We cast the Trump movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We cast the Trump movie

I'll start with Alec Baldwin, surely a shoe-in for the lead.

I've grown to hate Baldwin's Trump. (Although I was desperate for an SNL sketch last night with Baldwin as Trump wondering what Baldwin would now, having had an easy life for four years with everything spoon fed for him and hordes of people responding to his every whim, etc... etc...)

Comment

Didn't Melissa McCarthy play Trump on SNL as well? It would be much funnier to cast a woman playing him.
      Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 08-11-2020, 23:14.

Comment

Johnny Depp as Mike Pence because he can play creepy as fuck characters.

Comment

Rashida Jones as Melania

Comment

Jack Black as Steve Bannon

Comment

Offer John Oliver the role of Steven Mnuchin, and he'll literally bite your hand off.

Comment

Ben Stiller has got to get the, blink and you'll miss it, Anthony Scaramucci part.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  I'll start with Alec Baldwin, surely a shoe-in for the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    I've grown to hate Baldwin's Trump. (Although I was desperate for an SNL sketch last night with Baldwin as Trump wondering what Baldwin would now, having had an easy life for four years with everything spoon fed for him and hordes of people responding to his every whim, etc... etc...)
                    He's awful. Doesn't particularly look like him, and he doesn't sound like him. Compare him to James Austin Johnson, who I think is one of the few people to nail the cadence and the random interruptions of his train of thought.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGf3HqVgk3u/

One of the minor things that's good about the Trump era ending is that hopefully we never see SNL putting Alec Baldwin out there and needing to have a political cold open every week. They would often, but it wasn't always mandatory. The writing they've had for Trump has driven me crazy, I think the show has gone really downhill. Unfortunately Carrey as Biden isn't really any better and they seem to think that the country needs their take on whatever is happening, so we're stuck with it.

My last complaint about Baldwin, I swear, but did you see him holding up the sign reading YOU'RE WELCOME last night? What an asshole.
                    Last edited by Incandenza; 09-11-2020, 01:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      Ben Stiller has got to get the, blink and you'll miss it, Anthony Scaramucci part.
                      Ben Stiller was Michael Cohen on SNL, he did very well getting Cohen's pleading eyes and sense that he was being thrown under the bus.

Comment

The only good thing on SNL at the moment is weekend update, which is often very funny

Comment

Robert Duvall for Rudy.

Comment

Robert Duvall supported Rudy's run for the 2008 republican nomination. I don't know if he'd play ball. He's also nearly 90

Comment

I didn't think the age was a bar, but the other bit most certainly is.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                The only good thing on SNL at the moment is weekend update, which is often very funny
                                Chappelle’s opening set was excellent, as it was four years ago.

And I thought the one they had last night about the hail storm was funny. Totally not topical. Could have been on the show in 1975. I’m glad they did one like that.

And the one about the racist brand mascots was funny because it fell apart.

Update is the best part. Michael Che is a great stand up. Some of the one off characters are good. I really like Heidi Gardner’s characters, like “every girlfriend in every boxing movie.”

SNL is hampered because the in-studio audience sucks. Good stuff gets cut while obvious topical stuff is left in because of the live audience.

I think Baldwin is ok as Trump, but they should have had Daryl Hammond do it. It was funny once exactly because it was kind of a bad impression, but that gets stale. And, of course, parody of Trump is pointless. He’s beyond it.

They’ve gone to getting non-cast ringers to do these big political roles, I assume, because it helps the clips do well on YouTube. Not many people stay up to watch it live, I suppose. But people might be more likely to click on something with stunt casting.

Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer was the best of those. Matt Damon as Kavanagh was ok too. Maya Rudolf as Kamala Harris is good because everything Maya Rudolf does is good. But they need to let their own cast have a go.

But I feel like it’s been less willing to try random nonsense to see what sticks. Bill Hader did those Vincent Price specials that were excellent even though probably only 5% of the audience got the references. (John Ham as James Mason, for example) Same with The Californians. The best stuff is when they just try something and commit to it.

BTW, watching the clips from last night it occurred to me that we seem to have collectively chosen Dave Grohl as the official ambassador of American rock and roll. I don’t recall when that was decided, but he seems to take the job very seriously. Springsteen is still the most revered, I suppose, but it seems like whenever there’s an “occasion” like Letterman’s last show or last night’s SNL or the RNR HoF this year, the Foo Fighters play and/or Grohl is asked to say a few words. They usually do a decent job.

Comment

SNL is a strange thing, I know a reasonable amount about it yet never watched a single minute of a single episode, ever

I'm sure it's on some channel or other here but never felt the urge to check

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                                    SNL is a strange thing, I know a reasonable amount about it yet never watched a single minute of a single episode, ever

You're not missing anything. It averages one funny sketch a week.

Comment

Lovely AIDS joke from the hilarious Dave Chapelle this week, so yeah, SNL, rah rah rah. Pile of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                                        This came up on another thread recently - Sky Comedy started showing it earlier this year (on Sunday evenings), with the previous attempt to show it in the UK being one of the ITV channels in 2006 (who strangely showed it a few weeks behind).

Comment

Back on track, I'd have Ellen DeGeneres as Mike Pence, if only for the shits and giggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

This came up on another thread recently - Sky Comedy started showing it earlier this year (on Sunday evenings), with the previous attempt to show it in the UK being one of the ITV channels in 2006 (who strangely showed it a few weeks behind).
                                            Most of it is on YouTube.

Comment

Ah, of course, Melissa McCarthy was Sean Spicer, not Trump. Still reckon she would do a good job playing Trump though.

Lisa Kudrow to play Paula White. She'd have a field day with that.

Comment

I'm not sure if he's still in the acting game, but Clyde from Every Which Way But Loose would make a great Trump. For instance, here's his reaction when he sees the postal vote counts coming in from Philadelphia:

Comment

Can't believe you'd compare him to an ignorant primate. Clyde, bless him, deserves better.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X