will free Disney up to redo Episodes VII - IX because Rise of Skywalker has not been met with fan acclaim and a lot of people hated The Last Jedi as well.

I'd like to see a Rey series set after Rise of Skywalker but that's because I like Daisy Ridley as an actor. However, she has said she is done with Star Wars. I don't blame her.

Comment

I admittedly would like Disney to do right by the sequel cast in some way, seeing as very few of the problems with the sequels had anything to do with them.

News that Pedro Pascal is going to head up a "Last of Us" series as well... makes me wonder if season 3 as a whole isn't as sure a bet as before.

Comment

Heartbreaking about Carano. I felt that character was an outstanding role model for my daughter. Strong, fun, sassy, intelligent. That knockout of Gus Fring was one of my favorite moments in any movie, ever.

I know she's from UFC Land, but wish it was different.

Comment

Heard they're keeping the character, with Lucy Lawless in the frame to play her.

Comment

lucy lawless may be too busy campaigning for greenpeace, gay rights and BLM to do the gig.

Comment

I thought she was a crap actor anyway, TBH.

Comment

Enjoyed the second season much more than the first and will be interested to find out what happens to Grogu and how they find a way to explain his (her?) absence from the later films.

One slightly annoying thing though, I know the Stormtroopers are crap thing has become a running joke but seriously, what is the point of them? Not only can they not hit anything, unless, of course, its someone wearing Beskar, their armour is completely pointless. I mean, seriously, what is Stormtrooper armour for? It doesn't protect from blaster fire, it doesn't even protect them from a punch in the face. Yes, it looks iconic (and the old armour is a million times better looking than the Apple iArmour of the Last Order) but its absolutely useless. Was Chris Grayling in charge of the Empire's military procurement programme?

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                Heartbreaking about Carano. I felt that character was an outstanding role model for my daughter. Strong, fun, sassy, intelligent. That knockout of Gus Fring was one of my favorite moments in any movie, ever.

I know she's from UFC Land, but wish it was different.
                                UFC land seems to attract people crazier than the world of wrestling, and that's saying something.

Recast or replace her, it's not exactly without precedent. I also think that there is a time jump for Season 3, so do a Poochie on her to sideline the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                                  I admittedly would like Disney to do right by the sequel cast in some way, seeing as very few of the problems with the sequels had anything to do with them.

News that Pedro Pascal is going to head up a "Last of Us" series as well... makes me wonder if season 3 as a whole isn't as sure a bet as before.
                                  Apparently he is staying with Mandalorian, because he’s not actually in it much. The character on screen is usually a stuntman.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratorello View Post
                                    Enjoyed the second season much more than the first and will be interested to find out what happens to Grogu and how they find a way to explain his (her?) absence from the later films.

One slightly annoying thing though, I know the Stormtroopers are crap thing has become a running joke but seriously, what is the point of them? Not only can they not hit anything, unless, of course, its someone wearing Beskar, their armour is completely pointless. I mean, seriously, what is Stormtrooper armour for? It doesn't protect from blaster fire, it doesn't even protect them from a punch in the face. Yes, it looks iconic (and the old armour is a million times better looking than the Apple iArmour of the Last Order) but its absolutely useless. Was Chris Grayling in charge of the Empire's military procurement programme?
                                    It seems to be getting worse.

Comment

I was asking my neighbour about that. HIs explanation was that you only ever see them fighting against wizards with energy swords, or absurdly over skilled non-wizards, armed with the equivalent of elephant guns, and a whole lot of plot armour. 99.9% of the time the armour is fine. They're not supposed to be able to deal with the Wizards. That's what Darth vader is for. And if they run into heavily armed rebels, well there are literally millions of them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                        . HIs explanation was that you only ever see them fighting against wizards with energy swords, or absurdly over skilled non-wizards, armed with the equivalent of elephant guns,
                                        And teddy bears with bows and arrows. And catapults.

Comment

I'm way late on this and finally finished season 2 tonight. I read back through some of the posts, but remain confused about the timeline. It seemed to me that this series falls after the last trilogy of films. But reading back through these posts I might be wrong. If this does fall after, it makes no sense why Luke is so young at the end. And if this is not supposed to follow the last trilogy, it seems strange that a baby Yoda would not have been in that trilogy without any explanation of him succeeding or failing with his training. Anyway, if someone can help with a timeline, that would be great.

Comment

It's set a couple of years after Return of the Jedi, hence the New Republic being on a building programme. In the final trilogy there are hints of something going wrong at Luke's jedi school and so the assumption is something happened to Grogu then.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              It's set a couple of years after Return of the Jedi, hence the New Republic being on a building programme. In the final trilogy there are hints of something going wrong at Luke's jedi school and so the assumption is something happened to Grogu then.
                                              Ok. That helps. I need to go back and do a full movie screening one after the other.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

Ok. That helps. I need to go back and do a full movie screening one after the other.
                                                There are rumours Disney are going to redo Episodes VII - IX so you might be able to spare yourself that.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

There are rumours Disney are going to redo Episodes VII - IX so you might be able to spare yourself that.
                                                  They should redo 1-3 first. And leave 7 as it is.

Comment

7 is already a reboot of 4 so why bother doing it again?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X