Bough Has Snuffed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnr View Post
    Am I right in remembering that he got sacked for the 'prostitute sniffing cocaine off of his cock' expose, but then was photographed going back to the same venue months/years later?
    Maybe he found his loyalty card in an old suit. You can't waste a card full of stamps.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
      Current presenters of a similar vintage, Lovejoy say, seem far less accepting of middle age. My dad would commonly wear a shirt and tie under a pullover for church and informal gatherings but I'd be astonished if a friend turned up for a social engagement in that combination.
      The shirt, tie, v-neck sweater combo is wrong 'un-ism of the highest order. I see this quite a bit in the work environment - or used to in normal times, but was confronted by it in person recently, by someone at least ten years younger than me, so it can't be purely an age thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
        Maybe he found his loyalty card in an old suit. You can't waste a card full of stamps.
        I'd like to think that each stamp was applied with a freshly-inked stiletto heel.

Comment

Apparently Frank remarked that he hoped that his long and illustrious career wouldn't be overshadowed by one or two errors of judgement in his private life.

That's probably worthy of an entry in an online dictionary definition of "wishful thinking".

Comment

The shirt, tie, v-neck sweater combo is wrong 'un-ism of the highest order. I see this quite a bit in the work environment - or used to in normal times, but was confronted by it in person recently, by someone at least ten years younger than me, so it can't be purely an age thing.
            Lambswool v-neck, yeah. Slim-fitting merino wool is fine, I reckon. It's the look du jour of probbaly more than half the managers in the PL/FL.

Comment

The "FRANK BOUGH IS WEARING A JUMPER" thing was a big deal at the time, partly because of the way in which Breakfast TV started in this country.

When ITV sorted out their new franchises in 1980, they awarded the new breakfast TV franchise to TVAM, who were on a "mission to explain", with the "famous five" - David Frost, Angela Rippon, Anna Ford, Michael Parkinson and Robert Kee - both hosting and being directors of the company.

The BBC had been planning to launch later in 1983 but brought it forward by a few months to gazump ITV, and it was widely expected that the BBC's breakfast TV would be Richard Whitmore and Kenneth Kendall or whoever sitting behind a desk giving dry news reports, so when Frank Bough and Selina Scott appeared with leather sofas and Bough at least - Selina Scott dressed like a Princess Diana clone at the time - in something approaching casual wear, it was quite a surprise.

It also fucked TVAM, who'd been kind of expecting a straight news fight with the BBC. They'd have lost that regardless because they messed up their negotiations with ITN and started with no news gathering service of their own, all of which left them with one of the most unappealing TV shows ever - there were reports that Daybreak, their 6am-7am straight news show, registered an audience of zero more than once - and TVAM remained a soap opera until terrible bastard Tories - notably Jonathan Aitken, though even he wasn't even the biggest arsehole involved at the time (Anna Ford famously threw a drink over him at a party not long after she became the first of the five to quit) - grabbed control of it and made it profitable at a terrible cost.
              Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 28-10-2020, 15:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Lambswool v-neck, yeah. Slim-fitting merino wool is fine, I reckon. It's the look du jour of probbaly more than half the managers in the PL/FL.
                You appear to be channelling Alan Partridge. I'd get that looked at if I were you.

Comment

On TVAM, I must say I had a sneaking fondness for Roland Rat after the franchise inevitably went even more down-market than the Beeb, but Ann Diamond was the most appalling Stepford Wife Tory you'd want to have lecturing you in the mornings (she was Brexit-TV 33 years early). Nick Owen seemed to copy his style from the Americans, based on the Anchor Wankers I see over here that are essentially Owen with an American accent.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                    The "FRANK BOUGH IS WEARING A JUMPER" thing was a big deal at the time, partly because of the way in which Breakfast TV started in this country.

When ITV sorted out their new franchises in 1980, they awarded the new breakfast TV franchise to TVAM, who were on a "mission to explain", with the "famous five" - David Frost, Angela Rippon, Anna Ford, Michael Parkinson and Robert Kee - both hosting and being directors of the company.

The BBC had been planning to launch later in 1983 but brought it forward by a few months to gazump ITV, and it was widely expected that the BBC's breakfast TV would be Richard Whitmore and Kenneth Kendall or whoever sitting behind a desk giving dry news reports, so when Frank Bough and Selina Scott appeared with leather sofas and Bough at least - Selina Scott dressed like a Princess Diana clone at the time - in something approaching casual wear, it was quite a surprise.

It also fucked TVAM, who'd been kind of expecting a straight news fight with the BBC. They'd have lost that regardless because they messed up their negotiations with ITN and started with no news gathering service of their own, all of which left them with one of the most unappealing TV shows ever - there were reports that Daybreak, their 6am-7am straight news show, registered an audience of zero more than once - and TVAM remained a soap opera until terrible bastard Tories - notably Jonathan Aitken, though even he wasn't even the biggest arsehole involved at the time (Anna Ford famously threw a drink over him at a party not long after she became the first of the five to quit) - grabbed control of it and made it profitable at a terrible cost.
                    Thanks for that summary Ian – it was before my time so I've always been exceedingly hazy about the details of how and why everything went down re TV-AM in particular. Its poor reputation makes more sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Anchor Wankers
                      Love it, SD.

