Bough Has Snuffed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bough Has Snuffed

Frank Bough has left us. The events that led to his downfall might be the most surprising I can ever recall, given his image: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26063499

​​​​​RIP you old rascal, you.

If he was still employed by a TV company I'd have gone with "HR - Boughasnuffed!" as my title.
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 26-10-2020, 01:03.

One of TV's most accomplished live broadcasters (when he was live, as it were). Master of the under-rated skill of being articulate and calm when somebody's shouting in your ear and the link's on the blink. From the pre-internet days, I'd rate him top of the Sofa Uncles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      If he was still employed by a TV company I'd have gone with "HR - Boughasnuffed!" as my title
      Or: Bough coughs last cough.

A good journalist all round. He was the commentator for the famous North Korea -Italy match in 1966.

Comment

Had a soft spot for Chelsea IIRC

Comment

Sorry to hear that...

...and Uncle Frank's passing, of course.

Comment

Curious now that his career and reputation went into tailspin for an offence that wouldn't now make Tory ministers even begin to consider their position.

RIP..

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
              Had a soft spot for Chelsea IIRC
              Hackney Marshes?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                Had a soft spot after visiting the Chelsea S & M dungeon IIRC

Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                  Curious now that his career and reputation went into tailspin for an offence that wouldn't now make Tory ministers even begin to consider their position.

RIP..
                  It was unacceptable in the 80s. Unlike racist jokes and gay-bashing.

Comment

RIP. One of the most prominent individuals from my childhood telly memories. Brilliant live broadcaster.

Comment

Back in the 80s when Jermaine Stewart sang 'we don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time...' I always used to add '... with Frank Bough'. Turned out you probably did.

RIP.

Comment

Must be one of the last 1966 World Cup TV commentators to die. Barry Davis might be the only one who has outlived him, and he was born four years later (turned 83 on Saturday).

Amazing that Bough was only 55 when he was sacked because he had seemed to be in his 50s in the mid-70s.

Comment

Unusually they included the tabloid downfall part of his story in his eulogy on BBC News. "And then the work dried up..." intoned the presenter. Yeah, because the organisation you worked for sacked him.

Comment

Was his surname pronounced Buff or Boff? Assuming it wasn’t Bow (rhyming with Cow)...

Comment

Boff.

Which made the sexcapades story even funnier.

Comment

Am I right in remembering that he got sacked for the 'prostitute sniffing cocaine off of his cock' expose, but then was photographed going back to the same venue months/years later?

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                  Am I right in remembering that he got sacked for the 'prostitute sniffing cocaine off of his cock' expose, but then was photographed going back to the same venue months/years later?
                                  Yes, he remembered where he'd left his umbrella.

Comment

Launching BBC breakfast

https://twitter.com/tomhourigan/status/1320469456250937344?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                      Yes, he remembered where he'd left his umbrella.
                                      I'm not sure I want to know the preamble to that...

Comment

That velour jumper in Nef's link above really is horrible.

I'm definitely struggling with the knowledge that I'm now the same age as FB was when Breakfast Time launched.

Current presenters of a similar vintage, Lovejoy say, seem far less accepting of middle age. My dad would commonly wear a shirt and tie under a pullover for church and informal gatherings but I'd be astonished if a friend turned up for a social engagement in that combination.

Comment

I forgot that the Breakfast Time on screen clock (an innovation!) was analogue, so that the bleary-eyed viewer could instantly see the time, once they'd moved closer to the television and found their glasses and squinted a bit.

It shows what a different time it was that Bough was almost instantly justifying the sweaters and the "relaxed" atmosphere, as if it was sure to cause an outrage. An almost apologising for the intrusion as the programme took its place "at your breakfast table".
                                          I would have been 11 when the programme launched, and practically all my classmates got up early to view this momentous moment of history. TV, in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

I'm not sure I want to know the preamble to that...
                                            It sounds like a punchline to a joke (which I heard told about a vicar who had his bike stolen so he resolved to preach in the town square to shame the thief into returning it. He preached on the 10 commandments and when he got to command number 7 "Do not Steal" he really let rip and told everyone in no uncertain terms that thieves were going to hell. Then he got to number 8 "Do not commit adultery" and remembered where he had left his bike)

Comment

I think my mind was in danger of wandering to a far darker place, but yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                I would have been 11 when the programme launched, and practically all my classmates got up early to view this momentous moment of history. TV, in the morning!
                                                I was 8, and had a crush on the test card girl, so I resented this new fangled programme.

I also liked the selected pages from Ceefax that you used to get in the morning

Comment

Didnt bbc2 shut down for long stretches in the daytime into the 2000s as well? Tbh it was never the same when the mouth breathing "learning zone" pish edged out proper difficult zero production values OU stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X