• Show
Clear All

On my radio

A Yes Minister retrospective

Fair enough.

But who's been given yet another fee as a contributor

Edwina Fucking Currie

Off!

I can’t recall the last time I listened to the radio.

Comment

I listened to an hour or so of Craig Charles' funk and soul show on 6Music last night while I was cooking dinner. It was a greatest hits list so was reassuring and enjoyable rather than ground breaking. He is a warm radio presence, as demonstrated to a (slightly) wider audience when he stood in for Steve Lamacq in the drive time slot during the first lockdown. There was a droll moment when he said something along the lines of, "A lot of people seem to be celebrating tonight. To maintain balance, stop enjoying yourselves."

Comment

Tonight, prompted by reading an article on Annie Nightingale's 50 years at Radio 1 on the BBC website, I am currently listening to one of her Sunday night request shows from 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2gqNxUqG40

Two things strike me after listening to the first half and hour. Firstly, it's a real hodge podge musically - so far we've had Alphaville, Boney M, Propaganda, Paul Young, Gary Numan, Dio, The Police and Jon and Vangelis. But then it is a request show, I guess. Secondly, it's strange to hear a radio show which has no instant listener feedback via texts, tweets, social media etc. Every link is basically Annie Nightingale reading out a listener's letter asking for a request.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Tonight, prompted by reading an article on Annie Nightingale's 50 years at Radio 1 on the BBC website, I am currently listening to one of her Sunday night request shows from 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2gqNxUqG40

Two things strike me after listening to the first half and hour. Firstly, it's a real hodge podge musically - so far we've had Alphaville, Boney M, Propaganda, Paul Young, Gary Numan, Dio, The Police and Jon and Vangelis. But then it is a request show, I guess. Secondly, it's strange to hear a radio show which has no instant listener feedback via texts, tweets, social media etc. Every link is basically Annie Nightingale reading out a listener's letter asking for a request.
          I remember the minutes at length of precious airtime as John Peel would announce an address for you to write to to get a record by some obscure band. Nowadays, it would be downloads, Twitter accounts and all that sort of wizardry. I remember him putting a call out for people to send records out to a DJ trapped in Novi Sad in, I assume, 1999-ish which I did but goodness knows how long he took reading the address out (and probably repeating it every night over the week as there was no way of listening to repeats then).

As for the premise of radio generally, I listen to Radio 4 constantly and only change the dial at 2.30 on a Friday to Radio 5 and Kermode and Mayo's film review then returning to the obituaries on Last Word on Radio 4 again. A great start to the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            I can’t recall the last time I listened to the radio.
            In a way that fits in to my current environs as perfectly as an L.L Bean wardrobe and a Subaru, I listen to NPR a lot. I used to listen on the train on the way to work in the morning (listening both ways quickly taught one how much material gets recycled through the day and Morning Edition > All Things Considered), but now settle for a little in the morning and defaulting to it in the car.

Comment

Even if I wanted to listen to NPR in the car, I wouldn't do it via the actual radio. I'd stream it on my iphone and then relay it to the speakers via bluetooth.The radio doesn't actually work very well for some reason that I've never bothered to fix because it's unnecessary.

Comment

I can’t recall the last time I didn’t listen to the radio.

Comment

Our car is 10 years old. We could’ve bought something with an iPod dock but didn’t. So when we do drive it’s Radio 2, 4 or 5. Lots of saturday morning drives mean we really miss Danny Baker. And I have a long-standing since teenage working class chip on my shoulder about radio 4 talking down to me, so it’s never easy listening

Comment

Much like Jah, radio is on every day in my home.

Anyone tried Times Radio? I was going to avoid it, but it's become my in-bed-before-sleeping station. No phone ins, just talk and news, and no repeats of daytime shows which is the main things that pisses me off about Radio 4. Portilo's Friday evening show has been good.

My routine is now Radio 4 (Today) > Radio London (Robert Elms) > break> Radio 4 (PM) > break > Times Radio

Comment

I used to listen to a mixture of Radio 1 and 4 when in Britain and the World Service while in Africa, along with sporadic visits to the English service of Deutsche Welle, American Forces Radio for some reason and SPLA Radio in Sudan. Earlier in my life, usually with the radio under my covers in bed, it was Radios Veronica and Caroline.

Our son, now nearly 17, has never deliberately turned on a single radio station.

Comment

I listen to Hawsbee and Jacobs every afternoon, and replay Trans Europe Express going to work on Monday Mornings. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I also enjoy Max Rushden's Saturday and Sunday morning shows.

The rest of Talk sport is unlistenable drivel.

I also spend some time on 4 and 5, but a lot of the time now it's podcasts and audio books for me.

My headphones, though are barely off my head from dawn to dusk.

Comment

The new season of Counterpoint begins today, so presumably that means RBQ has been delayed until March, and Brain of Britain until June.

Comment

Max Rushden is pretty much the only reason to switch on talksport nowadays. It's just all too earnest and out to shock whereas he treats it all with a bit of irreverence that cuts through it all. I still give Hawksbee and Jacobs the odd listen when the I'm in the mood but it's starting to feel slightly stale. Max replaced Andy last week and it made the show so much better.

I need a going to sleep station as since the demise of the best thing on radio, 5live's Up All Night, I've struggled with the more chat and opinion based format so will give STev9e's Times Radio suggestion a listen. Back to talksport, Martin Kelner's overnight slot on Fridays and Saturdays is enjoyably good stuff though.

Comment

Is this the general radio thread?

I thought I'd mention 'Soul Music' which is one of my favourite shows and frequently ruins me emotionally. Today's episode is on 'Sunshine On Leith' so should be very, very good.

Comment

Sunshine On Leith is an absolutely beautiful song. Thanks for the recommendation, Ray, I'll catch up with that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X