Comment

There's an excellent series on Vimeo called ITV In The Face which has an episode about its history. Strong, strong recommend, if that's your sort of thing. (It is, as you may have gathered, very much my sort of thing.)

The most famous example of TVAM's news incompetence was the Brighton Hotel bombing of 1985. While BBC Breakfast Time was showing (dramatic, no matter what you thought of the man himself) footage of Norman Tebbit being removed from the debris, TVAM had John Stapleton in a phone box on Brighton seafront describing what he'd seen to viewers. They were a complete shambles in one way or another for almost their entire existence. Still, at least they lost their franchise in 1991, which was just about the only bright spot of The Broadcasting Act 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

You appear to be channelling Alan Partridge. I'd get that looked at if I were you.
                          Hahahaha. Unfortunately I had to stop buying my favourite merino jumpers last December as the manufacturers invited the prime minister to their site and pictured him holding a garment which endorsed him. Eff that.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            Nick Owen seemed to copy his style from the Americans, based on the Anchor Wankers I see over here that are essentially Owen with an American accent.
                            Nick Owen still presents the local news in the Midlands, at 72 the youthful upstart rival to Central's Bob Warman, 74.

Comment

Picking up on some minor Bough ephemera, I understand that his main job when he did the 1966 Ayresome commentary was working at ICI Billingham.

And boff was (probably still is) local kid slang for fart, so yer man had an even funnier name than Christopher Lillicrap, but probably not as funny as Brian Cant to cockney kids. Indeed, I can remember a time when accusing another of letting go a trump or doing a pump one might ask, 'orr, have you franked yer mucky get?!'.

Comment

What was the terrible cost, if it was already terrible?

Was it TvAM or the beeb that had Mike somebody, who iirc excelled in the jumpers, and blandness?

Comment

Was it TvAM or the beeb that had Mike somebody, who iirc excelled in the jumpers, and blandness?
                                  Mike Morris, he was TV-am.

Comment

I think you're remembering the late Mike Morris, who was Good Morning Britain's anchor until TV-am lost the franchise to GMTV in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Morris_(TV_presenter)

(As WFD sneakily posted while I was sourcing the link!)

Comment

Anne Diamond?

Comment

The initial financial crisis led to Kerry Packer buying a 25% share in the company. His henchman, Bruce Gyngell, was the guy who sacked all the technicians when they went on strike on 1987 and ran the station by whatever means they could.

Margaret Thatcher was so impressed by his fucking of the unions that he became an unofficial advisor to her on all matters television (along with Michael Green, who had a certain junior working for him by the same of David Cameron), and this is what led to the Broadcasting Act 1990, which broke regional ITV by making the franchise application an auction rather than an assessment of the quality of bidders and removed the barriers on ITV companies buying each other.
                                        ​​​​​​
                                        ​​​​Within a few years, one of these had profited hugely and the other hadn't. Green's company Carlton outbid Thames TV in 1991 and ended up owning half of the whole of ITV within a few years despite the fact that their programming was unrelentingly shit. TVAM, however, were outbid by GMTV and lost, even though the entire broadcasting act looked very much as it had been written entirely to reward Gyngell for "breaking the unions." By the time that ITV PLC came to exist, he was dead.

Comment

Mike Morris, he was TV-am.
                                          He interviewed a former housemate of mine, after she survived a ferry capsizing somewhere near Greece while on a school trip. One of her teachers died in the incident.

Comment

That must have been incredibly traumatic.

Comment

Thanks for the very interesting background MNII, and others for Mike Morris. Goodness, he was dull.

Comment

Bough in
                                                Coffin

Bough
                                                Fucks
                                                Off

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                  Nick Owen still presents the local news in the Midlands, at 72 the youthful upstart rival to Central's Bob Warman, 74.
                                                  Yes, he's not like the Nick Owen you remember, Satch. Avuncular is his middle name.

Mention of Mike Morris reminded me of this wonderful clip with Jimmy Greaves, from 1987.

I was more of a Breakfast Time man myself, so I would have missed this gem of a rant. Indeed, during the Great Storm of 1987 that Greaves references I distinctly remember watching Nicholas Witchell broadcasting the entire programme from the CBBC Broom Cupboard.

And here is the evidence:

Comment

Margaret Thatcher was so impressed by his fucking of the unions that he became an unofficial advisor to her on all matters television (along with Michael Green, who had a certain junior working for him by the same of David Cameron)
                                                    A junior who hired got the job because his mother was friends with Green. Then got paid 90 grand a year as Head of PR while he waited for a safe Tory seat before becoming an MP, PM and told the country that it was supposed to pull up its bootstraps and work hard if it wanted to be successful in life.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X