No announcement yet.

As Time Goes Bye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the officer wet his trousers at the end, NS? I saw that when I was young and it has always stuck im my mind.

Comment

Did he ever get his sausages?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
        Does the officer wet his trousers at the end, NS? I saw that when I was young and it has always stuck im my mind.

Yes, I recall him standing to attention with some sort of homemade gun, crying as urine ran down his leg. That was a strong memory for me too, along with the senior officer's statement at the end and the point at which the officer in question realises that he really is starting to lose his mind.

The toilet soiling scene is at the half-hour mark exactly.
        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 06-11-2020, 23:42.

Comment

By a strange coincidence he popped into my mind last night when I was getting ready for bed. It occurred to me that the former Wolves defender Geoff Palmer shared his name, something that I had never consciously registered before. This morning I stuck the news on and discovered that he had passed on. Sad news. Like others, I think of him in Perrin first, but he was always watchable. Just thought I'd run it up the flagpole, see if the budgie bites.

Comment

Just reading the titles of the 'Fairly Secret Army' episodes again and hearing them in Palmer's Truscott voice makes me laugh out loud :

A Chap Worth Following

Operation Charm

Romance, Plughole

The Pulses Quicken

Eight Bods, Need More

When the Talking Had to Stop

I've Got a Job for You

Odd Chaps, Women

This Could Be Extremely Dangerous, Sir

One Mistake, Whole Caboosh, Plughole

Ever Tried Making Love To A Marxist?

You're Going To Be A Hero, Harry

Treacherous Chaps, Causes

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Ha, I said cock up in the catering front elsewhere, and was disappointed that someone didn't recognise it.
              I’m slacking. I blame Joe Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                Did he ever get his sausages?
                Thread title could have been "it's so final, isn't it? I'd say it was pretty bloody final", though that was Cleese/Booth.

But yeah, he was in so much and delivered the giggle goods all the time.

Comment

Thanks for that link NS, I just re-watched it and it still has the tension from when I first saw it. I was saddened to read that Hans Meyer, who played Hauptmann Ullman, died earlier this year at the ripe old age of 95! He used to scare the bejeezus out of me as a kid...

Maybe Colditz was good for longevity.

Comment

“I sometimes wonder if you have the balls for this job, M.”

Never a star, but the next best thing, I reckon. Seemingly, always in work across a range of different genres. One of the most recognisable voices around too.
                    My own contribution to the “I remember him in..” would be to point out his three appearances in Doctor Who. Twice with Jon Pertwee (I’m going to watch him in his second appearance, 1972’s The Mutants, soon as part of my preamble across stories I’ve never seen) and then more than 40 years on, with David Tennant. The 1970 series of Doctor Who (Jon Pertwee’s first) is acclaimed in some quarters as the best series in the show’s history. It’s certainly packed with memorable images and moments, and the sight of Palmer slumped dead in an underpass and unknowingly spreading a deadly virus through London in Doctor Who and The Silurians (shut up, pedants! That’s what it’s called) is one of the most chilling.

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post
                      (shut up, pedants! That’s what it’s called)
                      Fair enough, but I remember that kicking up something of a stink at the time on Junior Points of View.

Comment

As Time Goes By is fantastic. But then, I'm:

a) a sucker for a whimsical rom-com
                        b) a sucker for anything with Geoffrey Palmer in it
                        c) a sucker for anything with Judi Dench in it

I loved Perrin as a kid, without really understanding half of it. I've revisited it many times since and whilst some of it hasn't aged well, Rossiter and Palmer are just endlessly watchable. I've never seen the full run of Fairly Secret Army but will be rectifying that in the near future.

RIP.

Comment

Toby - if you haven't already, you need to read the Perrin novels, which have a lot more detail therein. Having seen the series, you'll then apply the actors to their literary roles, which works nicely.

('RIP' is of course also appropriate to the main character.)

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                            As Time Goes By is fantastic. But then, I'm:

a) a sucker for a whimsical rom-com
                            b) a sucker for anything with Geoffrey Palmer in it
                            c) a sucker for anything with Judi Dench in it
                            As a tribute, on Monday BBC Four showed the wedding episode of As Time Goes By. It was utterly lovely.

As quoted above, their time together on the set of Tomorrow Never Dies must have been a laugh.
                            Last edited by Snake Plissken; 12-11-2020, 12:52.

Comment

Thanks to this thread I recently re-watched the first two seasons of Perrin on YouTube.
                              YouTube has since taken to recommending other British comedies based on this, the nadir being today when it thought I'd like to watch Mind Your Language, described as a "hilarious comedy".

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                the nadir being today when it thought I'd like to watch Mind Your Language, described as a "hilarious comedy".
                                I mentioned this before, but I was once in Guyana and visited a massive shop in the city centre, basically selling counterfeit DVDs. Mind Your Language was one of the few British comedies on sale.

As a veteran of language FE courses, I always felt this was ripe for a reimagining.

Comment

Palmer brought a lot of observations from his own military service into his roles. He also loved Fats Waller, whom he selected on Desert Island Discs.

Comment

Working...
                                  X