X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sean Gonnery

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Sho Shad... RIP

Liked him in his films up to the seventies (Man Who Would Be King is ace) but quality tapered off massively IMO. Always seeme to play Connery rather than the character... good innings tho'.
    Last edited by MarkF; 31-10-2020, 12:38.

Dr No More
    You Only Live Once
    Coldfinger

Comment

He was your straightforward handsome leading man. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but it was what the studios and audiences wanted from him. He was successful at breaking away from being Bond, which could have swamped him. He also went out of the business on his own terms, because he wanted to enjoy his later years.

Comment

Going to copy and paste something that I wrote elsewhere. I know it was a cliche to say that he played himself no matter what the nationality of his character, but he was a bloody magnificent screen presence, so why the hell not? He was an important part of so many movies that really wouldn't have been as good without him. Ignoring the obvious, check out Hunt for Red October, The Name of the Rose and Outland.

As for The Untouchables. You've got pretty much everyone on top of their game. De Niro, De Palma, Kevin Costner. A massively strong supporting cast. People doing the best work of their career. And the first thing that everyone remembers... Sean Connery.

You can argue about whether he was the "best" Bond, but there is no argument that he made Bond. The recent SMERSHPod episode on "From Russia With Love" nails it, halfway through Bond as a franchise clicks into place. It's not about the plot, it's about this guy. Everything else is decoration. Focus on the tall good looking Scottish fella who is capable of being a complete hard as nails bastard because he's got charisma coming out of his ears.

Christ, he even makes The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen watchable.

RIP Sir Sean.

Comment

Quite upset at hearing of his passing but other than a respectful RIP won't be making a long eulogy.

I'm shaken but not stirred.

Comment

He was in an awful lot of my favourite films, most of which were entertaining easy watches, but if you want to see him acting superbly in something unexpectedly gritty check out The Offence. It's an astonishing film.

RIP.
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 31-10-2020, 13:15.

Comment

The Hill is brilliant.

Comment

I never knew he only learned to play golf for the scene in Goldfinger. It obviously kindled a lifelong love of the game, he was virtually ever-present on Pro-Celebrity Golf in the 80s, along with Terry Wogan and Jimmy Tarbuck.

Comment

Isn't it? One of my favourite films.

A friend once was on the production staff of a TV show interviewing him told me that after taking the mics off, the interviewer asked him where and when he was happiest. Quick as a flash he replied 'Julie Andrews, up the arse, 1967.'

Comment

He had a home in SWFL and my wife saw him a couple of times having breakfast at a local restaurant.

Comment

Thinking of my old mate's impression of him - "it's perfectly acceptable to schlap a woman with an open hand" and lol'ing.

Thanks Jim!.

Rest in POWER, King.

Comment

exactly that Tony

Comment

Agree with all that’s been said about him making the James Bond series and propping up a lot of films off the back of his presence from the late 80s onward. In terms of his most interesting spell of films, the period from 1964 to 1976 saw him make films which cemented him as both something other than James Bond or “Sean Connery”: the likes of Marnie, The Hill, The Anderson Tapes, The Offence, Zardoz, The Man Who Would Be King and Robin and Marian.

Comment

I really liked him as Indiana Jones's dad.

RIP Sean

Comment

I’d have gone with ‘Double-O Heaven’.

RIP, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke R View Post
                                Thinking of my old mate's impression of him - "it's perfectly acceptable to schlap a woman with an open hand" and lol'ing.

Thanks Jim!.

Rest in POWER, King.
                                I hope Luke R(epulsive) will be banned for this Snake Plissken
                                Last edited by Nefertiti2; 31-10-2020, 17:02.

Comment

Yeah, "acsheptible" surely

Comment

I'd have gone with "No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!"
                                    As others have said he was always Sean Connery in whatever role he played, and that didn't seem to matter. My favourite role of his was when he was Sean Connery in Time Bandits.
                                    Always made me snigger in Highlander when his Spanish character Ramirez had a stronger Scottish accent than the Highlander himself.

Comment

Totally agree. He was brilliant in The Time Bandits.

Comment

I'm not defending Luke R, but didn't Connery once say that hitting a women was no big deal?

His first wife, the actress Diane Cilento, accused him of physical and mental abuse.

Anyway, Bond, yeah, much better than the smarmy Roger Moore. I stopped watching Bond in the 80s though.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          You can argue about whether he was the "best" Bond, but there is no argument that he made Bond. The recent SMERSHPod episode on "From Russia With Love" nails it, halfway through Bond as a franchise clicks into place. It's not about the plot, it's about this guy. Everything else is decoration. Focus on the tall good looking Scottish fella who is capable of being a complete hard as nails bastard because he's got charisma coming out of his ears.
                                          Agree. Connery made Bond the character he was, whether you think he's the best or not. Another way to look at it is it has taken five different incarnations before there was one that could be said to have possibly emulated him.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                                            I'm not defending Luke R, but didn't Connery once say that hitting a women was no big deal?

His first wife, the actress Diane Cilento, accused him of physical and mental abuse.

Anyway, Bond, yeah, much better than the smarmy Roger Moore. I stopped watching Bond in the 80s though.
                                            More the fact that Luke Rsole seems to be celebrating this as smart or funny thing to say, I'd suggest.

Comment

I think the re-posting of it was more than a little misguided, rather than out-and-out offensive in itself.

Comment

The Anderson Tapes is an enjoyable obscure Connery, but I'd watch him in most things, even the preposterous The Rock (which I was already watching because Nic Cage is a top chemical weapons scientist...)

I heard the salty Julie Andrews anecdote with a different year and Petula Clark as the sodomee.

Comment

...which suggests that it probably isn’t true.

It was more likely Jenny Agutter, in 1974.

(Or perm any other ‘pure’ British actress in any given post-war year.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X